“A Fantastic Escape”
Review of St. George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barkerville
St. George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barkerville
Reviewed 1 September 2013

First of all, anyone considering visiting Barkerville should do their research before posting complaints about the lack of amenities. That being said, for 2 nights we stayed in Room #1 with a private bath. As with the rest of the house, it was furnished with an aesthetic appropriate to the era. It had a beautiful and comfortable 4 poster bed with cozy linens, a couple of nightstands with table lamps and beautifully appointed adornments. The private ensuite was a 3 piece consisting of a toilet, sink and stand up shower. Shoes are left at the front door, therefore there is no need to describe how immaculately clean and tidy of a home Saya runs...SPOTLESS!

The breakfast's each morning were delicious and satisfying. She definitely doesn't send you off hungry. We both tried each of the omelettes the first morning and had the blueberry pancakes the second day. I highly recommend trying the pancakes and dusting them with the icing sugar and cinnamon, they were amazing! Mind you, there were nothing but praises about her homemade granola. We were joined each morning by a variety of people who all added to how fantastic this trip was for us.

In the evenings, Saya serves tea and if she has some down time, she'll sit down and join you. We very much enjoyed our conversations with her. She's worn many hats in her life and has a lot of interesting stories to tell. Had we only known how much she loves Scrabble, we would have appreciated a game...maybe next time.

My 2 cents - It's too bad some people are so ignorant as to complain about the lack of tv and other forms of entertainment. The whole purpose of visiting a place like Barkerville is to travel back in time and appreciate a simpler way of life. There were no tv's, movie theatres, clubs, or video games etc. back then, so why expect it now? You are considering visiting a historical site whose purpose is to be as authentic to the town as it was in approximately 1870. If you're looking for Disneyland, move on.
 Of course there are bugs that bite, you're in the mountains! But guess what, Saya is thoughtul enough to provide citronella to use as repellent.
If your children are behaved well enough to be trusted with antiques and breakables, then they may enjoy it here. After all, evening tea is served in CHINA and enjoyed in the PARLOUR ROOM...get my drift?

Barkerville pretty much closes down at 7pm at which point, as a guest of 1 of the 3 B&B's located within the gates, allows you to roam freely and explore the town without the all of the crowds. Barkerville has a ton to offer and I wish we had stayed for a whole 2 days rather than the day and a half we allotted ourselves.
Thanks for everything and we'll be seeing you again Saya!

6  Thank jeffer77
MissSaya, Owner at St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

I sincrely appreciate your sympathetic and thoughtful reflections on the hotel. It really is a special place and I'm so privaledged to be able to share it with thousands of people every year. I truely enjoy meeting and talking about the history of this town with each and every one of my guests (almost).
I look forward seeing you agian too!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Remember to bring a pair of indoor shoes or slippers and then you will start of on the right foot! Changing over to your indoor footwear, made it feel like home, wandering around in your slippers:) Our little group rented out the entire hotel for the night, so we made ourselves at home, and brought snacks and beverages so we could visit. We sat around in the evening and had a great time, with Saya joining us for a spell, which we enjoyed! We had a lovely breakfast in the morning, and I really enjoyed the pancakes! During our stay she had some local information that she shared with us about the history of Barkerville! It was nice having a room in Barkerville and staying the night and not having a drive home at the end of the day! If you have snacks to keep cool, there was a small fridge available on the top floor. This was most useful for our group get together.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Time4RandR

;Oh my goodness, looking after you was like a holiday. Every day should be so easy!
Let's do that again. :)

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed at the St. George in August, 2013, in Room 2. The room is at the front of the hotel steps from the Veranda, with an ensuite bathroom. The room sizes are larger than the average European hotel room, exactly what you should expect of a historically accurate property. The building upgrades have been done very sympathetically leaving one with the sense that there should be a washbasin and chamber pot, rather than the hidden modern plumbing. The canopied bed was very comfortable, and the extreme sense of quiet after dark gave one of the most peaceful nights sleep ever. Saya is an incredible Hostess who works tirelessly for 18 hours a day, quite an accomplishment as she is always in character with 3 or more different Victorian costumes throughout the day. Some reviewers had negative comments about Saya's attention, however we are very private and we never felt that she ever imposed herself upon us, yet she was right there any time we needed anything. A night at the St. George is essential if you make Barkerville a destination. Thanks Saya, it was awesome!

1  Thank Karen T

Thank you, Karen, for your thoughtful and sympathetic review.
Bless your heart, really.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this delightful little hotel for two nights and had such a great experience that we will be back! Saya has created a beautiful, charming, old world atmosphere in the middle of a busy world. We did step back in time and loved it. The rooms are small and cozy with such comfy beds! Breakfast was part of the deal but we sure didn't expect the homemade feast that we got. "No-see-ums" were bad but the "buzz-off" provided by Saya kept them out of our room even though our window was open the whole two days. Thank you Saya for the best get-away we've had this summer.

Room Tip: We did book early enough to have a private bathroom but there didn't seem to be a problem amongs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you, Karin, for your compliments on the breakfast table. I get a lot of pleasure from setting the table in morning, I have to say. The moment when people come into the dining area and see it for the first time is so satisfying and makes me happy.
I'm glad the buzz off worked for you. I love the smelllllllll
It was good to have you! :)

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My 10 year old son and I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel. We stayed in room 7 and are both very sound sleepers so were not bothered at all by either the noises or the light in the room. In fact I had the best sleep I've had in ages and I had to wake my son up in time for breakfast, even after going to bed early (9 PM) the night before! I think it's important to have reasonable expectations for this stay. The fact of the matter is that it's an old building which adds immensely to the overall experience - yes, small rooms and yes, thin walls but beautifully decorated and cozy! We enjoyed Saya's company both in the evening and in the morning. She can make the occasional 'sharp' comment but can be equally as charming and welcoming :). Breakfast was yummy - delicious homemade granola and fluffy pancakes! It's so nice to have the hotel to look forward to at the end of the day exploring Barkerville and/or to be able to wake up in the morning to explore again! I would highly recommend staying!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank your for your comments and I'm pleased you slept well. Many customers tell me the same - I think its the deep silence and the altitude.
I'm glad you came on one of those "better than good" pancake days. Its always gratifying when the plan goes well.
Thank you for coming to stay with us.

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a good spot for a one night stay in Barkerville, but I wish we would have stayed outside of the town. The two biggest issues with this hotel were the black flies that invaded our room and the customer who used the shared bathroom that we were sharing with family members in another room, not with him. The
innkeeper, Saya, is so incredibly fussy, one would think she would note this in her list of rules for the hotel. During the stay I felt more like an interloper than a guest. I did not appreciate the pressure to eat my breakfast fast, pay, and get out. I'd suggest a stay outside of town. Barkerville is a great place to visit, but after 7 pm there's nothing to do. Tea in Saya's parlor wasn't my idea of a fun evening, especially at the rate she charges.

• Stayed: June 2013

I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Fraud53, that your stay at the hotel was less than you had anticipated.
Our Common Bathrooms are assigned to specific rooms to accommodate friends travelling together. I wish I had known there was a problem. I can understand why you would be upset!
Your request for screens have been added to the list - Thank you.
I do acknowledge that evenings can be a challenge and with luck we will have a liquor licence to fix that in 2014. Wish us luck!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

My son and I have stayed at the St. George Hotel, in Barkerville, on two occasions, (this time bringing other family with us). We so enjoyed the hospitality of Saya and her small crew that we managed to go again this month. The experience is immersing yourself in the history of our region. Our visit, on this trip, was as enjoyable as ever. Saya took the time to get out the Scrabble board and play a game with my son and I, (an event that he had so enjoyed last trip that he hasn't stopped talking about it). The food was as good as ever and the atmosphere was warm and relaxed. It is not like staying in a modern hotel, (it is an authentic building that dates back over one hundred years) and so for those travelers that require all the modern conveniences, you will likely be disappointed, (like Lyndz1019 in her cranky review). It is in the bush, in Northern BC and so biting flies are absolutely going to be an issue. We brought the "OFF Clip Ons and clipped them to the curtains at night and that worked satisfactorily to control the bugs, in the room. That being said, screens would be a nice addition.
All said, Saya takes the time to visit with her guests in an authentic way such as an historic innkeeper would. She keeps a very nice tidy and clean establishment that offers visitors a reasonably priced stay inside the walls of an historic gem. You really get a feel of the town when the other tourists have left for the day and you are one of the few people left in Barkerville.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Oh my Gosh! It was so great to see you again and to meet your sister and neice. Scrabble was so much fun and I looked forward to it from the moment you called to make your reservations. What a delight.
This was an awesome year at the St. George that brought home many friends from the last 7 years. It was very special for me to see so many familiar faces - my brain was working overtime trying to remember everyone.
I sure hope we have the chance to get together again.
Cheers, and all the best in 2014.

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!