“Brutal!! First and last stay!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lions Campground

Lions Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Deer
Lions Campground
Red Deer, Canada
“Brutal!! First and last stay!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We live 3 hours from town and came up after work. We were called and told to hurry up because security would have to check us in at when we arrived 9:30 pm. Staff was rude and not accommodating whatsoever. Felt like being in a concentration camp no fire pits and tiny spots that were very cramped. Only had one vehicle at our site and was told if I "couldn't get it off the road " I would have to move it to guest parking. (It wasn't blocking more than 6" of the road) Will never stay at this park again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Sherease

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Half the staff are kind, friendly, helpful and sociable. The other half are impatient and rude. I arrived at the gate yesterday, got ignored because she was busy typing so I kept quiet, and a few seconds later with no eye contact made she greeted me with an abrupt "Yes?". There is obviously a lack of people skills. I reported it to one of the friendlier staff and he said this wasn't the first time people had complained to him about the staff's attitude. I'm not impressed, but I'm glad he listened.

Showers were once free. They're now $2 per 5 min. The place is maintained well enough with freshly cut grass and relatively clean bathrooms. There is a lot of shade from the trees, but as a result almost no airflow. They obviously have issues with people on a regular basis, including *possible* druggies, I overheard one of them say. Last night I woke up to two men fighting (verbally only). Security was called in to "deal with the situation" I was told this morning. Nevertheless, I was woken up to the yelling. It seems a few of the people in the camp have very little respect for others since they sometimes also enjoy revving their engines to show off how loud they can get, just as everything starts to get quiet.

It has been a very unwelcoming and unpleasant stay generally, but not all bad. Regardless, avoid this campground unless you're desperate and nothing else is available in or around Red Deer. Maybe your stay will be better than mine. Good luck.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mouse699

Travellers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

Standard, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Wish I could review the place but I was not able to even manage to get a reservation.
Tried to book a group in for Mud Hero in Aug. Was told the computer is down can I call back in 2 hours. I called back in two hours told can I call back in two weeks computer still down. My question is what has happened to doing things by simply writing them down and creating a temp filing system? It is very simple it happened for years before computers were around. Besides that I am a paying customer why make it so hard for me to give you my business? When I asked if it would be possible to give my information and have someone call me when the system was back up and running (which honestly if it was one of my business this would be happening and yes I am a business owner) I was told well you could but we would likely lose it so best to call back. I am stunned by the lack of customer service and even more surprised that there was no effort made at all to look after securing my business. It is a shame staff don't try to solve the problem and think outside of the box once in a while. I think job retraining should start by reviewing 1- Good Customer Service 2 - to make money you need paying customers to pay their wages 3 - It is in your best interest to make the business money not turn it away! Wow so disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bbbbbbbbbbeeeeeee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We camped here for two nights on a weekend -

NEW MANAGERS for 2013
Dave & Carol came out of retirement to manage the campground - and their experience, caring that each camper has a great experience, & attention to detail show very well...

CLEAN
Washrooms were very clean - no matter what time of day/night

STAFF
The overall attentiveness by the staff & managers to our requests was great - helping us find a great spot for two couples to set up our tents...

As we arrived late afternoon - most spots were not adjacent as we had hoped - Dave came up with a great solution - we set up our tents on the grassy overflow area - and used a nearby camping stall as our cooking/dining/fire pit base... This would be a GREAT solution to a large group (4-5 tents) that want to camp near each other (besides - it was waaay better setting up tents on the grass - than on a gravel camp site)

QUIET
The campground was certainly NOT a party place - evenings were quiet for the most part...

SECURITY
One nice feature - the gate to the public bicycle path is now locked - only campers have the pass combination... in years prior - this gate was open during the day - ANYONE could wander through the campground... that is not the case this year

ACTIVITIES
We spent a sunny afternoon rafting the Red Deer River. We put in at Fort Normandeau and enjoyed about a 2.5 hour float , arriving at the stairs landing below Lion's Campground.
The river current was very calm at the Lion's campground landing - you may want to tie a ribbon or something bright on the stair handrail before you set out - or scope the river so you recognize landmarks - you do not want to float past... ha ha

Hats off the staff and managers at this campground - sure hope you stay on for a few more years...

Thanks for a GREAT weekend

Room Tip: Arrive early on the day of arrival for best spot selection - Reserving a spot does NOT reserve a spe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

WHY WE CHOSE LIONS CAMPGROUND RED DEER
We had a last minute cancellation of a planned camping festival weekend - and with only a few days to find another camping venue... started searching - Many other places were either full or priced too high

WHAT I SAW LAST YEAR
Last year I visited friends who were camping here, and noticed that the washrooms were "iffy" as far as upkeep...

NEW MANAGERS THIS YEAR
Dave & Carol - the new managers this year are a couple who "came out of retirement" - and I have to say - they are doing an absolutely TERRIFIC job managing the campground... and it is no small feat!!!!

RESERVATIONS - ask all your questions
We cycled down to the campground on a Wednesday - and viewed the available lots. After deciding upon a couple adjacent spots, we reserved 2 tenting stalls
I was under the impression that reserving a stall would hold a particular stall... it does not reserve a particular stall - only that there will be a place for you... this is a bit confusing - as stall size and location can affect the stay - depending on tent size, vehicle size, etc...

PRICES
Tenting sites are $25/night - plus a $10 reservation fe to hold "a" spot for you (non-specific reservation) - (Power), firewood is for sale - or you can bring your own... (caution - do not transport firewood with the bark still on - dutch elm disease is easily spread and wipes out elm trees (one of the most popular urban shade trees

OUR ARRIVAL- Change of plans and BEST RECOVERY EVER!!!
When we arrived we were disappointed that we did not have adjacent spots but decided we would make the best of it...

Dave & Carol (the camp manager) asked me how things were - and I mentioned the miscommunication...

Dave then conferred with the check-in staff to find out what stalls were still open - then invited me to ride in his go-cart and we looked at a couple options... -

Dave suggested we could camp on the grass overflow area - across from a camping stall - & use the camping stall for firepit and cooking - as no fires were allowed on the grassy areas... -

This was an EXCELLENT solution - it worked out so well that the next time we camp - we are going to request this option if possible - for a group of about 4 tents...

WE definitely will return to Lions campground - as long as Dave & Carol are managing - if you are wondering about this season (2013) - all I can say is you will not be disappointed in how you are taken care of by the staff and the managers...

Thanks to the terrific staff and Dave & Carol for a terrific camping weekend!!!!

Room Tip: get there sooner than later in the day - even with reservations - available stalls are first come- f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Gord H
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Tiny campground, amazed at how many people they cram into such a tight place. No fires, they have terrible rules for pets (cannot leave pets unattended at all, no exceptions, you will get kicked out if you pop into the city to get groceries and leave your pup in your air conditioned trailer. The lady at the front said that she would prefer you to leave your pets in YOUR CAR and its not their problem) It feels like the farthest thing from camping here, we will NEVER be back and if there was another option for camping in Red Deer we would be pulling out and going elsewhere in order to participate in this weekends Mud Hero event.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank YourPrincessVee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Spent a few hours visiting friends at the Lions Campground on the Saturday of the Victoria Day weekend, and I have to say that it was a HUGE improvement from what I expected based on previous reviews. Very well supervised, scrupulously clean washrooms, an all-around pleasant experience. I understand that new, experienced managers took over on May 1st and it shows. Well done!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends