“Dirty and Smelly Rooms. Unhelpful Staff and Management.”

Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Dirty and Smelly Rooms. Unhelpful Staff and Management.”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is my first time reviewing a hotel on Trip Advisor. I felt compelled to write about our stay at the BW Kamloops due to some issues I feel others should be aware of. My fiancé and I were travelling through Kamloops on our way to Whistler. We had stayed at the BW Plus Kelowna in 2013 and thought it was a wonderful hotel so we decided to book the BW Kamloops with the hopes of the same experience. The price was very high ($200.00 a night) and I hate to say it but a lot of the time price drives the quality of a hotel. We booked two nights (Thursday, July 31st and Monday, Aug. 4th) with no hesitation. The check-in on both nights was easy and the front desk staff very friendly. There are great local amenities (groceries, restaurants, pharmacies, fuel) within walking distance and free parking and Wi-Fi! The gym equipment was good and my fiancé liked using the hot tub. They offer free breakfast and it's ok. Canned fruit salad, pancakes out of a bag (yes, a bag) and stale pastries. We weren't expecting much. It's a lot different from the BW Kelowna though.

All was great except the rooms, lobby bathroom and fitness room. They were all so dirty!

I'll start with the rooms. We booked the least expensive room (2 double beds) for both nights. I don't remember our room numbers. On the first night there was a terrible smell coming from the bathroom. It was like the entire room was wiped down with a dirty and mildewy cloth. It was so much worse when the shower was on. The shower curtain smelled so bad! Every time I touched it, my hands would smell. All of my toiletries that I left on the vanity smelled too. I called the front desk and told them. I asked that for our next stay that it be changed. They agreed to do so and offered apologies.

The second night was so much worse! The moment we walked into the room all we could smell was mildew. There was dust everywhere. The lamps, desk, tables and TV were filthy. We opened the window and turned on the fan hoping that would fix it and went out to eat. When we got back nothing had changed. We tried wiping the surfaces down with a clean, soapy cloth and that didn't work. Finally at about 8:30 pm we called the front desk asking for help. They offered to bring us air freshener but nothing else. We were never offered a new room nor did they offer to send housekeeping to us. We sprayed the room and we had a hard time breathing. The complimentary toiletries were opened and partly used. Gross.

The next morning it was so much worse. I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. I explained the situation and previous issue and she offered to send up the head of housekeeping. Two ladies showed up and basically called us liars saying all they could smell was perfume. I said that was me trying to mask the smell. I told them we were using the air freshener the front desk gave us. They said no wonder you can't breathe. This freshener is not meant for this kind of use. I asked how often they use clean cloths and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. I asked if the shower curtain was changed and they said every two days but that seemed hard to believe. They finally did say that there was a smell and said they would tell the front desk.

The lobby bathroom was very dirty. The toilets were "destroyed" and covered in human waste. There was paper and hair all over the floor and vanity.

The gym was clean on Thursday and it was stocked with towels but by Monday, the floor was covered in dust bunnies and there were no towels.

When we were checking out the hotel manager was at the front desk and I asked if housekeeping spoke to him. He said no. I told him about our experience and he did apologize but didn't offer anything to us. He did say the next time we were going to stay in Kamloops to give him a call and tried to give me his business card. I declined and told him we wouldn't stay with them again.

We travel to Whistler from Edmonton every summer and always stay in Kamloops on the way. Next time we will stay at the Hotel 540 in downtown Kamloops. We've been there before and the rooms are clean, the neighborhood is fun, the hotel and local amenities are above average and they offer free cook to order breakfast (room service included). Check them out!

Green Features: They don't have any that I could see. There were bottle recycling in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melenie R
TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
After their first night stay, the housekeeper checked the room and could not find any odor or problem in the room. We checked their room prior to arrival because of their earlier noted concern and room was ok and no smell was noted. When she called down the next morning, we tried to send our housekeeper up right away to see if we could also find the smell. By the time she got there, the guest had sprayed perfume in the bathroom and we could not find any other smell. After they departed, we could still not find any odor in the room. She did speak to me about the smell as I was checking out her fiancé and I tried to extend a discount for their next stay, but she just stated she was going to put something on Tripadvisor and would never stay here again!

A few comments:
Pancakes – yes we take a great premixed pancake mix (bag), add water and make fresh pancakes each day. The bag is for health and tampering concerns and for the machine to be able to produce consistent pancakes each time.

We do not used perfumed cleaning products as many guests have allergies. Any smell in our room is just the room, no masking!

We strive to satisfy all our guests and their concerns. It is hard to respond to comments like this when we can’t find the problem or have any other complaints of this nature from other guests who stayed the same night or in the same room before and after them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great hotel. Rooms are large and nicely decorated. The staff went over and above to ensure we were comfortable. They were also very helpful and their knowledge of the area was impressive. The hotel is in a great location, easy to find and clean! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are always striving to provide superior customer care to all our guests. Comments like yours shows we are on the right track and will be shared with the team.
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My first stay at the Kamloops' Best Western Plus was a delight. The property is on a main road just off the highway in a nice area and is easy to find. Good looking exterior and ample parking. The lobby is nice and, more importantly, the staff is friendly. My room was a single King (non-smoking) on the fourth floor. In the evening I had a great view of the valley below. The room was large enough that you didn't feel crowded with the bed and furnishings. All the horizontal surfaces were stone....very nice. Large TV with plenty of cable channels. And the room was quiet for a long, easy sleep.
The price was a little high but the hotel has good reviews so I took the reservation. Glad that I did. That's where I will stay next time. Check it out.

Room Tip: Look for a room on the back side of the hotel for a good view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil S
TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about your visit to our property. We are always striving to meet and exceed our guests expectations and we are glad we were able to meet yours. Many guests comment on the little things in our rooms that make the difference. Granite topped furniture, large HDTV, spacious, etc.
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Would stay here again and again. Always nice rooms and great breakfast. Friendly staff and lots of parking. Close to many stores and right on the highway. We have stayed here now a few times and know what to expect, elavator for those who cannot climb stairs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your review. Our summer has been busy with many guests commenting on our service and cleanliness again, things our staff love to hear!!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were in a 2 queen handicap suite, we had tons of space! Beds were comfortable and I love having all the pillows. Great wifi connection. Large indoor pool and large hot tub. Love that the pool opens at 6 AM, most don't open that early. I loved having the pool all to myself early in the morning. Wonderful full breakfast included. Only issue with breakfast was they only had one staff working it on a very busy Sunday morning, she was having a hard time keeping up with the demand. She did very well considering.
Great view of the city from the hotel.
Front desk staff upon arrival was not very friendly, as seen in other reviews it was as tho we were inconveniencing them when we'd ask questions. The check out staff was much better.

Room Tip: Handicap room at the end of the building excellant location for quietness, as it's away from the...
Green Features: No recycling bin offered in the rooms. Plastic cutlery used in the breakfast room. Doesn't seem to be as environmentally-friendly as they could be.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry our staff were not very friendly and will be providing this review to them for their perusal. We strive to provide superior customer service to all our guests.

We do have a recycle bin in all out guests rooms (green bins). Our cutlery and plates in our breakfast room are a biodegradable product that saves us having to use harsh chemicals to clean cutlery, etc.
Vancouver
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a great hotel and the food is included in the hotel price which is great for families. The Pool is insider the hotel and my kids loved it. The TVs were large with great channels. The location is very central by car and there is plenty of parking that is also included in the hotel price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

TimRodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are always pleased to hear when our guests enjoy our facilities during their stay. We did upgrade this year to 42 inch TV with HD and individual room wifi. Very popular with our regulars and traveling families.
vancouver island
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed for one night at this hotel while enroute from Edmonton to Vancouver Island. We had just come through a major rain and thunderstorm so it was a relief to get there. We had a really nice room with a fridge and microwave and it was very quiet. The bathrooms had heated floors which was really nice.....

The pool area was nice, we enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

The continental breakfast was great, lots of choices to fill you up!!!

I think the only downside I would say is that the front desk staff weren't very outgoing and not super friendly, both at check in and at check out. We always felt like we were inconveniencing them when we would ask them questions. We had just spent 5 nights at a Hampton Inn which had coffee/tea/hot chocolate, etc, available in the lobby 24/7 which was a big perk for my daughter and I and although there was coffee in your here room, I wanted to save the one pouch for the early morning. We asked at the front desk if we could get a hot chocolate packet from the breakfast room and they did get one for my daughter which was nice, but it wasn't done with alot of enthusiasm.......

We went for dinner at the Chapters view restaurant a couple buildings away and had a great dinner there.

We would definitely stay there again if going through!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry my staff were not more accommodating. We strive to provide superior customer care to all our guests. I will be providing them this review for their perusal to improve.