“Check out Barbero's Restaurant for excellent food and service.”

Sheraton Red Deer Hotel
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
“Check out Barbero's Restaurant for excellent food and service.”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family and I recently ate at Barbero's Restaurant located inside the Sheraton Hotel. We were impressed by the quality of the food and the outsanding service. The steaks were some of the best we have ever had!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Lisa F, Director of Sales at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments for our Barbero's Restaurant. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your meal and we really appreciate your feedback. I hope that you will join us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel at least 15 times. I always liked it, mostly for the easy location and food quality. Now that it is a Sheraton, I like it even more. I had a nicely renovated room on the Club floor. Really comfortable king bed and a really nice shower. Staying on the Club floor meant access to the lounge which was a really nice treat. After a full and busy day at a conference it was nice to grab a quick snack and drink while waiting for the dinner. As a conference facility it is really nice, though the main plenary room was very very cold. The only thing I don't like about this hotel is that there is only an outdoor pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lisa F, Director of Sales at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
We are so appreciative for your comments regarding your stay with us and are so glad that your stay was enjoyable. Your comments about our outdoor pool have been mentioned by many of our guests and while it is fantastic during the summer, it is unfortunate once the summer is over. We are also hoping that this will be addressed in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The property was great and the room was very comfortable and well appointed. The dining room was short staffed and short on food so not a great experience there. The food tasted great but was very slow and many items were ordered were missed or unavailable. Excellent gym!

Room Tip: Higher floors are best
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments. We are also very happy with the renovations that we have completed to all 241 of our guestrooms, the addition of our Club Lounge for our Club Level guestrooms and complete renovation of our Sheraton Fitness Centre powered by Core Performance with all new equipment as well as our Link@sheraton Business Centre and lobby. I'm sorry for the slow service and lack of menu options that you experienced in our restaurant during your stay. It was a very busy time for us and we were understaffed unexpectedly however it is our responsibility to ensure our high standards of service in our restaurant at all times and I'm sorry that this was not the case during your stay. Our food and beverage team is well aware of the concerns from our guests that did arise at this time and are working to ensure that these issues are addressed going forward. Thank you for taking the time to give this feedback. We really appreciate that and look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel on a Friday night as part of a convention. We arrived at Barbero's restaurant at 7:50 p.m. seeking a quick bite to eat. It took an unusually long time before someone appeared to seat our party of three in the half-full restaurant. We were then told that we'd have to wait to receive menus until other tables were done with them as they were out of stock. When we finally got menus we ordered a glass of wine each. After another long delay, two of our glasses appeared while the waiter said that he couldn't bring the third because the restaurant had no clean carafes. After another long delay, that was fixed and we ordered food. By this point realizing that the service was hopelessly inadequate, we asked for the fastest items that could be produced. Upon being told it was salad, it was salad orders all around plus an appetizer. We also asked for bread and were told that the restaurant was out of bread. The waiter insisted that they were baking more and that he'd go into the back to cut it himself to serve us. In fact, no bread ever appeared, nor did the appetizer. By 9:30 p.m., an hour and 40 minutes after we got there, the salads finally appeared. We ate quickly and left, now late for our next engagement. I related this story to the night manager, who profusely apologized (as had the waiter) and said that he would speak with the food and beverage manager the next day, but the hotel took no further action. Elsewhere in the hotel, the rooms are adequate (the primary thing saving this from a one-star rating) while the elevators still don't work properly (which has been going on for years) resulting in lengthy delays. This hotel is using its location in the centre of Alberta to milk convention-goers despite truly terrible customer service, inspiring this my first-ever review. I can only hope that someone at Sheraton reads this, realizes that this hotel is tarnishing the reputation of the entire chain and takes corrective action.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your stay with us. I'm an truly sorry about the slow and frustrating service that you received in our restuarant during your stay with us. On this evening we were obviously understaffed and did not provide the level of service expected from our guests. I appreciate that you did discuss your concerns with our night manager and I'm sorry that you did not receive any follow up regarding your concerns. We really do need and want to hear from our guests during their stay so that we can do our best to fix the concern while you are here and I'm sorry that this wasn't done on this day. I would like to find a way to try make this up to you as I am confident in our team and that your experience on this day does not reflect the level of service and product that we consistently do provide for our guests. Please do contact me at lfrancoeur@sheratonreddeer.com. Again, thank you for providing your comments.
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Had a great sleep in comfortable, clean room. We initially had some trouble checking in - but a very nice front desk person (with shortish red hair, I didn't catch her name) sorted it out for us and there were no further problems. Breakfast was good though a bit slow, some others of our group got there a bit earlier and said it was very quick before they got too busy though. Overall had a nice stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Lisa F, Director of Sales at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your comments. Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are made specifically for Sheraton and we agree that they do give a great nights sleep. I am sorry to hear about the delays in the service you received in Barbero's. We are working to ensure that we have enough staff during our busy times and I hope that this didn't cause you to be late to start your day. We hope that you will be back soon.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Hotel was a bit old and tired looking but our double queen room was lovely. Well appointed with extremely comfortable beds and pillows. Good A/C. Fridge in room. Good blackout curtains and quiet hallways when we were there. Front desk was very friendly and helpful as was room service. Small fridge in room and starbucks coffee for the coffeemaker. About 5 minutes drive from the highway. Lots of parking. Didn't seem to be much around within easy walking distance but I admit we didn't look too hard. We were not there long but it was very comfortable.

Toronto
Reviewed 24 October 2013

First time to Red Deer, stayed at the hotel for just under three weeks with a group of co-workers in August - September. This place is not bad, I really liked the choice of things to do onsite...if your in town for work...there is really very little need to leave the Hotel. Granted it's quite a large hotel, so you would expect a lot of options to begin with.

Western Bar...Personally, im not really a "western" sort...but definitely an appropriate theme for Red Deer...the place was a lot of fun to let loose on the weekend. Very lively crowd!!! The Red Deer folk clearly like to have a good time.

The lounge I found more suitable as a weekday evening spot...more tame and more suitable when you have to work the next morning.

The main restaurant, food was good...recommend their chicken caesar...yes a simple dish likely found about anywhere...but whatever they do to theirs...it's got my vote. It's but a busy little spot, not the quickest service at breakfast time...but not slow either...id say adequate. I didn't check out the Casino or the Gym so cant really comment on those.

A unique thing that I liked was that in lieu of opting out of having my room service daily...they give you a $5 voucher..I thought that was kinda cool. I've stayed at many of hotels and plenty give you the option of refusing daily cleaning service...but this place actually gave me something back for making an eco-friendly choice...I wish more places did that. Oh almost forgot...the beds: WOW! Super comfy...I mean absurdly so...slept like a baby every night.

Room Tip: Chicken Caesar...Give it an A+. A room facing away from the road and front Lot (I had one...but...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Lisa F, Director of Sales at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review, and for choosing to stay with us at the Sheraton Red Deer! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the amenities we have to offer. We are also very happy that you both choose to use, and were happy with our make a green choice option.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!