“Dirty, Pee smell, unattentive”

Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer
Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Cong, Ireland
“Dirty, Pee smell, unattentive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Landed in Calgary by plane so going to Edmonton, too tired, stopped at Howard Johnson, boy!
boy! what a dirty room, hallway dirty, smelled like Pee and had dog hair on sheet, bathroom.
Read the reviews and it seemed,... but when came to motel, it was the ditiest motel ever been,
seems all reviews are done by owners. Came to front desk to check out and waited over 10min. and no one was there, got upset and left the motel.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms on 2nd building at the far end. Dity, smelly rooms and hallway.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Rooms were large, clean and comfortable! Had a great sleep and found the staff very warm and friendly. Breakfast was ideal. Location was great. All in all a great place to bed down for the night - we'll be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stopped here with my family for the night and found the staff and particularl the manager to be warm, welcoming and so friendly. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed. Breakfast the next morning was plentyfulband set us on our way for the day. Would recommend to anyvweary traveller.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I obviously didn't get one of the renovated rooms.At first I was given a room that had not beed cleaned. The guy at the desk commented, when he was activating my room key, that the computer said it wasn't but everything else said it was, so hopefully... It wasn't. Went back, and he immediately apologized, and gave me a new room. It was reasonably clean. The bathroom was spotless, although the baseboards in the main room could have used a vaccuum. The carpet was also very old, and stained. Didn't really want to walk on it bare foot.
My 2nd night there, it was hot, so I turned on the air conditioning, and made it about 10 minutes before I had to shut it off, it was so loud. Sounded like a plane taking off. Definitely wasn't able to sleep with it, so I just had to throw off all the blankets.

Beside the parking lot where I parked (below my room) there was a dumpster, that had obvious signs of a homeless person living there (a line strung up, with clothes hanging on it), which I found a little disconcerting, and definitely caused me to not go out to my car to grab something I needed at night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo