“Good enough for a sleep”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Williams Lake
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Williams Lake
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and I have stayed and seen some very poor and disgusting rooms but this a Sandman and it does have standards. My stay was only for a few hours but it was great. The midnight staff lady was very nice, even at 4am. The room was clean and updated. The only downside is the Dennys attached to the hotel, avoid this!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Booked a room here for the price of 100 for one night and they jacked the price up to 140. Called head office and they didnt do anything for me so I sucked it up and paid the extra money. Then when I got to my room there was only one bed when I booked a room for 2. Went back down ti the desk and all they did was offer us a king size bed and a foamy to sleep on. I will never book a room here again how can you screw up so bad.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scott W
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Room was really clean and modern. Good coffee in room. Pool was clean. Sad that there is no hot tub which is surprising. Washer and dryer was a nice touch to have. Worked very well. Dennys restaurant attached is convenient. Friendly front desk staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Here is my experience with this hotel:

We arrive, the hotel has no reservation for us. They are able to get us a room. (we later find out the company that set up the reservation did indeed set it up...the hotel clerk couldn't find it. We get to our room to unwind. We are there about 1/2 hr when someone tries getting into our room. We have it dead bolted so they couldn't open the door. I look through the peep hole and clearly the man is confused and looking for his room. He leaves and comes back 10 minutes later trying again to get in to the room. I open the door to tell him he has the wrong room.....however, the key card he has and information from the front desk is that it is the room we were in. In he had checked in and gotten this room earlier in the day....so somehow WE ended up getting HIS room. He went to the front desk and got a new room. Can you imagine if I hadn't dead bolted the room and he showed up at 12 am when my teenage daughter and I were asleep??? What if they guy had been a creep? this is a HUGE safety concern! but just wait our experience doesn't end there. We go down to the denny's attached to the hotel. We wait 15 minutes just to get asked if we want drinks. My daughter and I order chicken soup....that is it...just soup. We waited 20 minutes for our soup. Imagine our surprise when the table the sat down after us order full on meals got their food just before us....they ordered 10 minutes before we got our soup. We go back to our room, our key cards no longer work. I have to go back to the front desk to get new key cards (they cancelled ours when the other gentleman went back to check why his card wasn't working)

We go back to our room and get ready for bed, my daughter pulls down the bedspread and we were appalled and shocked to see blood on the bedspread! I call the front desk, she gets us a new room....she did offer to upgrade us to a suite but a suite only has one bed. My daughter kicks in her sleep and we wanted our own beds so we accept another two bedroom room.

We get to that room, the bathtub is 1/2 full of water, with soap scum in it. There is garbage on the floor and the night stand has a sticky substance on it. The beds at least seemed clean and I was to tired to move again although I do call the front desk to tell them their housekeeping staff is clearly lacking. I advised them of the room condition and told them i would stay there tonight but I want a thorough cleaning the next day.

The next day my daughter and I go down for breakfast. We made sure the do not disturb was NOT on the door to make sure the maids would clean our room. We get back and see that they are on our floor but not yet at our room. We go to our room to wait. By 2 pm they are still not there. I look out into the hallway to see where they are ..... not a sole in sight. The house keeping staff are no longer on the floor. I call the front desk and the send up a woman to clean the room. When she gets there we find out she is laundry staff and not housekeeping staff. The housekeepers were too busy I guess to do their job. She did a wonderful job though so at least the room was clean and I could shower in a clean tub.

When I tell the company that booked the room about this, she was told that the staff at the hotel were going to give us a denny's card for the inconvenience....I call Bull..... My daughter and I were in the hotel the entire day Tuesday and the entire day Thursday. At no time did anyone try to contact us or to reach us to offer us a denny's card....I guess they didn't try to hard did they....since the phones have a light on them letting you know if you have a message. They didn't leave me a message either.

The were so very kind to delay our check out from noon till 4 on the last day as we had a later flight...oh gee thanks so much. Not that it matters, they don't clean their rooms before the new guests arrive anyway.

Oh and I haven't mentioned the barking dog in the hotel, since it is also pet friendly....that wasn't AT ALL IRRITATING!

And while we are at it....how about that lovely pool...in the basement, with one tiny basement window and dark and gloomy....holy crap I have seen this pool are in horror movies I have watched.

It was a terrible experience, one I hope to NEVER experience again.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Debbie E
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Needed a pet friendly hotel but the room I was initially given was filthy. I refused to even take my dog in. In all fairness, the staff were apologetic and gave me another, cleaner room but overall this hotel needs a good cleaning. The bathroom is tiny and difficult to get into. The walls are paper thin. The Denny's next door was actually pretty good for the price. The suites might be nicer but I don't recommend the regular rooms, especially on the ground floor, very noisy. The bed comforters need replacing. Overall not a pleasant stay and for the money, I expected a mini fridge at least.

Room Tip: Book a suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We spent one night here in October. The room was spacious and had a couch as well as a bed. The wifi worked well throughout our stay . All of the staff members were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel has a pool and a Denny's on site. The lobby has free coffee in the morning for guests .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have stayed at this property three times over the last two years. We have always been treated well by the staff in the hotel and connected Dennys. What is declining is the cleaning. The walls, cupboards,tub and taps needed some extra attention. We have made mention of our concerns in the past and were told it was because of renovations. The renovations appear to be done and even if they were not there is no reason the rooms can't be properly cleaned.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business