“Very Friendly Staff”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Duncan
Vancouver, Canada
“Very Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The motel is very inexpensive compared with other pet-friendly hotels in the area. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The ground-floor room had plenty of towels and even had its own fridge and microwave. There were also plenty of restaurants within a 2-minute walk of the motel. The air conditioner, although quite old, worked well. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the cleanliness of the floor and the blankets on the bed.... After walking on the laminate floor from the bed to the bathroom only a couple of times, the bottoms of my feet were black with filth. And, even though the sheets were clean, the fleece blanket between the bedspread and the sheets had lots of black human hair all over it. The bedspreads were old and dirty (smelled like smoke even though it was a non-smoking room). All in all, the room was worth the price.

Room Tip: There are two floors; if you have luggage the first floor is a better option - there's no elevat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thunderbird M, Owner at Thunderbird Motor Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We took positive action the minute we read it.

We inquired at the commercial janitorial warehouse; apparently this is a very common and frustrating problem due to the in-grained texture of laminate; we were assured we were using the correct products (safe for pets) and the correct procedures. Our staff scrub, vacuum and mop the floors extensively but the two dedicated pet-friendly room floors will need the old-fashioned hands and knee scrub-down more frequently.

We will continue to provide two dedicated pet-friendly rooms for our guests that choose to travel with their four-legged family members.

As for the bed covers, we have addressed this with our newest staff members.

Had you discussed your dissatisfaction at the time, we would have resolved any issues to your complete satisfaction.

We appreciate your many other positive comments about your stay.

Sincerely, Thunderbird Motor Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for one night. Owners were very welcoming and recommended places to eat and see. The on site diner was good for breakfast. The bed was comfortable and room was quiet. Room was clean. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights. While I was there, there was no vacancy due to kids attending a local weekend tournament. Even so, I had a very quiet sleep both nights. When I arrived, I received a very enthusiastic welcome and a thorough explanation of the area attractions. There's an on-site restaurant (which I didn't try) and several eating choices nearby. This is an older facility and my room came with a mw, fridge and 2 burner stove top. The free wifi was fast enough to stream YouTube but would drop out quite often. One negative was the fridge had a 3/4 " buildup of ice in the freezer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Thunderbird is an unassuming motel in Duncan BC - what it lacks in frills it more than makes up in service - from the check in to the departure, the owners were welcoming, accommodating and helpful. The rooms are small but meticulously clean and comfortable. Centrally located with easy access back to the highway, but very little noise from it.
The restaurant nearby is wonderful as well - reasonable prices, great service & good food - what more could you ask

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The owners of this motel are doing it right. Clean, comfortable, extremely affordable and obviously a labour of love for Maureen and Martin. You two could teach some of the big chains a thing or two about service. York Street Restaurant also highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank WendyLea
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here for just a single night but I was very happy with my room. Quiet, very clean and up to date (not really that common for Motor Inns), and I loved that the owners took the time to make the rooms look warm and welcoming. I was very happy with my stay. The owners both checked me in and were extremely friendly and accommodating. I chatted with them for the longest time and loved how genuine they both were. I love nice hotels and I travel a lot for work. I will take the Thunderbird Motor Inn over any of the other hotels in the area and I look forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hazmaster
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I booked this motel for one night and found the service to be excellent. The woman who took my reservation over the phone was so friendly and helpful, accomodating my request for a room with laminate flooring, as well as an early check-in. The room was spotlessly clean and had a nice little kitchenette. It was good value and we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor next to a restaurant. While not really noisy, I think, if we retur...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncan
Best Western Cowichan Valley Inn
Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Super 8 Duncan
Super 8 Duncan
#5 of 5 in Duncan

Been to Thunderbird Motor Inn? Share your experiences!