“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Alberta
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

We stayed at the Chilliwack Coast Hotel for 3 nights during a trip to the Winter Olympics. We paid $110 a night for a 2-queen bed room. Rooms were great: comfy beds, new bathroom, flatscreen TV, very clean and newly renovated. Front desk staff was friendly, and the free wireless internet worked great. We did not visit the pool or the in-hotel restaurant, but both looked nice.

The hotel is right beside a duck pond with a fountain and a little park, which would be fun for kids. There is a grocery store and a Starbucks right across the street, and a drugstore, Tim Horton's and McDonald's within a few minutes walking distance.

Only issue I had was the water temperature in the shower - I like hot showers, and I never seemed to be able to get it as hot as I wanted it to be, but it was still perfectly adequate.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2010

Stayed here for one night earlier this month, it was a nice hotel. I know it’s newly remodeled but never had the chance to compare to what it used to be like, but I like how it is now, the staff told me it was in dire need of a remodel. The room was not huge but was clean, had new bedding and a nice flat screen TV, as well as a cool new sink and vanity. The staff was friendly and was efficient at check in. The pool was open but the gym was still under renovation so they sent me to the Aquatic center, with a free pass (BTW the center was also very nice). My other two trips to Chilliwack were a few years ago and I stayed at the BW Rainbow Inn; this is a much nicer option. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Okanagan, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Coast Hotels took over the Rhombus Hotel in downtown Chilliwack and spent enough time and money on it to make it a really nice place. The staff is extremely friendly and the rooms are wonderful. It's just like a new place -- we loved it. We did find that the pool was not yet finished, but they offered us a pass to a nearby fitness center. No comment on that, since we chose to give it a miss. We also didn't use the restaurant downstairs, though I did peek at their menu. At first glance it looked a bit pricey. Breakfast was not included in the room rate. All in all, we were quite pleased with our stay in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

Amazing renos they did. Like a brand new hotel.
must have spent a fortune...but boy did it turn out great.
beautiful colours in the rooms, nice flat screen tv's. Big room.
most comfortable bed I've slept in...beats the Westin Heavenly beds.
New restaurant (Preston's I think it is called) is hot. Great service, great food.
I would definitely stay here again.
Good for Coast for taking on this hotel and helping revitalize Chilliwack business district.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

I arrived to find the front desk staff friendly enough. My room, upon check in was ready and well-appointed. I was especially pleased with the beds, bedding and bathroom amenities.

I was, however, very disappointed to discover that the pool and Jacuzzi were not yet in service, despite the fact that the website stated these would be open in November. While no date was given, I was not informed, upon booking, that there was any possibility these amenities would not be available for my stay. As I had booked primarily on the strength of the property having a Jacuzze, this came as a major disappointment. When I told the front desk clerk this, I was answered with an apologetic, but vague offer of "vouchers". I have no idea what these might have been for, as they were mentioned again.

Secondly, I did not have wireless access in my room. I have used my laptop all over North America, in Canada, Mexico and the United States, over the past several years, with no difficulty connecting, whatsoever. Why then, was it not possible to connect in this brand new hotel. When I called the front desk, I was told the matter would be investigated. I received a call back and was told that the wireless network was online. I was asked if I'd like to use the Business Centre. At no time was I offered any support in the matter. An ethernet cable would have been the proper response to my problem, but this was not offered.

Finally, on checking out, I ran into the bellhop. Pushing the luggage cart in front of his apparently weary person, this young man had wild hair, was slouched over the cart in jeans and t-shirt and was entirely unpresentable. He was a friendly enough guy (like all the staff I met there), but his appearance was not presentable for the setting.

I was also disappointed to see that the old HVAC system was not managed in the renovations. This unit came on at intervals throughout the night, waking me every two hours. While the bed was very comfortable, the HVAC ensured I was unable to sleep through either of the two nights I slept there.

When I am expecting certain amenities to be in place, they had better be there. I have contacted Coast's head office and I anticipate a satisfactory response to my concerns. Should that not be forthcoming, I will take my business (as a corporate travel arranger) elsewhere.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

I stayed in the Coast Chilliwack Hotel for a friend's party in November. I was a little worried at first because of the reviews that I saw on the internet about this hotel. When I checked in, I was PLEASANTLY surprised. It was like new! I walked into a very clean hotel, with courtious staff. I got to my room and found it to be welcoming and comfortable. All the little additions that made my stay very nice.

What I had found out is that the hotel recently had a major facelift. Millions of dollars worth. It's pretty obvious that this was now a completely different hotel. I do understand that, before the renovations, it was a less than desireable place to stay. But, wow, what a nice place now!

Oh, and yes, the conference facilities and food were both very good. Presentation of all the meals was very appetizing The staff was stellar! Pleasant at all times. If I were living in Chilliwack and were to hold an event, this would be the place that I would hold it.

So, ignore the old ratings about this hotel everyone. I think that you will all be very happy about staying at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Cobble Hill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

This newly refurbished hotel must be the top hotel in Chilliwack. Coast Hotels are pet friendly, as well as friendly in general, and this is no exception. These days, when more and more hotels are being run on a shoestring, with minimum staff with little or no education, this hotel is a rare treat, providing full service around the clock and with a restaurant of international standard, that caters for special requests. The ambiance is Professional and Friendly and the staff are educated and intelligent. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business