“Sleepy”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed on the corporate floor of this hotel and it was okay. The room had a small living room (couch and chair) and a flat screen TV in the middle it had a sink, microwave and coffee maker and in the bedroom it also had a TV but not a flat screen which seemed odd. Most people like to watch TV in bed so maybe they should switch them around. I found the room very hot and hard to cool down. The evening check-in clerk was nice but the morning check-out girl not very friendly. The price was okay but I think they need to do some renovations - if they call it a corporate floor - the rooms should reflect a corporate travelers surroundings. I must say the room was very quite.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corporate floor very quite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Sandman Hotel Red Deer

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I rented the hot tub suite on the corporate floor of this hotel and I must say it was absolutely georgeous. We were on the 4th floor. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The room was very clean and very comfortable. Also very quiet. Has a small kitchenette. Gold plated faucets and duel shower made it look very rich. The king size bed was super comfortable. The service is also very good. We were well taken care of. . I will be returning for another relaxing night in the near future. Moxies restaurant is downstairs which has really good food.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Good location
A little pit old furniture, but for the price I have no complains. Very good service and friendly staff. Including Moxie Restaurant. Small skimpy towels.. That’s why I always bring my own personnel towel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This used to be one of our favorite places to stay in Red Deer, but the hotel is now dated and in need of updating as its getting to be grimy. It feels cheap now in the details. Small skimpy towels, horrible lighting, thin toilet paper.... The walls are stained as was our bathtub which made me feel cleaner without stepping in it. It is hard to tell the difference between stained and dirty. Ick! On the plus side, the bed was comfortable.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We used the Sandman Red Deer as a base whilst we were in the area for the Ponoka Stampede. We found it ok; it suited our needs. We had a decent sized, clean room on the ground floor which I thought might be noisy but it was ok, I used the pool twice, on the second occasion the front desk opened it early for me which I appreciated, we also used Moxie's next door for an evening meal which was pleasant.

The front desk staff were fine, very helpful when we needed it.

I wouldn't rush back to stay here, it didn't bowl me over but then again I wouldn't avoid it. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, though it suited us and provided what we needed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed a whole month and the cleaning staff sucked room was only cleaned every third day the facilities sucked air conditioners don't work had to change rooms twice the front desk people are stupid and don't know what they are doing and they over charged me $700 and the place stinks and they have bed bugs and the pool is gross and the hot tub does not work

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Caperkyle
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than ideal. As discussed during the 30 plus day stay, there never was a $700 overcharge, only a preauthorization on a credit card which is standard practice in the industry. In regards to the issue with the air conditioners, it has been checked and it appears that it was indeed replaced during the stay. As for most appliances, we are not able to foretell when one might go. I am pleased to show we were able to replace this the same day as it was reported. As for the housekeeping concerns, we follow very high standards, indicative of winning the Alberta Hotel Associations Annual Housekeeping award for 5 years. As you were booked on a reduced extended stay rate, you did receive daily towel exchange and full service every 3 days, per our extended stay agreement. It is noted that you question the cleanliness of the hot tub facilities, but be assured that we follow all of Alberta Health Services regulations and submit weekly water samples to make sure that we are meeting all of the requirements.

Bed bugs are an item that we take extremely seriously. We show no report of any concern from you or any other guest and have respectfully requested Trip Advisor to remove such unfounded reference – again, the $700 was not an overcharge.

On a more positive note, I am glad to see that we did get you moved from the standard size room to a much larger smoking suite as you requested. If you feel that there has been any kind of miscommunication or that I am incorrect in any of these details please feel free to contact the hotel direct. I see that your reservation remains checked-in as a guest of the Sandman, Red Deer and I appreciate your continued patronage.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here one night as we were traveling through to Alaska. Nice room and had a nice restaurant as well. Would stay here again if we pass through.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family