“Just ok”

Price range: US$8 - US$11
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: We are proud to serve consistent and fresh food prepared daily. Although we do not take reservations, we have a lot of table space and we are quick and efficient at what we do. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Chosen because of the high Trip Advisor ranking, we went for lunch. A quaint establishment on the main street in a heritage home structure. Service and cleanliness were ok.
The cream of potatoe & bacon soup was very nice. I had a ham, swiss & dijon panini, the exterior was like plywood to bite into. My wife had the gluten free egg salad sandwich ( both pictured ). About a 7/10 overall.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

I went to this restaurant with a group for lunch. The food was pre-selected from a choice of five items. The outside is attractive with a large verandah. As soon as I entered, I noticed a pervasive odour of stale grease. Our group was seated in a back room which was painted in depressing colours of puce and beige around the dark paneling which went three quarters up the walls. There was a vault in the wall with a red light above the door. I assume that the building was once a bank but enjoyed imagining that this vault was actually a tiny brothel. There was virtually no table service and in order to get a coffee, one had to line up to get a cup and this was added the list they had at the cash register. They offered a variety of choices and I found mine very good.
They were well organized when it came to serving the chosen meals to the individual diners.
Most of the other people at my table had selected the quiche and salad. The quiche looked like scrambled eggs in a crust - boring. The salads were a selection of greens which were nice and fresh. I had tomato parmesan soup and a scone. The scone was superb, large light and cheesy. The soup could have been lovely but there was too much parmesan which made it heavy and very salty. I lined up to pay the bill and took home most of the scone which I enjoyed later.
I would pop in and purchase a scone or muffin but not eat there because of the off-putting odour of stale grease.

4  Thank jacqueline E
Naomi S, Manager at Willow Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Jacqueline,
Thank you so much for visiting Willow Street Café. It was a delight to be of services to your group! We are not a full service café, our patrons order their food at our front counter, and their food is then delivered, fresh and hot, to their table. Our staff went to considerable effort to accommodate your large group, to ensure that your table was set with cutlery and water glasses in advance of your arrival, and that you had a large comfortable space to enjoy your time together. Our kitchen staff ensured that your food was made fresh, just previous to your arrival, and we are very happy that you enjoyed your soup and our amazing scones! Many members of your group also stopped by to personally to thank our staff for their prompt and friendly service, and for the freshly made and delicious meals.
Thank you for the many compliments of our food in your review. I am sorry that you felt the quiche was not to your standards, although I fail to understand how it looks like scrambled eggs. The quiche is made by hand, with fresh ingredients in our kitchen and happens to be one of my personal favourites. The members of your group who had ordered this meal were very happy with it.
I am also at a loss to identify the odour of grease you refer to as our menu does not include any grease laden food or deep fried food, nor did the previous owners use a deep fryer. The café manager and I have made an effort to identify this. Our building is an old heritage building, so perhaps the odour you refer to was simply the smell of a heritage building. Now that the summer weather has arrived we are able to keep a better supply of fresh air flowing through the building.
I am intrigued by your vivid imagination for the use for our vault. You are correct that the building was at one time a bank; it has a diverse and interesting history. Our customers often make their way into our back room to investigate the makings of a real vault, although most are more prone to imagine an exciting bank robbery in progress! J
I am in full agreement with your comment that our walls are in need of a colour upgrade! As new owners of the café, our first order of business was to provide a better working environment for our staff, so this past January we renovated our kitchen. It gives our staff more room to work, and will ensure faster service for our very busy summer season. We do have a lovely sage colour picked out for our walls for next January’s project and hope that you will be by the café to lend your seal of approval!

Reviewed 30 April 2018

I had not been to this Cafe for at least seven years, and was pleasantly surprised to find that nothing of importance had changed.
Ham and split pea soup was delicious, and the cheese scone that came with it was crispy, and light as air.
Cheerful, friendly staff and service with a smile. I'm so glad I stopped in on my way home from Victoria.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited briefly on our way though Chemainus. The selection of home-made pastries, paninis, wraps and soups was just what we needed. I enjoyed the ham and cheddar panini together with a rather excellent pea and ham soup. Great coffee (light, dark and decaff) is bottomless. We sat out on the sunny deck and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Great atmosphere! Amazing selection of food and beverages, can't go wrong. Staff are wonderful... Hidden gem.

1  Thank R2mbs