“Clean and a great price”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Red Deer
Western Budget Reddeer #1
Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Western Budget #1 in September. We opted for a jacuzzi suite as we always do. The desk staff were very helpful and actually seemed to take pride in their work, something that you see less and less of these days sadly. The room was the same western budget style room they all have: bed, tv, fireplace, stove, full size fridge, and of course the jacuzzi. They have the best jacuzzi out of all the hotels I have stayed at, including ones I have payed over $200 a night for. Not just an oversized bath tub that two people struggle to fit in. The room was exceptionally clean. There is a nice newer style theatre walking distance from the hotel and a few fast food restaurants as well. The breakfast the next morning was what you expect for a continental style: pastries, cereal, juice, milk coffee. Nothing to complain or write home about. I usually stay at western budgets anywhere I can because they offer great rooms and service for the great price you pay. The only complaint I have about western budgets everywhere is the beds are stiff.

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JustintimeAlberta

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at the Western Budget #1 in August 2011, the room was spacious, very clean, and the motel was quiet. The Manager was very helpful with directions and any inquiries we had and very pleasant to deal with. Will definitely stay here again and recommend this motel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
19  Thank mcKit57
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Front desk staff were courteous, competent and helpful while checking in and checking out.

I was immediately given the ground floor room I had reserved a couple of days earlier.

No problem allowing my bicycle into the room. (Mentioned only because some hotels do hassle cyclists).

The room ($74 plus taxes: $81 all in) was quite large and clean. Carpets etc seemed to be in good shape. The TV worked although not a huge choice of cable channels. Bathroom is a little dated (tile had obviously seen some repair through the years) but worked. My room also had a gas fireplace (only for decoration in July!) and a full sized refrigerator.

Considering the motel's proximity to a major highway, the room was amazingly free of road noise (in an alcove, on the side away from the highway). One should certainly request a room away from the highway, given the chance.

One should bring ear plugs, however, for the air conditioner. Why hotels persist in installing air conditioners with the cheapest, noisiest fans available never ceases to amaze. And here, there is no option to turn the noisy machine off and open the non-opening window.

The bed was quite nice although the pillows were wimpy.

A huge sign advertises $59 rooms, and I was offered one a week ahead of my stay. Two days before, when plans firmed up, they told me the limited supply of $59 rooms was gone and the next cheapest was $74 plus taxes. Which begs the question, if you are going post a sign aimed at the drop-in guest coming in off the highway, isn't it a little misleading to advertise a room that is guaranteed to be unavailable? All said, $80 is still a pretty cheap rate in summertime in the local market.

There is no hot tub but the small swimming pool (indoor) is clean and well maintained.

Free access to a computer in the lobby is nice for those travelling without laptops or smartphones.

For a cold continental breakfast theirs is quite good with a number of cold cereals, milk, real juice, and a large assortment of muffins, bagels, Danish pastries, butter tarts, etc.

In the "Gasoline Alley" highway service area are numerous restaurants of the fast food and "one step above fast food" variety. No gourmet dining here but with careful choices one can control one's intake of grease and salt. A Galaxy movieplex is a sort walk away. A new Hampton Suites, several blocks away isn't listed on most of the accommodation guides. These are the only two places to stay when quickly hopping off and back on the Queen Elizabeth 2 Highway south of Red Deer.

Room Tip: Away from the highway
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank energizer090
wbm1, Manager at Western Budget Reddeer #1, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Thanks for your review of our property, how ever I must point out that the temperature and fan control of the air conditioners off can be adjusted by the guest. Each room has two windows which can be opened as well. Our TV's have just been upgraded from 50 channels up to 90 channels and this includes 5 cable movie commercial free movie channels. This should be a good choice to suit most of guests viewing pleasure. Extra pillows are always available by just letting our front desk staff know about this.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was great.
We had a large room, almost 500sq feet! With a king sized bed, jacuzzi tub, apartment sized fridge table and chairs, sitting area with comfy chairs, and a large tv. Now the rooms could do with a renovation but for the value it was good. The room was clean and we felt right at home.
There was a continental breakfast, it was okay. There weren't many options compared to others offered at other hotels. There was your typical toast/bagel/english muffin, pastries, 4 cereals, and coffee/tea/juice. Nothing special but it filled our tummies.
I would stay there again or the value and because of the large jacuzzi tub (and complementary bath bombs) I would just bring some yogurt and fruit to complement the breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank BaseballChica

Thank you for the nice comments, our jacuzzi rooms are 450 sq feet and the jacuzzi s can fit 2 people easily. All of our rooms have gas fireplaces and this is the main source of heat in the winter time. Hope you visit again soon

Reviewed 14 June 2011

We went for a conference in the Capri Center which we registered late, so they were full. We were looking for very affordable and close to the Capri and it seemed to fit the bill plus others we knew were staying there. The motel is about a 5 minute drive away from the Capri so it was quite handy.
We had a room on the main floor, close to the breakfast room and the pool. The room was quite spacious and had an attractive fireplace and a fridge..no microwave. No glass cups in room, only plastic so it is very basic in that. A continental breakfast is supplied. It was nothing fancy. I have had better other places. It consisted of 2-3 kinds of cereal, toast or muffin. I think there was danish but no fruit or anything protein. It kept the hunger at bay though until we could find a lunch place. It is located on the freeway so getting out seemed a bit complicated getting north into town because of boulevard but we found a back way which made us happy instead of doing the main highway.
I had to try the fireplace although it heated the room up quickly. It would be nice in winter It was a nice touch..made you feel quite homey. Staff was courteous and we enjoyed the pool . It was quite cool temperture wise I thought and I felt a bit disappointed as I thought it was closed too early. There was Costco and Scotts Parable Christian Store (we enjoyed shopping in there) and numerous restarants are extremely handy to the hotel. We bought some groceries at Sobeys and utilized our fridge. We ate two meals out.
It was a good basic motel. I will stay there again

Room Tip: Handicap or elderly specify ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rangerpippi

Our Indoor Salt water pool is constantly maintained at 84 degrees all the time, we really can't go any warmer than that and our pool hours are very flexible as it is open from 8AM till 9PM every day. If a guest is request they want to use the pool in most cases we have allowed it and kept the pool open till 1030PM.

Reviewed 4 September 2010

These clever folks advertise that you can get a room for as little as $67 or $69 or something. But, when you get there, they firmly inform you that that's only for single people in a single bed. This is a bit misleading, as far as I'm concerned--not the best way to market yourself for long-term growth.

The rooms are plenty big enough and they are fairly well lit and quite clean. They are also quite large, for the price, and even have nice looking fake fireplaces.

There was no elevator and the overheated hallway reminded me of some old logging camp bunkhouses that I saw 40 years ago, but once we got in the room, it was easy to forget about that.

I usually prefer to stay at somewhat fancier places, but because the room was bright and large (and surprisingly quiet), I would definitely consider staying there again. I would just accept the fact that the true cost is closer to $80, which is still a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank UnpretentiousTravelr
wbm1, Manager at Western Budget Reddeer #1, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2011

Thanks for your review of our property. We do have rooms for $59.00 and they are usually full as regular travelers know about this rate and book some times up to 2 months in advance to guarantee this rate and have the room of their choice. We only have 2 floors here and will assist guests if they need help with luggage up the stairs.Our gas fireplaces are not fake, they are the only source of heat for the rooms in the winter time. In the summer time we have them turned off.