“Owners are scam artists, in my opinion...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites City Centre

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites City Centre
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Winnipeg, Canada
“Owners are scam artists, in my opinion...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

The owners are pretty sketchy, and in my opinion, borderline criminals. I checked in for a stay at approx. 3:30 AM. I was told checkout time was the next day at 11:00AM (common practice). The night clerk gives me a receipt, and writes the wrong date on the hotel receipt.

This does not match the electronic receipt, as he got the dates mixed up (honest mistake I guess). 6 hours later, I am told I have to leave or pay for another date. I show the clerk my receipt, and he apologizes, and says I can stay until the time agreed upon.

An hour later, I get a call from the manager, saying his clerks "don't make mistakes" and I had to pay for another night if I wanted to stay. This time I told them I phoned for legal advice, and I was entitled to stay, whether they liked it or not.

Upon hearing this, the owner says "ok I'll make you a deal. You can stay an extra day for only $30.00 more. I told him hell no, and if they charge me an extra penny, I will take them to small claims court.

I haven't heard back from them, so it sounds like they were trying to scam extra money off me. Don't be cheap, and decide to rent here. Spend the extra $25 at the Super 8 Motel across the street, or else you will regret it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank ExPegger
S M, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites City Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2015
Dear Guest,

After reading your review, we felt that something like this should not happen to any guest no matter where they stay.

I am not writing this message to you from the management of Traveller's Inn. That property is taken over by new management and now operates under Econo Lodge Inn & Suites City Centre.

We have taken all the major steps to introduce the property as a new brand, which involves major renovations that we introduced to our new property. We can't justify your previous stay as our management wasn't in charge at the time of your stay.

However, we would greatly appreciate to acknowledge the fact that our property has successfully converted to different franchise and the outlook of the property indoor as well outdoors is completely different.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

The service initially is good. I should have inspected my room before accepting it, something never before required. The rooms are filthy, the staff un-co-operative to the extreme.
The carpets stink and I shudder to think at the deposits on the unwashed bedspread!!!!
I could not get a refund after paying for the room.
The night was filled with the sounds of partier and drug dealings in the parking lot and the rooms. Security was a huge concern.
Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are filthy. The staff unhelpful, at best. Actually, after check in, everything goes pear s...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Barbara P

Travellers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

Hamilton, ON, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Friendly staff, reasonable price, and very good room. Liked the light and continental breakfast provided in the morning. Although there had been some problems at the beginning of my stay, after informing the front desk about the matter they really helped us out by dealing with the problem and was not bothered during my entire stay later on.

Truly worth giving a shot if you are looking for something inexpensive and in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: Go for the upgraded rooms if you are with your family.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

I am student and was doing my placement in Red Deer. I expected to stay here for 6 weeks but had to leave one week in. I stayed in a newly renovated room however, the tiles were cracked and there were holes in the walls. The floors were covered with ants and beetles. When I went to complain the managers were terribly disrespectful. I asked for my money back and they still ripped me off...I will dispute these charges as well. For anyone planning on staying here...DON'T! Also, the mattresses had spiders in them when I lifted them up.

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank AMDK

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Raunchy hotel downtown. Nasty clientele. Was planning a month long stay but had to bail. OMG. Let me out of here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Mike F

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Disgusting. Smells like enough detol has been used to cover up the stench of spilled alcohol though.

• Stayed September 2011
7 Thank hothotshot

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

I've stayed at the travellers inn neumerous times and for weeks at a time and just recently have been charged for having a guest visit for an hour. The last time I visited I was charged 10 dollars for a guest to visit and my last stay I was charged 60 dollars for a guest to visit my room. Renters beware

• Stayed July 2011