“Garbage”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed a whole month and the cleaning staff sucked room was only cleaned every third day the facilities sucked air conditioners don't work had to change rooms twice the front desk people are stupid and don't know what they are doing and they over charged me $700 and the place stinks and they have bed bugs and the pool is gross and the hot tub does not work

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Caperkyle
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than ideal. As discussed during the 30 plus day stay, there never was a $700 overcharge, only a preauthorization on a credit card which is standard practice in the industry. In regards to the issue with the air conditioners, it has been checked and it appears that it was indeed replaced during the stay. As for most appliances, we are not able to foretell when one might go. I am pleased to show we were able to replace this the same day as it was reported. As for the housekeeping concerns, we follow very high standards, indicative of winning the Alberta Hotel Associations Annual Housekeeping award for 5 years. As you were booked on a reduced extended stay rate, you did receive daily towel exchange and full service every 3 days, per our extended stay agreement. It is noted that you question the cleanliness of the hot tub facilities, but be assured that we follow all of Alberta Health Services regulations and submit weekly water samples to make sure that we are meeting all of the requirements.

Bed bugs are an item that we take extremely seriously. We show no report of any concern from you or any other guest and have respectfully requested Trip Advisor to remove such unfounded reference – again, the $700 was not an overcharge.

On a more positive note, I am glad to see that we did get you moved from the standard size room to a much larger smoking suite as you requested. If you feel that there has been any kind of miscommunication or that I am incorrect in any of these details please feel free to contact the hotel direct. I see that your reservation remains checked-in as a guest of the Sandman, Red Deer and I appreciate your continued patronage.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here one night as we were traveling through to Alaska. Nice room and had a nice restaurant as well. Would stay here again if we pass through.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shawn M
Reviewed 24 May 2012

our room was clean (vacuumed) but had stains on the wall paper in the bathroom, a window without a screen that didn't close all the way, the pool area is small and noisy. Front end staff are nice. Attached to a Moxie's which is nice. Just down the street from the mall

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Sandman hotel had it's highs and its lows. My room was clean, comfortable and relaxing. However my coffee maker didn't work which is always sad :( Did have a chance to use the pool/hottub but sadly 2 maintenance men found this a great time to bleach the floors and etc. I'm sure at some time they must disturb guests when doing this, however I'm sure 10 in the morning is not ideal. Also the hot tub was lukewarm and the pool was freezing! However, front desk staff was fantastic and the Moxies room service was welcome. Would definately stay again if I was able to secure the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for Lora at front desk, she was fantastic!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel about three years ago when in town on business; either my tastes have changed or my memory fails me as I recalled it being a fairly nice property. Checking in and out, the front desk was having some type of computer/credit processing issues - really? How about getting out the clunky, old school credit machine (the one that you swipe the handle back and forth and make an honest to goodness improint of my card with?) and get things moving. Don't have one? Get one! Modern techology fails, and quite honestly, I'm tired of businesses being unable to problem-solve when that occurs.

The corridors are nice but the rooms are just plain tired. The sound on the TV in my room was ridiculous - all scratchy static, nothing really audible, which was disappointing as it was a nice TV and I wanted to use my rare night "off" to just kick back and mindlessly channel surf. The remote for the heating/cooling system was disgusting - filthy and even moldy in the crevices around the buttons - gross. I do appreciate, however, that the bathroom was very clean. The pillows stink; they feel like the ones filled with that garbage chip foam. Bring your own.

I called the reservation line for this hotel and was appalled; I was told I would have to pay up front (several weeks in advance) for the hotel room to get the same rate being shown on Expeida (NOT a better, pay in advance type of rate!). I questioned the reservation agent three times before saying that is ridiculous and I'm not paying. I do not pay up front for business travel, especially when making multiple room bookings for several people. I called the hotel direct and got a rate which was $30 less and for which I did not have to pay on the spot.

I'm batting 0 for 3 at hotels in Red Deer this year. Other members attending the same meeting stayed at the Hampton out on Gasoline Alley; while the location isn't as convenient, they said the rooms were fantastic and a full $25 less than I paid at the Sandman. If you have a vehicle, it might be worthy checking out. I know I will be when I go back next month.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is a clean, quiet, reasonably priced small hotel that is connected to a Moxie's restaurant and in the centre of lots of reastaurants and shopping. Very good for families or business. We were there for a romantic get-away, and it was awesome for that too. The pool is small and cold, but the hot tub is large, deep and hot. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Nothing bad to say-but of course it wasn't the Banff Springs.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The only nice thing I can say about this property is it has a Moxie's in it. The hotel is a tired dump. I felt unclean when I stayed there, which was (thankfully) just one night. The rooms are glum, the staff is slow (perhaps understaffed, but that's not my concern). I sense no pride in property or customer service. Their only advantage is that Red Deer is not a bustling metropolis; hence, not a ton of competition.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business