“new hotel but service should improve”
Review of Vedder River Inn

Vedder River Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Chilliwack
Kelowna, Canada
“new hotel but service should improve”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Only about 60 rooms in this hotel, a ways from the highway, backs onto apartment buildings and not a river as the description may suggest, I booked directly through the hotel and at first they wouldn't want to give me the rate advertised on their web site, not sure why, the hotel was not even booked 40 %. The next morning the front desk lady complained to me about the other front desk worker the night before (the one which didn't want to give me the rate) but this shouldn't be done in front of guests. They promote restaurants in the area in a way as if they are getting a commission. The common areas don't seem to get cleaned very often. Internet shut off a 10 pm (there is a computer in the front desk area used by staff and maybe if that one gets shut off, all is down?). TV is fairly small

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
vedderriver, Guest Relations Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review as your feedback is very important to us. All staff should honour the internet rates so I am sorry there was confusion in this regard. We do not receive commission from any business that we contact to give our guests a discount. We will definitely be addressing the cleanliness of the common areas. Our rooms are hardwired for internet so I am assuming it was the wifi that disconnected, so I do apologize for this. We do have a complimentary computer for guest use in the main lobby. Most rooms have 32" TV's and it is on our wish list to continually upgrade our TV size as finances allow. We thank you again for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Seattle
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I never write reviews, but this place was worse than any place I have stayed at in as long as I can remember. The staff was poorly trained and unprofessional. The Management was unresponsive. Our room was light and loud. There were two bright lights right outside our room. One window’s shade mildly worked and the other window had no cover whatsoever. It was so bright it made it hard to sleep. We were also put in a room right by the road. Even though the hotel wasn’t full, we were put right by the road. Trucks loudly went by all night long. At about midnight someone was put in the room right next door. We had 20 minutes of them loudly slamming their doors, and dragging their luggage up and down the staircase right by our room. If it was the last room I would understand, but the hotel was only about half full. In the morning I complained to the front desk. She didn’t apologize. I calmly commented that if this room is “the standard” then I won’t likely be back, and if it’s not, I’m not sure why we were given the worst room in the hotel when it wasn’t even full”. She said she was “taking notes” but still offered no apology. She then said, “Well, you are paid in full.” I asked, “No apology, and no compensation?” She still did not apologize and said that she would have the manager contact me. I asked if she had my contact information and she did not. I gave it to her. It’s been three days and I still haven’t heard anything. I called and was told the manager is unavailable for several more days. If you can sleep in a lot of noise, and light, maybe you’d like to give this place a whirl. But you better hope you don’t have any complaints. The staff and management will dismiss you without an apology. I don’t remember the last time I have had such poor customer service.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travelagentSeattle
vedderriver, General Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Just coming back from being on a holiday January 3, 2013 your matter was just brought to my attention. I am extremely sorry that you had an unpleasant stay at our facility. We have friendly staff at the front desk 24 hours.
We are very careful that our customers get what they want and are satisfied by our service both at front desk and in housekeeping. If we had more notice during your stay our policy would have been to move you or upgrade you to another room which might have better accommodated you. As the staff not being professional enough and not apologizing I will look into this matter and do appreciate your input. Please remember we cannot fix problems if not brought to our attention during your stay.
Management
Nanaimo BC Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I found this hotel on the Internet and needed just one night of a long weekend and it was available. The rooms are modernly finished with laminate floors even into the bathroom. There is some carpeting too and it looks new. The color scheme is very restful on the eyes. The bed is comfortable with a lovely duvet and lots of pillows. The thing I really liked? It was Very Clean!!! And the bed was comfortable!! I love the bathroom with granite looking (maybe real or Corian) counters and shower only, the length of where the tub used to be. Excellent quality for your money.
Walls are a bit thin as I could hear the TV in the next room for a little while in the morning, but all was quiet during the night. It's nice that it is not close to the highway either. Low traffice noise.

Room Tip: Do bring your own soap and shampoo - very small amounts were supplied
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
vedderriver, Guest Relations Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, we are always happy to replenish your supplies upon request. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Chilliwack .
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed at the Vedder River Inn in August 2012. The reason we chose this hotel was the reviews on TA and the location as we were headed to the Cultus Lake Waterslides for the day.

The reviews are accurate about this hotel.
The staff were really awesome and very helpful. They gave directions and had maps ready at the drop of a hat. Awesome.

The room that we stayed in was #10. This was good as it was well off the road and we wanted quiet.
The beds are WAY too small. It is like a super single...it's not even double I don't think.
The room was clean but could use a carpet cleaning....hence wear your slippers. Lots of stains etc.
The toiletries that are provided are just a basic shampoo and tiny little bar of soap. I'm really glad that I had conditioner and hand lotion.
It would appear that the hotel houses monthly guests as well. It looked like there were a lot of worker guys chatting and stuff but is not an issue.
There is a an ice machine and washer/dryer if required.
I guess my major thing about this hotel would be the lack of breakfast offering.
The price is the same as many of the major hotels that offer breaky.
Apparently they do this on weekends but we were mid week.
Even bagels/toast/cereal and juice/coffee would have been sufficient and very much appreciated.
It could easily be set up in the lobby and run daily.
I would recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
vedderriver, Guest Relations Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for your trip advisor submission. We appreciate your feedback and will take your comments into consideration . We will be doing maintenance in the fall and will put this room on our list. We unfortunately got a substitution on our regular shampoo and will make sure not to get that brand again. We will be looking into breakfast during the mid week as is feasible and can often accommodate requests if it is not being served. Our beds are as long as a queen but four inches short of being a queen in the room you mentioned. We hope to see you again and if you let us know any special requests we will try and put you in the best room possible. We hope you enjoyed Cultus Lake.
vancouver
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived 30 minutes after check-in time. The carpet in the room was dirty. We asked for a cab and it wasn't ordered (twice). The people in the room next to us were talking at 1am and we could hear it all.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zartara
VedderRiverInnBC, General Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2015
All of us at the Vedder River Inn are so happy you found us. :)

We are also happy had a wonderful sleep.

We hope the rest of you trip is a safe one and we hope to see you soon.

Take care.
Vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The Vedder River Inn is basically the only hotel in this area of Chilliwack. I stayed here for 1 night and was surprised at how nice the room actually was. However it is basically a fishing lodge as I think many tour groups stay there and there were many people sitting out above the parking lot at 11pm at night. Fine for me, but maybe not for families. Plus the location is directly across the street from the Jolly Miller pub. Once again, perfect for some, and not at all for others.

Not much more to say, if you need to stay on the sardis side of town, it is a safe bet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank wrldtvler
SamJ_VRI, Manager at Vedder River Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2016
Thank you for the review - we generally have a policy for zero noise by 11 pm - sometimes people are just too happy to be there
We look forward to seeing you again soon