“basic and disappointing”

Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This hotel is trying to pretend it's something it's not. It's not a spa. It's basically a hotel with a few warm pools.

We sadly were allocated a room in the old part of the hotel overlooking the pool area and I was glad we were only staying one night. There was no air con and no safe. We also had no dressing gowns in our room for the 'spa' and despite ringing reception and asking for them on multiple occasions they were only finally delivered the next morning when we were about to check out!

Basically it's an OK hotel, but I was glad we'd paid a cheap price and were only staying 1 night. Would I go back? Definitely not. Would I recommend it? No, surely there must be better places to stay for the same money.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view in the new part of the hotel
7  Thank le_benois
Write a ReviewReviews (3,685)

Reviewed 18 September 2011

Hotels built on springs are usually some of the oldest, because they were the first to be built. In Europe, you expect Victorian architecture, high ceilings, afternoon tea and lots of elderly people taking the waters. At Harrison Hot Springs, you get the architecture and you get the tea but you also get to share the hotel with hundreds of delegates on a corporate have-it-away day. For the independent traveller, staying at a hotel that is so obviously designed to attract corporate bookings has pluses and minuses. The pluses are that, during the day, you have almost exclusive use of the facilities while the rest of the guests are in meetings. The minuses are that, when they are not locked up, you will be swept away by a herd of bison heading for the best pool.

"Don't worry. We are a bit noisy but we will be gone tomorrow", said one delegate. Fine for them, but not so good for you. There are three pools. One cool one for the children, one that is 105F and too hot to sit in for more than 10 minutes and an 'adult' pool at 100F which you can forget after 5pm because it will be crammed with delegates from the Bank of Somewhere trying to decide who to cop off with that evening.

Not that the hotel staff likes corporate delegates. They stole the big stuffed bear dressed as a Mounty. They took the big wooden native Canadian that greets you while you are the queue to get your meal vouchers. They behave badly and, if you have a room that looks on to the adult pool, very loudly.

We went to the Harrison Hot springs on a 'Get Away' package. This included dinner and dancing in the Copper Room (named after the Copper phase of the Bronze Age when the band learned to play) on a night of our choice [sic]. Because the Copper Room was booked up for a corporate gig, we could have any night we liked as long as it was Friday. Also, despite booking our dinner as soon as we arrived and over 24 hours in advance, the earliest we could eat was 8:30, just in time to see the band leaving the stage after their first set.

My advice is to book dinner when you book the hotel. This also goes for any spa treatments which seem to be all booked up before you arrive by people who know the foibles of the hotel better than you do. When you check in you will get your meal vouchers and sign the obligatory undertaking to be in bed (or at least reading quietly) by 11pm.

Our biggest problem, though, was the cleanliness. The first room we were given was small and the floor sloped down to one wall, but we drew the line at the line of gray dust that ran round the outside of the carpet (see pictures). The next room we were given was larger and cleaner but as we saw more of the hotel, it became apparent that the whole place needs a deep clean. One unusual feature is the number of fire sprinklers. There were four in our room alone. There must be hundreds of them in the hotel. All with an inch of gray dust on the top. Sit down for breakfast and your hands will stick to the chair handles. Not the top, but underneath, the bit you don't clean if you are in a rush. We didn't try to guess what the smell was in the corridor leading to the West Wing.

Enough of the negatives. You get free WiFi and Holy Moley! With an 8ms ping, 8.47Mbps down and 9.11Mbps up, you could host a Web server in your sloping, dusty room. If only they could wean themselves off the corporate geld for a couple of days and clean the place properly - and make a better effort for those of us who are not staying at somebody else's expense.

Room Tip: If you don't immediately like your room, don't unpack - ask to see another one.
5  Thank Derek W
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed for one night in August. when we booked we asked for a lake view room & were assured that we would have one. On arrival we allocated a "herb garden view" room. My ar@e!!! 2nd floor a dated room window that would not open & a rear view of the roof. I returned to the reception to complain, were told that the lake view rooms were all allocated, the hotel was full & there was no room change available. On check out they wanted to charge me CAD$5.00 for parking. No mention of that when I booked or checked in, so they waived it. Would not stay here again & was glad that I was only there for 1 night, Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Spa is not that great either.

Room Tip: Do not be fooled into having a "herb view"
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank arthururm
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My hubby surprised me with a Romantic Package for 2 at the resort. First impression is good as you drive in and even when coming in to the lobby. The staff at the reception were friendly but did not seem to know much about the walking trails in the area and had not map to offer. Even at the guest service desk, the lady did not seem to know much and beside a tiny page from a magazine showing some trails, there were no map of trails around the resort. I was disappointed, as I wanted to walk in the forest but did not know which trails to pick, how long they were and where were they leading too. This is supposed to be a resort that focus on nature and the outdoor.

The Room: We were on the 7th floor and were complimentary upgraded (so I think but they charged us $50 more on our bill...so maybe it was not complimentary upgrade) to Lake View Room. What a disappointment. For that kind of money, I expected a WOW factor. It was more a ''OMG'' factor, but not in the good way. I stayed at many places around the world and never expect more than what I pay. This just doesn't cut it. Everything is old in the room and not well kept. The ceiling is very low at just about 6.5 feet high and the sprinkler is just hanging with hole in the ceiling. There are many cracks and hole in the wall and lots of bugs (tiny mosquitoes) some flying around, many dead in the curtain and bathroom floor. The only WOW factor was the walk-in huge shower but with only a basic shower head...nonetheless it was great to use. The soap, shampoo and lotion are really good and smell great. We were there for 2 days and it did not appear that the cleaning lady did much beside throwing the blanket on the bed and put new towels. Garbage were still at the same spot and carpet very dirty. No refill on shampoo, lotion or soap.
The Pool: The pool areas are beautiful and I can see that people picking this hotel because of this feature. However, I don't know if it was the time of the year, and I mean no offense to older folks, but I felt like I was in a geriatric ward. So many old people walking around and not many young people at all.

The Food: Buffet breakfast was included and very very very good. Really good. The staff in the Lakeside Cafe (breakfast area) were awesome. This was a true positive of this resort. A bit pricey if you have to pay on your own, but delicious. At supper time we went to Copper Room where a Band (The Jones Brother) entertain the crowd. There is a dancing floor and I truly liked the ambiance, seeing people dancing (some of those people really can move!). Given that we don't do that type of dining, it was very different than just sitting in a restaurant, so we truly enjoyed ourselves and my hubby finally asked me to dance - which had not happened in over 20 years! I really liked the Copper Room and would return with my mom and dad as I think they would relate to the type of dining and dancing. If your room package includes the supper at Copper Room it is a 3-services Table d'hôte and the value of it can go toward the regular menu if you don't care for the table d'hôte menu. We stayed with the table d'hote menu and were very happy with the food ( I had steak - delicious and my hubby pork loin delicious too).
The Massage: We had a couple massage (me and hubby in same room) and both massage person were awesome. I can't recall their names, but they sure knew how to provide a deep tissue massage and it was great.
Overall, we like it but the hotel really need to review the room. I think people pick this place for its grandeur, history (Clark Gable planted a tree there) and amenities, but nowadays, people expect a lot more from their room. They need major upgrade.
Unfortunately, on our way out, we found that we got a ticket in our car window. The staff incorrectly took the licence plate number and because of this, we got a ticket. We had to go back to the hotel and waited for about 30 minutes for the manager to clear this mistake and ensure that we did not have to pay.
Finally, the package we took was a certain price at the time my hubby booked it. When we checked in, we were charged $50 more and did not notice until we left and looked at the bill in the car. I don't know why we got charged $50 more. So now my hubby will have to call the hotel to review on this. It is just another little hassle that quite frankly you don't expect when shelling almost $1,000 after 2 nights.
At this point, while the food was great and pools are awesome, I would not return again, unless they drastically change the room decor and try to cater to a younger clientele.

Room Tip: Don't expect much from the room decor - they are old
3  Thank Pounette166
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Beautiful location, nice pools, the lake and lakefront were nice and clean, breakfast was marvelous. Our only complaint was the room service at night, we ordered two gourmet pizza's (nothing gourmet about them) macaroni and cheese (arrived cold and tasting like flour) a salmon burger with cilantro and wasabi dressing (the salmon was overcooked, no wasabi dressing and the cilantro came with the leaves intact - not appealing). I contacted the manager many times and he forwarded me to a survey on the hotel which i tried to fill out two or three times and it wouldn't go through, I contacted the manager again to let him know and I haven't heard back, which is a bit frustrating and makes us feel as though he doesn't care.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank anm76
HotPools, Manager at Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Sorry to hear you experienced inadequate room service. We have forwarded your comment to the Director of Food and Beverage at the resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Good value, great setting, Great pools. End of season so limited casual dinning availablility. Some staff shortage e.g. pool bar didn't open until 2:30 PM.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2011

When you hear the word "resort", at least you expect something like a... Resort! Well, this one should change its name to "hotel that has a spa". But of course they charge you like a resort.

The hot water is great, the setting is awesome, but when you pay almost $300 per night you go expecting something like a... Resort. Anyway, maybe it's me being spoiled by all the real resorts.

We have a 1-year-old and there wasn't anything related to the hot waters suitable for his age; yes, it's our fault, we should have researched more before going there. There's actually a indoor pool, but kids are not allowed. (I wrote it to the hotel and they told me I got the signs wrongly).

I would recommend a day at Harrison Lake and its surroundings. It's so beautiful!!! The small town is very friendly and people love their tourists there. But definitely for that price tag, this hotel is not worth.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Gleydin
HotPools, Manager at Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Resorts come in all shapes, sizes and experiences. The majority of our customers are very happy with their stay at our resort. We regret that you misunderstood the pool signage. The indoor pools are always open to children so long as they are accompanied by an adult. There is only one adult-only pool, wherein the spring waters are heated to a a very high temperature. This pool is outdoors. Harrison Hot Springs Resort offers everyone an opportunity to enjoy the hot springs and the surrounding area, which is why we have a large range of rooms available. This allows us to offer different pricing options for those who may not be able to afford more luxurious rooms. Next time you plan to visit us, give us a call so that we can inform you of any specials we may have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison Hot Springs
#3 of 8 in Harrison Hot Springs
Rowena's Inn on the River
Rowena's Inn on the River
#1 of 3 in Harrison Mills

Been to Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!