“Good location, but uncomfortable lodgings and interactions.”
Review of St. George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barkerville
St. George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barkerville
“Good location, but uncomfortable lodgings and interactions.”
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a good spot for a one night stay in Barkerville, but I wish we would have stayed outside of the town. The two biggest issues with this hotel were the black flies that invaded our room and the customer who used the shared bathroom that we were sharing with family members in another room, not with him. The
innkeeper, Saya, is so incredibly fussy, one would think she would note this in her list of rules for the hotel. During the stay I felt more like an interloper than a guest. I did not appreciate the pressure to eat my breakfast fast, pay, and get out. I'd suggest a stay outside of town. Barkerville is a great place to visit, but after 7 pm there's nothing to do. Tea in Saya's parlor wasn't my idea of a fun evening, especially at the rate she charges.

• Stayed June 2013
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Fraud53, that your stay at the hotel was less than you had anticipated.
Our Common Bathrooms are assigned to specific rooms to accommodate friends travelling together. I wish I had known there was a problem. I can understand why you would be upset!
Your request for screens have been added to the list - Thank you.
I do acknowledge that evenings can be a challenge and with luck we will have a liquor licence to fix that in 2014. Wish us luck!

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lynden, Washington
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My son and I have stayed at the St. George Hotel, in Barkerville, on two occasions, (this time bringing other family with us). We so enjoyed the hospitality of Saya and her small crew that we managed to go again this month. The experience is immersing yourself in the history of our region. Our visit, on this trip, was as enjoyable as ever. Saya took the time to get out the Scrabble board and play a game with my son and I, (an event that he had so enjoyed last trip that he hasn't stopped talking about it). The food was as good as ever and the atmosphere was warm and relaxed. It is not like staying in a modern hotel, (it is an authentic building that dates back over one hundred years) and so for those travelers that require all the modern conveniences, you will likely be disappointed, (like Lyndz1019 in her cranky review). It is in the bush, in Northern BC and so biting flies are absolutely going to be an issue. We brought the "OFF Clip Ons and clipped them to the curtains at night and that worked satisfactorily to control the bugs, in the room. That being said, screens would be a nice addition.
All said, Saya takes the time to visit with her guests in an authentic way such as an historic innkeeper would. She keeps a very nice tidy and clean establishment that offers visitors a reasonably priced stay inside the walls of an historic gem. You really get a feel of the town when the other tourists have left for the day and you are one of the few people left in Barkerville.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Oh my Gosh! It was so great to see you again and to meet your sister and neice. Scrabble was so much fun and I looked forward to it from the moment you called to make your reservations. What a delight.
This was an awesome year at the St. George that brought home many friends from the last 7 years. It was very special for me to see so many familiar faces - my brain was working overtime trying to remember everyone.
I sure hope we have the chance to get together again.
Cheers, and all the best in 2014.
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My sister and I and our two pre-teen kids stayed two nights over the Canada Day weekend. Despite seeking to emulate the experience of travellers in the 19th century, Saya (our host) made our stay comfortable and interesting. She had good knowledge of the town and suggestions about things to do. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and while our rooms were not ensuite, we only had to share the bathroom (toilet, shower, sink) with each other. Breakfast was awesome, with enough choice to satisfy everyone. My only concern would be to mention that in the heat of the summer, screens on the windows would be helpful in the battle against the biting insects flying in, and a ceiling fan would also be helpful to keep the air moving and more comfortable without being too much of an anachronism to the period depiction of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank alexandra_n0362
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I thank you very much for coming and am very flattered that you enjoyed your stay.
I also thank you for your comments about the screens on the windows. I will surely share your concerns with the Maintenance Department. Not holding up much hope for the fans, though, but your comments will be duley noted. :)
It was lovely meeting you.
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We came to Barkerville with my husbands family and his father's friends for a night. To say the least, it was an interesting experience. There were 7 people in our party and we took up 4 rooms. When we arrived, we were requested to take off our shoes. While we understand the request (to preserve the quality of the old hotel), we still thought it was a bit odd. We were shown around the small hotel and were escorted up to our room. My husband and I were in room #7 and definitely felt as if we were shafted to the end of the hallway with everyone else's bathrooms. When Saya (inn keeper) showed us our room, she did warn us of these little black bugs... more on the bugs later. And that if we wanted we could close our windows and put this citronella oil on the lace drapes. We did. Apparently, this was supposed to help.
My group went out for a walk around Barkerville and dinner at Long Duck Tong (HIGHLY RECOMMEND). When we came back Saya made us tea in the parlor. We assumed she would make us tea and then attend to her other duties... we were definitely mistaken. She awkwardly sat with us and tried to have conversations with us. It made us a bit uncomfortable. During this conversation she made some odd comments about how children annoy her and how this poor little kitty that lives in Barkerville annoys her. Kind of odd conversations to hold with people you just met.
When we went to bed... these black bugs were the most awful thing ever. We had closed our window and used this oil but it did not help. We killed approximately 100 bugs. I had a rough time sleeping because I could feel these bugs crawling all over us. We rubbed this oil all over the canopy of the bed, ourselves, and the lace drapes and nothing helped. I ended up having at least 15 itchy bug bites the next morning. This was the most uncomfortable sleep I have ever experienced.
In the morning, when we showed it was a bit rough. The drapes on the bathroom window were completely see-through, therefore Barkerville has seen us completely nude. My husband is 6'4, and the shower is super short. It was just awkward. We got ready and went downstairs for breakfast. Saya would not provide you with your breakfast until your entire party was downstairs, so she demanded us to go get the two other people in our party. The manner in which she stated this was uncalled for and rude. I don't understand this. 5 of us were ready, was it necessary for us to go get the other 2? Couldn't we allow them to go at their own pace? This is supposed to be a vacation at a bed and breakfast after all. While most of the experience was awful, my breakfast was delicious. I had the homemade granola. It was unbelievable! While my group was finishing up with breakfast, Saya rudely told us that we needed to get up from the table and move on because she still had to feed others and get everyone out by 10AM. Many times, she made this completely clear that she needed us packed and out of her establishment by 10AM because she had another job at the post office. She told my mother-in-law to go get my father-in-law in order for him to pay. My MIL stated she could go ahead and pay for all of our rooms.
We packed and left. Apparently in the process of us getting booted out of the bed and breakfast my FIL forgot to turn in his key. Saya awkwardly sought him out while we were walking around Barkerville and rudely told him that he did not turn in the key and she demanded her key back and she would have had to fine him if she did not get it back.
Needless to say, this was an unpleasant experience. I will never stay at the St. George Hotel ever again for fear of getting eaten alive by the black bugs and feeling uncomfortable with the innkeeper. Spend your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay in #7 if you want to hear everyone use the restroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lyndz1019
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Sorry to say, Lyndz, your Father-in-law insisted that you have that room. That decision was entirely out of my hands. I'm also very sorry to say, those were your family in the hall bathrooms.
While I and many more guests found the 100% essential oil product, humourously named "buzz off", to be effective, and nicely aromatic, I'm sorry that your evening was a misery. I get that.
I thank you for your comments, and I will once again gladly bring this to the attention of the Maintenance Dept., and maybe some day I will have screens installed.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I hesitated to write a review of this place as I left with a very mixed experience. Reading other reviews it seems like there are bits of each of their experience, good and bad, in our experience. First of all...this is a very old building...the walls are paper thin, single pane glass and all modern upgrades must have been very difficult. The rooms are tiny and if you take the end room (#7) you'll have the mixed pleasure of hearing all the detailed bathroom activities of all the non-bathroom guests. I'll let you figure out if that's good or bad. It can be quite humours or authentically 100 year old normal gross human noises. There are no blinds or curtains that you can pull over the east facing window so you 'will' get up at about 5:30 unless you sleep like the dead. The big yellow alarm clock will blind you if the sun is happening and you will wake up...if not ...the guy in the toilet doing all the above mentioned symphony at whatever time they start to parade to the John will wake you up. That's ok...it's what it was and it's part of the real experience. The bathroom was quite modern but there's no heat. Careful in the shower as when you turn around you'll hit the tap and change the hot/cold mix to something not so pleasant. The hosts were very nice and friendly but I think a little overworked at times and that might come off as some kind of attitude to some folks. The breakfast was good but yes, you may have to wait if you don't get down early and yes, it's only an hour between 8 and 9. We stayed two days and had to hang around for about 1/2 an hour to get seated. It's not exactly cheap but it's not terribly expensive (about $300 Cdn for 2 nights in one of the better rooms). The socializing at night was really nice and Saya helps to make it work. I enjoyed talking to all the people from around the world instead of TV, internet and the usual hotel diversions. Overall it's definitely a taste of Barkerville and you simply step out the door and you're there. It's a very unique experience and not for everyone...especially the modern hotel, serve me, set. Like I say, the rooms are a tad uncomfortable, but very authentic. Do not eat in the room...if you get any stains on the linen you'll get a $200 bill. The bed takes up most of the room so don't press you're luck. So; down side...toilet noise symphony, no eating in your room, 5am wake up, short breakfast call, people snoring in two rooms, kind of cold in the bathroom, just shears in the bathroom window so careful how you prance about.....Upside: great staff, nice breakfast (sorry, no decaf coffee), not terribly expensive, great social experience every night, right in the old town for easy launch to all the amenities, very authentic in every sense. Conclusions, I'm not sure i'd do it again but I'm sure glad we did it this time. I would definitely try it once but if you're the type that likes the modern amenities you'll get cranky...it's not for you. It's beautifully authentic and very real and a great experience...but on my vacation I'd like to sleep in and I love a comfortable bed. Try it!

PS..now I can say I slept in a Bordello...that's one for your bucket list.

Room Tip: Don't take room 7 if you want to sleep in although it's a very sweet little room...careful i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmc19751
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your very thoughtful review of the hotel. It was much appreciated.
As my bedroom is located on the main floor, it never occured to me that the morning sun was an issue - but of course it would be. So this winter I made roman blinds for all the bedrooms. Problem Solved.
As for the noise transferance, I will happily bring this to the attention of Barkerville's Maintenance Department and see if there is something they can do with foam. Problem Solving in Progress.
Indeed, the hotel is a hectic place in the mornings, and the pace barely slows until Tea Time - when I can sit for a bit. It makes me happy that you enjoyed yourself too.
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I believe that our two night stay at the St George Hotel in Barkerville added to our experience of the old Gold Rush town. Not surprisingly, the evenings in Barkerville, especially in late spring, are very quiet, restful, and relaxing. With so very few visitors/tourists about, our experience of the town seemed somehow more "authentic". It was easy to imagine what life must have been like "back in the day" - difficult me thinks. As worthwhile as the authenticity of our stay was, it was Saya's welcoming and informative hospitality that really made our stay as good as it was. On our first evening in the hotel, Saya served us tea (a nightly ritual) and information. Breakfast the next day, when we had the "Boarding House Reach Table" to ourselves, was both delicious and filling. My husband chose the pancakes and I the home made granola with fruit and yogurt - both good choices. Saya joined us briefly and gave us good information re visiting the town and our planned visit to Wells that afternoon. We enjoyed our tour of the town and were very happy that we chose to see the musical review which was very entertaining - well worth the price of admission. On our second evening at the Hotel, almost all of the rooms were occupied. While it is true that you can hear the other guests' activities, the noise isn't such that sleeping is difficult. In fact, we both slept very well on the two nights that we stayed at the Hotel. Breakfast the second day, an omelette for my husband and pancakes for me, at a full table was just as good and filling as the day before and the conversation of our fellow guests and Saya's giving each of us a Scratch and Win Gold Rush card (I won $2.00 - yea!) were lots of fun. All in all, a very good stay.

Room Tip: As you might expect in a "Gold Rush"/period hotel, the rooms are small and without closets...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Its so nice to hear that you had fun at the hotel. I love playing Let's Get Rich at the St. George. It reminds me of my teaching days. And congratulations on "Striking it Rich"!
I hope you'll come visit us agian.
Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This was my first time in Barkerville and I loved it. Just to add to the experience, I booked a night at the St. George. We had a great time spending the evening on the shared porch at the front of the property. We had the room in back with its own private washroom which was great. I got exactly what I had been expecting. The bed was a little hard but other than that it was clean and tidy. If you're expecting a 5* experience this isn't the place. This is a period hotel with period features and was well worth the money. Like someone else said, it's part of the character of the place having shared bathrooms and thinner walls. Breakfast was on time and there was plenty of it. We found the owner quite nice and had a long conversation with her while we were eating.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have their own bathroom so read the room type carefully. All rooms are quiet consider...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. It's always a good start to the morning when I have the time to chat a bit with the guests.
Thank you for staying with us!

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!