“Warm and hospitable.”
Review of St. George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barkerville
St. George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barkerville
Chilliwack, Canada
“Warm and hospitable.”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My sister and I and our two pre-teen kids stayed two nights over the Canada Day weekend. Despite seeking to emulate the experience of travellers in the 19th century, Saya (our host) made our stay comfortable and interesting. She had good knowledge of the town and suggestions about things to do. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and while our rooms were not ensuite, we only had to share the bathroom (toilet, shower, sink) with each other. Breakfast was awesome, with enough choice to satisfy everyone. My only concern would be to mention that in the heat of the summer, screens on the windows would be helpful in the battle against the biting insects flying in, and a ceiling fan would also be helpful to keep the air moving and more comfortable without being too much of an anachronism to the period depiction of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank alexandra_n0362
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I thank you very much for coming and am very flattered that you enjoyed your stay.
I also thank you for your comments about the screens on the windows. I will surely share your concerns with the Maintenance Department. Not holding up much hope for the fans, though, but your comments will be duley noted. :)
It was lovely meeting you.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We came to Barkerville with my husbands family and his father's friends for a night. To say the least, it was an interesting experience. There were 7 people in our party and we took up 4 rooms. When we arrived, we were requested to take off our shoes. While we understand the request (to preserve the quality of the old hotel), we still thought it was a bit odd. We were shown around the small hotel and were escorted up to our room. My husband and I were in room #7 and definitely felt as if we were shafted to the end of the hallway with everyone else's bathrooms. When Saya (inn keeper) showed us our room, she did warn us of these little black bugs... more on the bugs later. And that if we wanted we could close our windows and put this citronella oil on the lace drapes. We did. Apparently, this was supposed to help.
My group went out for a walk around Barkerville and dinner at Long Duck Tong (HIGHLY RECOMMEND). When we came back Saya made us tea in the parlor. We assumed she would make us tea and then attend to her other duties... we were definitely mistaken. She awkwardly sat with us and tried to have conversations with us. It made us a bit uncomfortable. During this conversation she made some odd comments about how children annoy her and how this poor little kitty that lives in Barkerville annoys her. Kind of odd conversations to hold with people you just met.
When we went to bed... these black bugs were the most awful thing ever. We had closed our window and used this oil but it did not help. We killed approximately 100 bugs. I had a rough time sleeping because I could feel these bugs crawling all over us. We rubbed this oil all over the canopy of the bed, ourselves, and the lace drapes and nothing helped. I ended up having at least 15 itchy bug bites the next morning. This was the most uncomfortable sleep I have ever experienced.
In the morning, when we showed it was a bit rough. The drapes on the bathroom window were completely see-through, therefore Barkerville has seen us completely nude. My husband is 6'4, and the shower is super short. It was just awkward. We got ready and went downstairs for breakfast. Saya would not provide you with your breakfast until your entire party was downstairs, so she demanded us to go get the two other people in our party. The manner in which she stated this was uncalled for and rude. I don't understand this. 5 of us were ready, was it necessary for us to go get the other 2? Couldn't we allow them to go at their own pace? This is supposed to be a vacation at a bed and breakfast after all. While most of the experience was awful, my breakfast was delicious. I had the homemade granola. It was unbelievable! While my group was finishing up with breakfast, Saya rudely told us that we needed to get up from the table and move on because she still had to feed others and get everyone out by 10AM. Many times, she made this completely clear that she needed us packed and out of her establishment by 10AM because she had another job at the post office. She told my mother-in-law to go get my father-in-law in order for him to pay. My MIL stated she could go ahead and pay for all of our rooms.
We packed and left. Apparently in the process of us getting booted out of the bed and breakfast my FIL forgot to turn in his key. Saya awkwardly sought him out while we were walking around Barkerville and rudely told him that he did not turn in the key and she demanded her key back and she would have had to fine him if she did not get it back.
Needless to say, this was an unpleasant experience. I will never stay at the St. George Hotel ever again for fear of getting eaten alive by the black bugs and feeling uncomfortable with the innkeeper. Spend your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in #7 if you want to hear everyone use the restroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lyndz1019
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Sorry to say, Lyndz, your Father-in-law insisted that you have that room. That decision was entirely out of my hands. I'm also very sorry to say, those were your family in the hall bathrooms.
While I and many more guests found the 100% essential oil product, humourously named "buzz off", to be effective, and nicely aromatic, I'm sorry that your evening was a misery. I get that.
I thank you for your comments, and I will once again gladly bring this to the attention of the Maintenance Dept., and maybe some day I will have screens installed.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I hesitated to write a review of this place as I left with a very mixed experience. Reading other reviews it seems like there are bits of each of their experience, good and bad, in our experience. First of all...this is a very old building...the walls are paper thin, single pane glass and all modern upgrades must have been very difficult. The rooms are tiny and if you take the end room (#7) you'll have the mixed pleasure of hearing all the detailed bathroom activities of all the non-bathroom guests. I'll let you figure out if that's good or bad. It can be quite humours or authentically 100 year old normal gross human noises. There are no blinds or curtains that you can pull over the east facing window so you 'will' get up at about 5:30 unless you sleep like the dead. The big yellow alarm clock will blind you if the sun is happening and you will wake up...if not ...the guy in the toilet doing all the above mentioned symphony at whatever time they start to parade to the John will wake you up. That's ok...it's what it was and it's part of the real experience. The bathroom was quite modern but there's no heat. Careful in the shower as when you turn around you'll hit the tap and change the hot/cold mix to something not so pleasant. The hosts were very nice and friendly but I think a little overworked at times and that might come off as some kind of attitude to some folks. The breakfast was good but yes, you may have to wait if you don't get down early and yes, it's only an hour between 8 and 9. We stayed two days and had to hang around for about 1/2 an hour to get seated. It's not exactly cheap but it's not terribly expensive (about $300 Cdn for 2 nights in one of the better rooms). The socializing at night was really nice and Saya helps to make it work. I enjoyed talking to all the people from around the world instead of TV, internet and the usual hotel diversions. Overall it's definitely a taste of Barkerville and you simply step out the door and you're there. It's a very unique experience and not for everyone...especially the modern hotel, serve me, set. Like I say, the rooms are a tad uncomfortable, but very authentic. Do not eat in the room...if you get any stains on the linen you'll get a $200 bill. The bed takes up most of the room so don't press you're luck. So; down side...toilet noise symphony, no eating in your room, 5am wake up, short breakfast call, people snoring in two rooms, kind of cold in the bathroom, just shears in the bathroom window so careful how you prance about.....Upside: great staff, nice breakfast (sorry, no decaf coffee), not terribly expensive, great social experience every night, right in the old town for easy launch to all the amenities, very authentic in every sense. Conclusions, I'm not sure i'd do it again but I'm sure glad we did it this time. I would definitely try it once but if you're the type that likes the modern amenities you'll get cranky...it's not for you. It's beautifully authentic and very real and a great experience...but on my vacation I'd like to sleep in and I love a comfortable bed. Try it!

PS..now I can say I slept in a Bordello...that's one for your bucket list.

Room Tip: Don't take room 7 if you want to sleep in although it's a very sweet little room...careful i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmc19751
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your very thoughtful review of the hotel. It was much appreciated.
As my bedroom is located on the main floor, it never occured to me that the morning sun was an issue - but of course it would be. So this winter I made roman blinds for all the bedrooms. Problem Solved.
As for the noise transferance, I will happily bring this to the attention of Barkerville's Maintenance Department and see if there is something they can do with foam. Problem Solving in Progress.
Indeed, the hotel is a hectic place in the mornings, and the pace barely slows until Tea Time - when I can sit for a bit. It makes me happy that you enjoyed yourself too.
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I believe that our two night stay at the St George Hotel in Barkerville added to our experience of the old Gold Rush town. Not surprisingly, the evenings in Barkerville, especially in late spring, are very quiet, restful, and relaxing. With so very few visitors/tourists about, our experience of the town seemed somehow more "authentic". It was easy to imagine what life must have been like "back in the day" - difficult me thinks. As worthwhile as the authenticity of our stay was, it was Saya's welcoming and informative hospitality that really made our stay as good as it was. On our first evening in the hotel, Saya served us tea (a nightly ritual) and information. Breakfast the next day, when we had the "Boarding House Reach Table" to ourselves, was both delicious and filling. My husband chose the pancakes and I the home made granola with fruit and yogurt - both good choices. Saya joined us briefly and gave us good information re visiting the town and our planned visit to Wells that afternoon. We enjoyed our tour of the town and were very happy that we chose to see the musical review which was very entertaining - well worth the price of admission. On our second evening at the Hotel, almost all of the rooms were occupied. While it is true that you can hear the other guests' activities, the noise isn't such that sleeping is difficult. In fact, we both slept very well on the two nights that we stayed at the Hotel. Breakfast the second day, an omelette for my husband and pancakes for me, at a full table was just as good and filling as the day before and the conversation of our fellow guests and Saya's giving each of us a Scratch and Win Gold Rush card (I won $2.00 - yea!) were lots of fun. All in all, a very good stay.

Room Tip: As you might expect in a "Gold Rush"/period hotel, the rooms are small and without closets...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Its so nice to hear that you had fun at the hotel. I love playing Let's Get Rich at the St. George. It reminds me of my teaching days. And congratulations on "Striking it Rich"!
I hope you'll come visit us agian.
Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This was my first time in Barkerville and I loved it. Just to add to the experience, I booked a night at the St. George. We had a great time spending the evening on the shared porch at the front of the property. We had the room in back with its own private washroom which was great. I got exactly what I had been expecting. The bed was a little hard but other than that it was clean and tidy. If you're expecting a 5* experience this isn't the place. This is a period hotel with period features and was well worth the money. Like someone else said, it's part of the character of the place having shared bathrooms and thinner walls. Breakfast was on time and there was plenty of it. We found the owner quite nice and had a long conversation with her while we were eating.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have their own bathroom so read the room type carefully. All rooms are quiet consider...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. It's always a good start to the morning when I have the time to chat a bit with the guests.
Thank you for staying with us!
canada
Reviewed 27 December 2012

A large group of us stayed here for a night. Lady in charge gave us the impression that we were a nusiance and an inconvience to her.... Breakfast was ok. My omelette was suposed to have feta cheese - none in there, a friend order the same and got a piece smaller then her baby finger nail.

One girlfriend wanted more coffee and after wating for a long time went into the back to get request some and got snapped at. So we spend the morning sitting there waiting and trying to not annoy the owner..... We were happy to leave.... I think she was too, which was sad considering we had 5 rooms!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank someone18
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I can only apologize to the 5 of you who stayed at the St. George and the 7 other gals who drifted in and out throughout the day. In the field of customer service there are good days, and there are days you wish could have gone better.
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We overnighted in Barkerville as part of a tour through Northern BC. The St. George was our first choice since we wanted to stay in the town itself (not realizing that there were two other B&B's actually in Barkerville itself).

I found the hotel quaint and quite interesting. We stayed in room 7 at the back and were very comfortable (the bed really does have heavy coverings!). I'm surprised that others expected anything other than what it is: it's not meant to be a Ramada or a Howard Johnson's. So smaller rooms and thin walls were part of the construction methods of the day. Didn't find any of this a distraction or a bother...it's just part of the character of the hotel itself. I just thought it was great that they had Internet...now THAT'S a mod-con I like!

Saya, the proprietress, was anything but the ice queen that some other reviews had indicated: she was warm, helpful, informative and quite funny. All this while being under a lot of duress as well: her staff had already left for the season thus she had all the work necessary to keep the hotel running with the place full of German filmmakers.
The breakfast was everything that the other reviewers raved about: tasty, filling and very well prepared.

We enjoyed our stay at the St. George; it added to the Barkerville experience and I feel confident in recommending this establishment to any other travellers looking for an extra element in their visit to this historic town.

All the best,
Phil

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhormerlyPhrozenPhil
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Oh Phil, you are so generous. I remember meeting you. I was dishevled, racing about and feeling very unattractive. lol Bless your dear heart.
It was quite the week, that's for sure! The film debuted in Germany and in the fall of 2013 they screened the film in the locations where they filmed, which was really cool! (they were filming in locations from Lilloet to Fort St. James)
Thanks so much for staying with us. :)

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!