“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of By the Beach B&B

By the Beach B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chemainus
By the Beach B&B
Ranked #8 of 10 Chemainus B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have been to By the Beach before and when I was desperately in need of a holiday; I decided it was time to visit the "island". Ocean, mountains, beautiful views and serenity is what this B&B has to offer. Chemainus is a quaint little town, their buildings kissed with colorful murals, wonderful coffee and unique gift shops.
By the Beach was the perfect place for my mother and I to spend time together relaxing and sharing wonderful memories. We stayed in the poolside suite which was comfortable and cozy.
Every morning started with a stunning sunrise as I sat by the pool and watched the sky change.
Breakfast was fresh and scrumptious. Fran and Robyn are lovely hosts, they are respectful in providing privacy to their guests. By the Beach has a pool, hot tub, several sitting areas and a trail to the beach.......the most perfect spot.......I wish it was my home!!!
Thanks for everything, Johanna

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Johanna B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wiarton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had company from Ontario so booked them into By the Beach in Chemainus. There is so much to do in Chemainus. Our company was greeted warmly by the hosts at the B & B. They loved the room and the view is to die for! Very private with your own living room etc. The breakfast was delicious and the hosts went out of their way to make their stop in Chemainus memorable, even securing them tickets at the fabulous Chemainus Theatre. A good find.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverley O
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I would not stay here. I felt uncomfortable and without going into massive detail, I had the same type of experience as the woman in the last review. They were unfriendly, and because I made my reservation the same night, they said they would have to go out and get groceries for the breakfast portion of my Bed and Breakfast. When I was asked again about breakfast, she mentioned it might be easier for me to get my own breakfast and she would just knock off $10. She also asked me, while on the way to my room, "you aren't planning on using the hot tub, are you?" Not what you want to hear.

The two women proceeded to bicker in front of me for 10 minutes before I left to grab dinner. They then, strangely, tracked me down at the restaurant where I went for dinner to tell me they didn't take credit card, and she asked if I wanted to get cash, or go somewhere else. I took it as my opportunity to get out of the arrangement as I don't carry cash.

The whole thing felt strange from the moment I walked in the door. A bed and breakfast should be warm and welcoming and they were cold and unpleasant.

I also don't think the photo on this review is correct.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank J L P
ChemainusBCSeaside, Owner at By the Beach B&B, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
First of all, to the reviewer, thank you for drawing to our attention that the photo was not of our B&B. Rest assured it was not posted by us. The situation has been rectified and the photo displayed now, is indeed of By The Beach B&B
The rest of the review is indeed very puzzling!
Since the request for accommodation came the night of, we did ask if the guest could let us know her intentions before 9PM, since that is when the grocery stores close and we wanted to be adequately prepared for breakfast.
When the guest arrived I was the only one at home. I did ask if she would be using the hot tub and explained how it worked.
At the guest's request, I gave a dinner recommendation. Just after the guest left for dinner I realized that I had neglected to tell her that we were no longer accepting credit cards. To save her a trip back to the ATM I drove to the restaurant I had suggested and apologized profusely, offering to accept cash or a personal cheque or to help her find a B&B that was set up to accept credit cards. She declined. I drove home retrieved her bag and delivered it to the restaurant.
Youbou, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

My husband and I stayed @ By the Beach for 3 days over Christmas.

After we returned home I went on Trip Advisor to say what a fantastic stay we had and found a really bad evaluation which was so far from our experience that I called Robyn and Fran to see what was the scoop.

It seems that the writer mistook the Guest Area – a huge room with 20 foot tall windows overlooking the ocean and mountains and a cosy fireplace and couches - for the owners’ space. That is why, as he said, they never came in there.

Yes, there was no hot water. They did not know about that until they were told because a storm that night had blown-out the pilot light on the water heater and the hot tub was down because a guest, the previous day, had gummed-up the jets with bubble bath and it was being cleaned.

The room they requested was in use. They had a week long guest who often stays there when he locums at the hospital and does not join others for breakfast.

All in all, it seems that our stay was more typical: great food, good conversation and a quiet comfortable stay in an amazing location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue V
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

An excellent experience. Fran and Robyn are excellent hosts. The rooms are gorgeous, especially the Loft in which we stayed. The bath in this room has the most wonderful view out over the bay to Thetis Island and the North Shore mountains beyond. The guest sitting room and dining room are comfortably furnished and spacious so you never feel cramped. Access to the beach from the property is easy and once on the beach you can stroll along to Kin beach then up into town where we had a delightful tea at the Twisted Sisters tearoom.
Breakfast and the conversation was a delight. Fran & Robyn are very good conversationalists with a wide range of topics about which they can converse.

All told, we'd stay there again and next time we will take advantage of their offer to book theatre tickets for us. Thanks for a memorable stay

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geronimoj
France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed here recently and were told that the cheaper suite was taken and the only one available was the Loft for $160/night. After deciding that was out of out budget, the owner - a nice lady - said we could have it for $110 without breakfast. We took the suite. AFTER sending credit card details she informed me that the hot tub was out of order. Which i found to be slightly dishonest. When we arrived, we were shown to the Loft which has a beautiful window view OF THE LIVING ROOM BELOW!!! the bathroom ALSO has windows onto the front room - which thankfully- they never went in to. But we were pretty uncomfortable. That night, we tried having a jacuzzi in our room (since the hot tub was broken) but only luke warm water came out. They asked us to pay on arrival and so without asking for our money back, the least i can do is warn other people not to stay here. Oh. and the cheaper suite had NOT been taken by someone else.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank CanadianNanny
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We needed a place to spend the night on our way to Tofino and this was a good choice. Chemainus has its murals, but not much else,and if you want wine with dinner, you might have to drive a bit; still the view of the bay from this B&B is pretty special and, weather permitting, enjoying it from the patio enhances the experience. We were in the Loft--a bit warm in what was unseasonly warm weather--but cool by sunset and quite comfortable. Breakfast was first rate and served outside. There were posted "do's and don'ts" which was a bit off-putting, but the hosts were very cordial and provided interesting conversation at breakfast. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Professor56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chemainus
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chemainus Inn
#1 of 8 in Ladysmith
Fuller Lake Motel
Fuller Lake Motel
#2 of 2 in Chemainus

Been to By the Beach B&B? Share your experiences!