“fishing trip from ireland”

Coast Chilliwack Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Chilliwack
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 November 2013

rooms excellent ,breakfeast ok ,restaurant very good,
being irish we like our tea but sadly they do not boil water hot enough to make tea also in the bar some of the waiting staff are very forward about asking for gratuities ,as one girl asked when you pay her for a round of drinks how much change will I get you , while we have no problem giving a tip we don't like being asked for it ,a tip should be given for good service and not asked for
we addressed these problems with the management last year but sadly they arose again this year . also the beer prices in the bar seem to be over the top .
also the sauna is never hot as it is on a timer
on the plus side rooms are excellent with the most comfortable beds I have ever come across in a hotel .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
southokanagantourist, General Manager at Coast Chilliwack Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear nmaKk,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that your concerns last year had not been addressed. Please be assured they have been addressed and that your voice has been heard.

Thank you for your continued support of Coast Hotels.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

A bit pricey for what it is.
I contacted the hotel staff several weeks before our planned stay to try to arrange a block of rooms. One staffer did get back to me about it, but when I replied to her I found she had gone on vacation. I tried the back up person who got back to me once, but did not get back to me after I replied. I inquired again and she did not reply. By that time there weren't any rooms left on the hotel's website and only those of us who found it on booking.com got rooms at the hotel. Needless to say I was unable to book a dinner there.
Check in was not good. I made the reservation in my name but my husband's credit card was the one we were using. So they got that information asking him to complete a form, then asked me for ID! Not in a really nice way either.
Later my husband had a headache. We asked at the front desk if they had anything for a headache, and the same person who checked us in said yes, but "I'm not allowed to give it to you." Just say no in the future.
The next day we had booked for 15 for breakfast and asked for a late check out. The same guy on the desk very reluctantly gave us one extra hour. He didn't do it gracefully or make us feel in any way welcome despite the fact that we mentioned we had 15 people coming into the hotel for breakfast.
The Breakfast - while the server was getting us seated she asked if it was a special occasion. I said yes, but she didn't inquire what it was showing me that she didn't really care. Later she took orders. The food came out one or two items at a time until two people, including my husband and my mother (whose 85th birthday we were in town to celebrate), did not get their meals. The rest of us were starting to eat as the food was getting cold and about five minutes later the server came along and asked if everything was okay. I said no and showed her that two people had nothing. She asked what they had ordered! She took the orders! We told her. It was obvious that the meals had not been made. My husband's meal came out but not my mother's. My little 85 year old mother was sitting there with no food while all the rest of us had food. It was highly embarrassing. The server finally brought my mother her toast and one scrambled egg and apologized. It was very poorly arranged and I was not happy. The server made some very minor adjustments to the bill as a result, but I could not recommend this hotel to other travelers. The staff at the front desk and in the restaurant are not effective at their hospitality jobs. I am very unhappy with this experience and will make it my business to tell other travellers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RWilliams05
southokanagantourist, General Manager at Coast Chilliwack Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Mrs Williams,

Thank you for your comments. I must say that I was disturbed and saddened to see how you were treated. We take pride in giving great customer service and attentiveness to all our guests and this instance we failed. For that you have my sincere apologies. Please note that I will be following up with you personally.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

breakfast was fine.... stay away from the pad thai. room was great size tv system was not great unless you knew what channel to look for. shower head was unique. bathroom was fine. would prefer having ice machine on every floor instead of needing tto get on a elevator and down 3 floors for ice

Room Tip: king size with a view on west side
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank westinmex
southokanagantourist, General Manager at Coast Chilliwack Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Westinmex,

Thank you for your comments, sorry to hear that the Pad Tai was not to your liking, we strive to have consistency in our food and have been very successful in this. We hope you try us out again.
Thank you again for your comments they assist us greatly in enhancing our services.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stay at the Chilliwack Coast regularly, sometimes enroute to/from Vancouver during visits there, or to visit an aging family member. It's a newer hotel and well managed from appearances.

Noise: This hotel is centrally located in town itself, but town noise is barely audible. We frequently stay in hotels and I would say it's one of the quietest for its location, particularly if your room faces the lilly pond park (which is half of the hotel).

Lobby: Spacious, peaceful environment, relaxing.

Room: Bed and bedding is excellent [very comfortable]. Everything was very clean and fresh, as always.

Restaurant: We ate both a dinner and breakfast on our last visit and would recommend it. The only comment I would make regarding the eggs benedict is that the sauce was too buttery tasting, too rich. We regularly enjoy home-made eggs benedict, as well as in restaurants when travelling, and this is the first time I've encountered this. This could have been a one-off with the chef, however, I kindly passed on a comment to the waitress for consideration.

Staff: Always pleasant and obliging.

Parking: Plenty of free parking.

Location: Enjoy a large grocery across the street with a strip-mall containing a Starbucks, pizza place I believe, Subway, and a few other little shops.

Pool/Fitness Center: Spacious, bright, clean. Both pool and fitness center are used nearly every visit by both us parents and our 2 children.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We had a business meeting and we found the arrangements excellent. The evening meal was well served and the food excellent. The rooms were comfortable and all the necessities were available including quality toiletries. We certainly would hold another meeting there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David W
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Were greeted by fantastic and friendly staff (Miranda) at check in. When we arrived she was actually finding/printing computer coloring pages for a young girl staying at the hotel with her family. The room and view was excellent! Clean, comfortable and beautiful. Lots of restaurants/coffee shops close by. Great for a quick romantic getaway or a longer family stay too.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have not stayed in any other hotels in Chilliwack, so I cannot compare, but I was surprised that this hotel was number one in the town. The hotel has obviously undergone an extensive renovation to update it's original 60's style. However, outdated elements of the hotel remain, such as having adjoining rooms (that mean you can hear a lot of noise between rooms), glass block walls, shaky elevators, and the exterior of the hotel and the walls just seem to have been painted over. However, the lobby is very nice and leads on to a nice looking restaurant. However, there was no menu for the restaurant provided in the room which I found surprising (only the room service menu was included). It also seemed to be very quiet in there which lead me to believe it could be expensive. Although that is just my guess...
The room itself was a "comfort" (read: basic) room with 2 double beds, which I found a little strange. Although comfortable, they were quite small for 2 adults. I expect a Queen sized bed as a standard in a hotel. There was ample space for 2 Queen beds in the room so I can't imagine why they opted for doubles unless it was to save money.
The view from the room over the man-made "lake" was quite nice, although I have to mention that the whole town of Chilliwack had a smell of manure which got sucked into the hotel hallway during our stay. This was presumably due to all the local farms. Consequently, there was a scented room freshener used in our room which I wasn't wild about, although it was preferable to the smell outside.
A lot of the bathroom floor tiles were cracked, and there was no fridge or microwave in the room. Again, basic things I would have expected. From reading others' reviews on this website, I saw that you can ask for a mini-fridge to be brought up to your room. As we were travelling with my young son, we took a cooler (for his milk) and expected to be able to get a mini-fridge upon arrival. However, we were told that there were none available, but that we could use the staff room fridge as a last resort. Which meant we would have to go down to the front desk and wait for someone to go and get our milk everytime we needed it. Not very convenient. So we just kept filling the cooler up with ice, but it was not ideal.
There is a pool and hot tub but we did not visit it.
As for the much exalted staff and service, I cannot say I experienced excellent service nor bad. It was just average. Check-in and check-out went smoothly but there was only ever one person on the front desk and our requests for a mini-fridge were not received that warmly.
Overall 5/10. I would try elsewhere should I need to stay in Chilliwack again.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeview.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsW777
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilliwack
Hampton Inn By Hilton Chilliwack
#6 of 9 in Chilliwack
Harrison Beach Hotel
Harrison Beach Hotel
#1 of 8 in Harrison Hot Springs

Been to Coast Chilliwack Hotel? Share your experiences!