“Great club rooms, food left a little to be desired”

Sheraton Red Deer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
“Great club rooms, food left a little to be desired”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Overall was a pretty good stay. Some nights were loud but nothing too wild. Food selection in club lounge could certainly be improved upon. Found myself going down to eat breakfast at the restaurant to get better food.

I'd certainly recommend this hotel - great location if you're coming from southern Alberta as well. Front desk staff were fantastic. I will note that it is an awful time to visit this hotel during NHL playoffs - no TSN2 in the rooms! Killer!

• Stayed April 2014
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your review of the hotel! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the Club level service we provide our guests. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest stay with us, and I will be sure to make note of the food options for the club lounge and tv channels. We are glad you took the time to check our other hotel ammenities and that they were able to accomodate your needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on prior business trips to Red Deer and I always receive great service. The staff are friendly and always helpful. The rooms are always clean with very comfortable beds.
But be careful I have had work colleagues who booked at this hotel about 5 months ago and when they arrived were told there was no room for them. They had to head over to another not so good hotel in town... Not good for repeat business ...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, and are always glad to hear our guests enjoyed their stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that your collegues did not have the same experience you had with our hotel. I assure you that is not the standards we strive to meet for our guests and if they would like to get in contact with us at any time we would be more than happy to talk with them.
We truly appreciate your business with our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We knew we were going to be checking in quite late, so I took extraordinary steps to ensure that we didn't have any problems:
- I booked weeks in advance
- Directly on the Sheraton site
- With my credit card to guarantee my room
- And phoned in that morning to let them know that I would not be in until midnight, which they noted on my file

Also note that I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and have been staying at this hotel for years, long before it became a Sheraton.

So then, imagine how I felt when we unloaded our luggage and dragged ourselves in at midnight after a long, grueling day, just to be told they had no room for us. That’s right – no room! Midnight after a long day, tons of precautions, valued preferred guest with guaranteed room; and no room. They said they would have to “soft walk” us over to another hotel, just for the one night – the second night they would welcome us back to the Sheraton (for sure, they were going to book us in right then!) So where is that hotel? The opposite side of the city – as far away as could be. So we pack up the luggage, drive over to the north side, unloaded our luggage again, and went to check into our replacement hotel. The first thing that hotel said was “We told them we didn't have any room!”. Yes folks, they pawned us off to another hotel, on the opposite side of the city, at 1 in the morning, with no room! Fortunately the manager saw how bedraggled we were, heard our story, and bumped a room from of a group booking that she was pretty sure wouldn't be needing it.

Next day, after only 5 hours of sleep, we packed up our luggage again, knowing it was going to be another long day. At 8PM we unload our luggage back at the Sheraton and went to get the keys to our pre-checked room, just to hear those words again! “We have no room for you”. The promised pre-checked room had disappeared! After much checking they did find a room for us – with one bed for the three of us! That wouldn't work, so they checked and checked some more, and finally found a two bed room that they were using for furniture storage during renovations. So we waited in the lobby while they cleaned out this room and made it presentable.

On the positive side, they did give us a discount on the room, and did comp breakfast, but really? Is this the way to run a hotel?

So sorry Sheraton, you blew it big time! You used to be our go-to hotel, I love your rooms and beds, but this is unforgivable.

So beware everyone – you mean nothing to them!

1 Thank RobS56
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We strive to meet the standards that our guest have come to expect from us, but clearly we did not meet our goals during your last stay.
We apologize for the experience you had with not having your room available, and we sympathize for the frustration you must have felt over this confusion.
We appreciate our loyalty to the SPG program, and to the Sheraton in particular and I would like to assure you this is clearly not the standards we strive for.
If there is anything we can do to make your time with us more comfortable please do not hesitate to connect with me personally. I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can redeem your expereince with us.
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We are never disappointed when we stay at Sheraton! The best service in all areas of the hotel. We find the most comfortable beds and high class linens. The hotel is always high end and decorated with elegance and beautiful decorations. LOVE the Sheraton!!
Five + stars!

• Stayed April 2014
Devon S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to you visiting out hotel again in the future.
Alberta
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had another great stay at the Sheraton Red Deer. The staff is very efficient and friendly, the rooms are really comfortable, clean, up to date and decorated very nice. We stayed in the Club Rooms, and really enjoyed the 5 o'clock appetizers and drinks with friends, as well as breakfast one morning. The food at the convention as well as the restaurant was very good! Overall another fantastic stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback of the Sheraton Red Deer Hotel. We always appreciate hearing when our guests enjoyed their stay and take advantage of the various outlets within the hotel. We are very proud of what our Sheraton Club Lounge has to offer our guests such as complimentary breakfasts and social hour cocktails and snacks, and our fantastic Barbero's restaurant.
We look forward to your next stay with us!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Best shower experience I have ever had in a hotel! Very nice, comfy bed. TV took some studying to operate. My biggest and only complaint was the view from room 146. Can I upload a picture here? It looked like I was looking at a dog run that was filled with garbage. My best advice: close the drapes!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an odd number overlooking the pool rather than the dump.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for providing your comments regarding the view. I have made note of this so that we can make the necessary changes to improve this situation for the future.
We strive to continuously improve our hotel, and the experiences of our guests during their stay with us.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Booked a room for our anniversary, as this was the hotel we stayed at after our wedding. I was underwhelmed; aesthetically pleasing, but our room was directly below the Club lounge on the 9th floor, which proved to be loud. In addition, I showered in the evening and it took a solid 10 minutes for the water to get hot. In the morning, I assumed the same would be true, but the shower never got hot, rather oscillated between lukewarm and rather chilly. We informed the young man at the front desk, and were told that it's to be expected when they have a conference on site. For the price you pay, I won't be back, nor will I refer friends or family, as I have stayed in far superior hotels well below the $200 a night price tag.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed by your stay here due to issues with your room, and that we did not reach the level of satisfaction you remember from your wedding.
We apologize for the noise levels you experienced, and for the lack of hot water. We will be sure to address this issue with our maintenance staff, as well as how our front end staff handles situations like these.
We hope you consider our hotel again in the future and your next stay meets the standards you have come to expect from us.