“Friendly and helpful staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Red Deer Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sheraton Red Deer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Victoria, Canada
“Friendly and helpful staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel met all my needs. Friendly and quick check-in, room with a view and amenities on-site.

Joe's Deli was fantastic as well.

There was a lounge on-site but I couldn't resist the Boston Pizza across the street!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us. We are glad
that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and made good use of our amenities and convenient location downtown.
We look forward to having you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Before I start this review, I have NEVER given a hotel this low of a rating or been this upset with a hotel stay. I travel mostly for work, so I'm in a hotel about 2/3 of the year. I usually stay at Hiltons or Sheratons, but after this visit, I will think 10 times before ever staying at a Sheraton again. I had booked this one through Hotwire, and because of my stay here, i will not be using them again either, with the fear that i will end up with a Sheraton again. Hotwire as you know is a website where you get a good deal, but you can only pay for the star rating and don't find out the hotel name until you pay in full. Regrettably paying for a 4 star, got me a 0 Star hotel. Because that is exactly what this hotel should be. I am going to list the Pros and Cons about my 4 day, 3 night stay at this dreadful hotel.

Pros
The Bed is Sheraton quality - Very Comfortable.
Adriancan ( I think that is her name) Is very pleasant upon check in and upon check out because of some issues i had with Room Service she did offer to waive my bill, i refused, because i wasn't looking for a free meal, i was looking for good food, which i did not get!
Ample parking. There is more than enough parking and it's free.

Cons
Ok so the Hotel is obviously under construction which you can read from previous comments, but they say that they always have one elevator working (11 some floors in this building) and that is not true! I left my room at about 11pm to go get something to eat and returned at 1130pm, there were 3 other people waiting for the elevator which is easily about 10 feet away from the front desk, the thing that annoyed me is that she was watching us stand there and did not have the decency to tell us that neither elevator was working, so after waiting a good 5 mins and realizing that it's not working, we went to the stairs. Let me tell you about the stairs, they are all the way across the lobby (It's a big lobby) you have to go down about 12 stairs to get to the staircase that goes back up to the rooms. Thank god I was only on the 2nd floor, but i can't imagine for those that were higher floors. Another time during the day, i came into the hotel and saw about 5 people including a waitress for room service waiting for the elevator, I stood in line and when the elevator opened, this little older staff member who was wearing all black, told all the guests to wait because "the room service lady needed to go first because that was room service!" then she started directing who could enter the elevator by pushing us on our back into the elevator, she will remember me, because i looked at her and told her "Don't to touch me" I am not an angry person, but the elevator thing was the tip of the iceberg. And why the hell does such a big hotel not have a service elevator for room service??

Upon check in, i asked for a room with a Bathtub, since their pool was not working and it was like 33 degrees, i figured i could at least soak in a cool bath. Well that was completely ignored, because my room had a stand up shower, I didn't bother to even say anything. Their showers are ridiculous, the water sprays directly above your head to the wall and that was aiming it at the lowest possible setting, And the worst part is there is only glass on half of the shower, so my bathroom floor was completely soaked all the time.

As soon as i arrived at the room, i noticed no Microwave. I called immediately and asked for one, because all the food i had bought with me needed to be microwaved. The front desk girl said they were short on microwaves and they would check for me. and she would call me back in about 5mins. One hour later, i called her again, she said because of a conference they had none, but i would get one the next day when they checked out and that i was first on the list for it. I also told her that my desk chair was broken because when i walked by it, the metal leg of the chair had scratched my let as the wheel was broken and missing??? In their defence a gentlemen from maintenance came within 15mins to replace the chair. However, i called every single morning for a microwave and when i checked out 4 days later, i still had not gotten a microwave.

The second floor has this sort of balcony outside that you can't go on, but it's there and there are easily 100 pigeons that hang out there. They constantly bang into the window and sit there and purr the whole time. I just turned up my TV.

Speaking of TV, there is a 5 second delay between channels and no TV Guide. So if you are trying to find something to watch, you will give up and go to sleep to the "Sweet" sound of the pigeons outside….trust me.

I work when i'm on the road and a part of my work is contacting my clients to let them know that i am in town. In a 4 day road trip for me, I make anywhere from 200-300 calls a day. THANK GOD! I saw their little phone price list, because local calls are $0.50 Each…you do the math! I can't believe for the first time in this decade i would have gotten a $600+ Bill for making LOCAL calls! They don't pay for the calls, why the hell should we have to??? Another way that Sheraton is trying to milk every penny out of their guests! And I'm including a pic of that! Because i still can't believe that there is ANY hotel in canada that does that.

Lastly and this was the "HIGHLIGHT" of my stay….Since there was no microwave, i called down to the room service and asked for a room service menu as there was not one in my room. They transferred me to guest services to get the menu. Guest services said "Oh I'm sorry about that, i will transfer you to our lounge and they can get you one." I get transferred back to the room service lady. "Ok, i am not sure why they transferred you back here, but i will get them to bring one up right away." 20mins later, I call room service and tell her i am still waiting for a menu, "Oh i am so sorry, i will get one brought up right away." 30 mins later, I call room service, "Hi they never brought up a menu, but i have to go to work in an hour, can i just order? Do you have Ribeye? and creme brûlée ?" "Yes we do, how do you want the steak cooked?" "Medium please and can you please send a menu?" "Yes we will"

30 mins later, got my steak and desert. The Bill??? $59.04 with 18% gratuity which i understand, but they have the audacity to have a tip line for you to add tip!?!? and the steak was charred like charcoal and? you guessed it, no menu. I did not order from them again, which makes sense since the entire 4 days i was there, i never got a menu anyways.

Like i said….the worst stay of my life. I can NEVER return to a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank sexy1979
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I appreciate your feedback on your stay with us and bringing these matters to our attention. I will be folling up with the appropriate departments to ensure these issues are dealt with accordingly. I sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory experience with us and I would like to assure you that this is not the level of professionalism or customer service we strive for.
If you would like to connect with me at any time and allow us to resolve these issues I would be more than happy to show you the level of customer satisfaction that we strive for here at the Sheraton.
Thank you.
London, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel itself was clean, rooms well appointed, and the restaurants were good. The facility itself was a very nice hotel. However, a HUGE negative was the fact that of the two elevators, one was completely out of service, and the other broke down several times each day we were there. The pool and steam room were also out of commission, but They were being improved, so that is being taken care of. We had to walk the stairwells several times during our stay. One guest had to take her luggage and 2 dogs up to the 11th floor-with no offer of help from the staff!

There was a large convention on when we were there, and numerous attendees had to walk the stairs when the elevator failed. Upon doing some research, we discovered the elevators had been in poor repair for over 2 years.

It seems to me that something this important cannot be neglected for such a long time. If staying in Red Deer again, we would check to see if the elevators have been repaired before staying at the Sheraton again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron M
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello Ron M,
We deeply regret the inconvenience of our renovations and completely understand your frustrations. We are working persistently to complete our elevator upgrades as quickly as possible for this very reason. As per your research, I would like to clarify that until our improvements began this June both our elevators have been fully operational, and we have shut down only one elevator in attempts to alleviate the effect on our guests. I assure you that our motivation lies in improving our hotel and making sure our guests have an enjoyable stay with us. I sincerely apologize if this was not your experience, and you’re welcome to connect with me if there is ever anything I can do to make your time with us more comfortable.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nice place to stay and good place for a conference. The room was clean, free bottled water was a great touch. Facilities for the conference were great and food service email was good. Gym was mall but still enough for quick workout.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and make full use of the amenities we have to offer!
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is such a mix! The redone rooms are nice, the beds are very comfortable and the towels are plush. We had requested connecting rooms but were told that they were not available when we checked-in. When we spoke to a manager in the club level room later that evening she remarked how empty the hotel was. I said that I was surprised that the connecting rooms were sold out given that info and she informed us that they were no way sold out of connecting rooms. Couldn't change us because we had been in the rooms and used the amenities... Very strange and disappointing. The pool was out of order as they redid the area but that was made very clear to us when we booked. I found the hotel was good and comfortable but the staff seem to not have the typical Sheraton attitude.

Room Tip: Ask for a manager at check-in to satisfy your requests.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hello Aldanger,
Thank you for your feedback and bringing this issue to our attention. My apologies for any confusing or misleading information you may have received. We do in fact have limited connecting rooms and they are often sold out due to demand. I can completely understand how strange and disappointing you would have found this and I will be sure to be in touch with our front end staff to clarify this matter and make sure that our staff is not providing conflicting information to our guests.
We appreciate your business and are glad to hear that you found our hotel so comfortable. We look forward to having you back in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upon check in we found the pool to be down, the steam room didn't work and the floor we were booked still smelled heavy of smoke. We ended up changing floors but only to have to negotiate another obstacle of getting down from the 13th floor with only one working elevator. None of this was disclosed on the website or even while we checked in.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hello globetrotterlogic,
We appreciate your feedback on our hotel and we apologize for any inconveniences our renovations may cause our guests during their stay. However, these renovations are crutial to the upkeep of our hotel to improve our standards for our guests stay. We have posted our renovations on our websites, phone line, and in-house for public knowledge. Our front end staff should have also informed you of these upgrades, but if they did not I do apologize for this.
Our entire hotel is smoke-free, but some guests still try to smoke in their room. This is forbidden, however unless someone reports the person in the act, we often do not know until room clean-up upon check out. We take extensive measure to clean the room at that stage so I am sorry if you were still able to detect a smoke smell in your room.
We strive exceed our guests expecations during their stay, but clearlythis was not your experience and we apologize for this.
If there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable please do not hesitate to connect with me personally.
Comox, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here in end June 2014, our second visit in a year. Once again the room was upgraded and the lodging we received was clean, comfortable and spacious. Everything in the room worked fine and we found the staff were courteous and as anxious to please as one expects from a Sheraton. That said, the hotel was down to one elevator from two and the pool was unavailable, due to renovations. The remaining elevator was overworked by staff and the many guests (two weddings) were forced to wait for an elevator that was crowded and worn. While we did not avail ourselves of room service, we found breakfast at the restaurant to be entirely satisfactory. We will be returning on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Devon S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Hello Jon N,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on your stay here with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and we apologize for any inconvenience our renovations may have caused you. We are working diligently to improve the standards of our hotel to make our guests stay more enjoyable such as building a new indoor, year-round pool, as well as upgrading our elevators to be faster and more efficient.
We look forward to having you back again and I hope you will enjoy the new features of our hotel when they are complete!