“You have to make it to the front door first...”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed one night & enjoyed a King suite courtesy of a 3rd party discount offer. Suite was very nice, clean & well equipped. This facility has an attached restaurant eliminating the need to go outside on cold nights. But...you've got to get to the front door first. I was rather dismayed at the condition of the parking lot - snow had not been very well removed which lead to serious ice build up. (The downside of our lovely Alberta chinooks (warm winds) - melting during the day, freezing at night.) It was a little bit of a dance to get to the front door & my weak ankle complained all the way. Aside from that though, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed there last Friday nite for a conference. They did give me the conference rate, although the advance registration was over. However the room was right outside the ice machine, it bumped and made noise all night. The chairs were so dirty I was afraid to sit in them. Lots of plugs, but could use more where I wanted to plug in the computer. NO FREE BREAKFAST! What is up with that. When I went to Moxies next door they said "we don't do that"! Even at the reduced rate one room was $ 125.00. I hate paying for sleeping anyway...but next time I go across the street to Travelodge! Oh and the bathtub is so small I thought it was meant for midgets!

Room Tip: Don't get the one near the ice machine.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stay-over for 1 night only. Got assigned main floor suite which is convenience. Room is alright, clean and neat but can't believe there are hotel still using blanket with bedspread!!
Overall, it's a good short stay-over hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Recently stayed at the Sandman hotel with my family. There were a few of us staying there with the same last name. Everytime I called I was greeted very nicely and their central reservation agents were very nice. When I checked in around 9:00pm I was informed I had already check in (which is hard as I had just arrived). The hotel had given my room to a family member, however the room I booked had 2 beds and they had none left as the last one they gave away was to my family (who only booked a room with 1 bed). I was not impressed when they insinuated that my sister looked like a smoker. Im sorry, but I don't think that was appropriate (she was offended). The room we were given however was one hat had been updated (they are in the middle of renos).

The next morning after speaking with my family, I was informed that their room (they stayed for 5 nights) had not been properly cleaned. The garbage was never taken out and no amenities were replaced.

That night the fire bell went off at 1:30am! It is NOT the properties fault this happened HOWEVER the way that it was handled was less then appropriate. I would STRONGLY suggest that staff are trained on what to do if this happens. Had there actually been a fire (instead of a pipe bursting and flooding the first floor) I strongly believe that you would have had some casualties. Elevators SHOULD NOT WORK in the case of an emergency. I could go on, but I think I will write the manager separately.

Finally, at check out (for a family member) they had requested that they have a late check out or if the hotel could hold their luggage as their car was in the shop being fixed and we were in town for a funeral, however the MANAGER told them he would "think" about it and needed to go for a smoke first and then invited my DAD to go and join him. Im sorry but that is just terrible!

Despite some things, I have to say that overall David (front Desk) was very nice. We were able to chat about a few things....BUT a note to the manager. Please get your doors fixed as the staff were very cold (with the weather being -40!).

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated area!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time necessary to provide us with feedback relating to your, and your family members’, stay. On behalf of the Sandman Hotel Red Deer I would like to apologize that your stay was anything less than ideal. We do confirm all reservation details with our guests at check-in, at which time your family member accepted the room with two beds. I can assure you the front desk was not trying to insinuate anything when offering your sister a smoking room with the two beds you needed, they were simply trying to find a resolution. I am pleased to see that we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our newly renovated suites.

As for the alarm sounding at 1:30am, I must apologize as I understand what an inconvenience this caused all of our in-house guests at the time. Our guest’s safety is of the upmost importance to us, which is why we comply with all fire safety regulations. Our fire panel allows us to immediately identify the cause and location of the alarm so within seconds it was identified as a pipe burst, not a fire. We were able to silence the alarm and turn the elevators back on, minimizing the disturbance to our guests. Insinuating there would be casualties in case of fire has no grounds, there was not a fire nor was it treated as a fire, if there had been we have polices and procedures in place ensuring our guests safety.

Regarding your family members, I have no records of any complaints from any of them. Our system show that we provided a complimentary late check-out time of 3pm to your father. If any of your family members have concerns I would be happy to address them directly.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your encounters with our reservation team and David. I will be sure to pass on the compliment.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My co-workers and I went up to Red Deer for a conference and stayed at the Sandman. We were very excited to spend time in the hot tub and relax, but when we got to the hot tub it was not very hot and the jets were not working. We talked to the front desk and told them that the jets were not working and they said they already knew, but it appeared that it was not a priority to them, nor were they letting guests know about it.

There was also miscommunication on the payment of the hotel and we got changed twice. They did take care of it and my credit card got reimbursed, but it was very inconvenient.

The hotel was also under construction and smelled terrible. When we walked into our room there was garbage on the dresser and the used soap from the last people was still in the shower. I now wonder if we even had clean sheets.

Needless to say I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lomast17
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time necessary to provide us with comments regarding your most recent stay. Although negative, your review is appreciated; it allows us to identify our short comings and gives us an opportunity to work towards the perfect guest experience. I am pleased to tell you, since your last stay we have ordered signage explaining how the hot tub jets control works and reviewed with our Guest Services Team. As for the cleanliness of your room, I have shared this review with our Executive Housekeeper and she will be addressing with her staff. We are proud winners of the AHLA Housekeeping Award 9 of the last 11 years, including 2012 and 2013, so we find it extremely disappointing and must apologize that your room did not meet our standards. I am glad to see that our Guest services Team was able to straighten out the mishap with your bill and sorry again for the inconvenience.
I am hopeful that you decide to give our hotel another chance so that you may share in our typical guest experience. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent 2 nights there. When we checked in, there were buckets and towels on the floor in the lobby. Obviously there was some kind of leak. Renovations were being done in several rooms. The hallway on the first floor had an unpleasant smell. The AC/Heat in the room has to be switched on by a switch on the wall. Flat screen TV. Bathroom is miniscule. Clean but cramped room. Two enormous easy chairs plus table and desk and chair. Confortable bed but yucky spongy blanket and horrible bedspread. Get with it Sandman. That is so 70s. Front desk helpful but you have to go to 3rd floor to get water out of vending machine and you need a key card to get there. Found out on my way to Moxies next door that machine by pool has water. Overall, it serves a purpose to clientele coming from out yonder.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were in town visiting family and had brought our 5 1/2 month old puppy with us. We stayed for two nights and we were pleased with the staff and our room. Nice kitchenette and sitting area and the king sized bed was very comfortable. There is a small green space near the hotel perfect for taking the dog out to play and potty. Too bad other pet owners before us didn't see the value in cleaning up after their pets. Hate it when good pets have bad owners! We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor facing the parking lot. We were worried it would be loud but it seems to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family