“Extremely dated, watch out for $200 deposit and rude front desk”

Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Alberta
“Extremely dated, watch out for $200 deposit and rude front desk”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel one night for a stay-cation, and was really looking forward to it. However, upon arriving, the parking lots was full of potholes, and the exterior of the hotel looked very tired. We nevertheless optimistically checked in, only to be told a $200 deposit would be taken. Absolutely ridiculous given that we were staying one night at a rate of $103.00. Furthermore the front desk clerk had the audacity to offer us that we could leave (yet they would still charge us for the room as it's after the cancellation period). So we agreed to the deposit and she handed us the keys, I asked what room and she didnt respond to me, and neither did she thank us, simply handed over the keys and promptly ignored us. The hotel main areas are fine but the carpet on the guest floors is absolutely atrocious. I think if a hotel is so concerned with guests ruining the property that they feel the need to charge $200 deposit, they should have a property worth protecting. The room was large but old, dated, and carpets disgusting. The only positive was the white bedding and towels... At least you could tell they were clean.

• Stayed July 2014
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Chartravel,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I must apologize for the poor welcoming you received at check in. I have shared this information with the Director of Rooms to conduct follow up with her team. We appreciate our guests sharing their experiences with us to ensure our expectations and processes are being maintained. We realize you have choices when travelling in the area and thank you for choosing the Red Deer Lodge Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed in a "suite" for few days for business - overall happy and would stay again.

The Lodge is older, but the room I stayed in was in good shape and clean. My only complaint is that the room was a bit dark.

For the price, it will be hard to beat the Red Deer Lodge, as it comes in quite a bit less then the standard chains. for equal (relatively) quality.

Pro's:
1) Breakfast is better then the standard fare being offered these days at all the chains, as they do have a kitchen and are not just heating foods shipped in.
2) Restaurant food is good - ordered steak twice, and both times was good, not overcooked.
3) air conditioning is quiet enough that it won't keep you up.
4) bed was comfortable, pillows good enough (not too hard, like most hotels)
5) Staff are friendly and generally helpful.
6) $$$$ one of the better priced hotels, cheaper (but nicer) then the "8"
7) easy to get to, right between the south and north ends of town, Tim Horton's right around the corner
8) room has modern flat screen TV (notice some reviewers mentioned old style tv's - mine was new style)

Con's
room service ads an automatic 16% tip AND a $2.50 delivery charge for room service
room was a tad dark

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jeff S.,

Thank you for you overall experience of the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. The style of room you occupied does have an updated flat screen TV and we are working on getting the rest of the rooms updated as well. I am glad you had a great time while staying with us. We appreciate you selecting the Hotel while travelling in the area and look forward to serving you again soon.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were given the wrong room: booked a suite and got a regular room .
service in diner non exhistent:
Waited 1/2 hr to even get greated by server, ended up walking out without ordering a thing . (Late for a wedding despite having more than enough time)
Carpets in room need to be replaced or at least cleaned .

Gross and not impressed

• Stayed July 2014
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Squashuaposhua,

Thank you for comments regarding your visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I must apologize your dining experience was far from acceptable. I will be sharing your feedback with our Outlet Manager as she has expectations of service times with her team and will be using this as a coaching moment for her team. The comment about the carpet is not clear if it refers to the Restaurant or the guest room. We look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again when travelling in the central AB area.

Travellers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here because I was speaking at a function.

Rooms are on a courtyard. The exterior is VERY dated and the parking lot was broken up. I had a one bedroom suite which was clean and well appointed, however I like a TV in the bedroom and there was none.

Breakfast was included but I did not want to risk it.

Staff at front desk were friendly and efficient. Catering staff in the meeting room were excellent and the banquet/catering food was great. Location is fine, but on a one way street, so it's awkward.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
vancouvergirl,

Thank you for your feedback from your first visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. We enjoy hearing from all of our guests and appreciate the information shared in the reviews. We do have a great team here at the Hotel who do care about the guests and providing great service. I trust you were comfortable and well rested before your presentation. If you are travelling in the Red Deer area again, please consider staying with us again.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for a an event and would stay again. Breakfast was buffet style and had great selection. The staff were professional and friendly. Our first night, sleep was good and comfortable. The rooms do need some upgrading and some fixing up (for example our shower handle on the cold side had to be turned in a certain way to get it working--I didn't complain since I thought we got a discounted deal staying here). Our second night, we had some rude/noisy people out in the hallways at 3-4am banging at their friends door but was not the hotels fault.

Overall, our stay was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dee_Lovely88,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I do apologize there was an issue with the shower. Our Front Desk Associates are extremely good at notifying the Maintenance team once they are made aware of concerns to correct or repair items for our guests. I am sorry to read other guests interrupted your evening rest. We do have security walk the halls in the evening to be aware of those guests that require a reminder of our quiet time expectations. We would love to serve you again when travelling to our City.
Calgary
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Came across the spot in a pinch and have to say I am pleasantly surpriesd. Reception couteous, bed incredibly comfortable, breakfast buffet staff warm and friendly. Love real oatmeal for breakfast. Plan to be back when sent to the area.

grassislander,

Thank you for your comments regarding your first visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. We love to hear from our guests and appreciate the feedback. We look forward to serving you again very soon.
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

First off I want to say the staff of Red Deer Lodge were fantastic! That is the only thing that even kept me there. Other then that the rooms were some of the worst I've ever stayed in. Dirty, dated, dark, and small! I stayed there for an event but will never do that again. The conveniences and the staff are the only things positive about this place. Put some money into renovations! You charge more then enough for the rooms to do so!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rkoots
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
rkoots,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I appreciate hearing from our guests and we use the information shared to review our process and procedure. I agree with you, our team here in the Hotel is fantastic and provide outstanding service. I apologize the condition of the guest room you stayed in was not acceptable to you. I know the furniture is not brand new in some of our rooms, but I do expect it to be in good working order and clean for our guests. We realize you have choices when travelling in the Red Deer area and would love the opportunity to serve you again.