“Pretty disappointing”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here for a soccer tournament - expensive room @ $149/night ("junior corporate suite", which basically meant a regular sized hotel room with a double bed, a pull-out couch and a microwave on top of a fridge...I guess it was the microwave on top of the fridge that suddenly made it a "suite"....I guess). Not particularly clean, very noisy, and when (after a couple of polite requests to the people in the hall to please quiet down) at 10:30 pm I called to see if the staff could do something about all the noise in the hall, was told "there wasn't anyone here to deal with that right now". The pool is very small, so not particularly useful for swimming if there are more than two families using it at a time.
The Moxie's was good...but you don't need to stay here for that. We won't repeat the experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stopped of late. Good price. Moxies attached. Which was great . Rooms are clean and tidy if basic but for money being asked what can you expect. Ideal stop off.......................................................

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed on the corporate floor of this hotel and it was okay. The room had a small living room (couch and chair) and a flat screen TV in the middle it had a sink, microwave and coffee maker and in the bedroom it also had a TV but not a flat screen which seemed odd. Most people like to watch TV in bed so maybe they should switch them around. I found the room very hot and hard to cool down. The evening check-in clerk was nice but the morning check-out girl not very friendly. The price was okay but I think they need to do some renovations - if they call it a corporate floor - the rooms should reflect a corporate travelers surroundings. I must say the room was very quite.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corporate floor very quite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I rented the hot tub suite on the corporate floor of this hotel and I must say it was absolutely georgeous. We were on the 4th floor. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The room was very clean and very comfortable. Also very quiet. Has a small kitchenette. Gold plated faucets and duel shower made it look very rich. The king size bed was super comfortable. The service is also very good. We were well taken care of. . I will be returning for another relaxing night in the near future. Moxies restaurant is downstairs which has really good food.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Good location
A little pit old furniture, but for the price I have no complains. Very good service and friendly staff. Including Moxie Restaurant. Small skimpy towels.. That’s why I always bring my own personnel towel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This used to be one of our favorite places to stay in Red Deer, but the hotel is now dated and in need of updating as its getting to be grimy. It feels cheap now in the details. Small skimpy towels, horrible lighting, thin toilet paper.... The walls are stained as was our bathtub which made me feel cleaner without stepping in it. It is hard to tell the difference between stained and dirty. Ick! On the plus side, the bed was comfortable.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We used the Sandman Red Deer as a base whilst we were in the area for the Ponoka Stampede. We found it ok; it suited our needs. We had a decent sized, clean room on the ground floor which I thought might be noisy but it was ok, I used the pool twice, on the second occasion the front desk opened it early for me which I appreciated, we also used Moxie's next door for an evening meal which was pleasant.

The front desk staff were fine, very helpful when we needed it.

I wouldn't rush back to stay here, it didn't bowl me over but then again I wouldn't avoid it. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, though it suited us and provided what we needed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple