“OK but dissapointing”

Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Lewes, United Kingdom
“OK but dissapointing”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Upon arriving in the car park a plaque greeted us stating that HIEX is not responsible for cars being burgled in the car park! OK, I thought, thanks for the tip but now I don't feel safe!

The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was in good order. However most of the television channels turned out to be pay to view. Don't know a bout Canada but in England there are hundreds of free view channels.

The in house meaness extended into the breakfast area with muffins being cut in half... Whats that all about?

The pool was a bit cool but once in it was lovely, just surprised it was free! On the whole I'd only stay here again if nothing else was available. I thought Kamloops was dissapointing too.

Tip: Remove everything from your car and take it to your room and park your car where you can see it. Bring a portable DVD player as the in house entertainment literally sucks and don't forget to bring your own muffins for breakfast, they can't afford them!

The traffic noise from the motorway may keep some people awake at night.

Room Tip: Remove all belongings from your car, take a portable DVD player the TV entertainment sucks and don...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel. I would like to take the time to apologize for the the inconviences you seemed to have encountered during your stay. The signage you referred to in regards to vehicle safety, is a hotel standard in Kamloops and is there for the protection of the guest. We also offer 80 television channels for our guest enjoyment. In regards to the muffins, given the large size of the muffins we cut them in half to give our guest a variety to choose from. We do appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. Emily Chenier Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

when we booked in, we were given the log in code for internet. My wife quickly logged on on her I-phone but I couldn't log on on our laptop. I had to go down to the desk to find that I had to look for a search engine that would take me to Holiday Inn that would allow me to log in. Looking for the network and logging on wouldn't work. We then tried to turn on the TV and just got no signal. We called the desk and were told we had to turn on the box. The clerk had to come to our room to discover that the box we were suppose to turn on was in the cupboard with the refrigerator, at the back, out of sight. It was pretty clear that I wasn't very smart as I couldn't figure these things on my own. We travel a lot and this is the first time we've had to go through these hoops to get internet and TV. Clearly, they are saving money on electricity by turning off the cable boxes but don't tell the customers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel. I would like to take the time to apologize for the technical issues that seemed to have occurred during your stay with us. However, we do appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Spruce GRove
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on our way through Kamloops. We arrived around 8 and the kids spent a good hour in the pool. The pool is large and there is a hottub. The rooms are just average but we liked having a mini fridge in the rooms. My husband and I both used the 'fitness centre' in the morning. This hardly is a well equipped fitness centre as it really only has three cardio pieces. We made due.
The breakfast was great. Cereal, oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, pancakes, pastries, sausages. Was quite impressed with it.
We had one more swim and were on our way. I think it is the perfect place to stop especially for the price. We feel we got our moneys worth!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel. I am happy to hear all the positive feedback from your stay with us and glad you enjoyed our breakfast bar.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Shawnigan Lake, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed for a weekend due to a Lacrosse tournament. Hotel placed two teams of boys on same floor - which takes organizing and thought. Shows good service as I have stayed at other tournaments where hotels had team on all different floors. I am sure it helps other people staying hotel as well keeps team noise to one area. I missed the cut off date of group rate but the Express still gave me team rate. Good customer service. House keeping was accommodating as they were ready to clean our room but we had not left for game yet so they happily came back when we were out. Quality/ Newer/ clean beds and sheets. Up to date decor. Free breakfast had plenty of options and breakfast staff kept it full- there was 2 people attending to it that I saw. Team and parents were prepared for their day! I personally appreciated the fresh fruit and boiled eggs as I am a celiac and cow dairy allergic as well - so thank you for the options I do not always have at other hotels.The hotel is off the main highway so I was worried about highway noise. Not once did we hear the traffic. Will stay here in a heartbeat next time we are in Kamloops, and would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Luckybeerlady,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel. I am happy to hear all the positive feedback from your stay with us and glad you enjoyed our breakfast bar and happy our variety accommodated your specific needs.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had a great rest here, rooms are large, with good views and beds are comfortable. Facilities are fine too, with pool and gym. Location is pretty central. Breakfast is decent, and will be what you expect from holiday inns. I do find it a little pricey though, but it could be due to events in the area, so do check up on these if staying here because Kamloops is a city with many events happenings at all times.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Darren3232,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the kind words regarding your room and the comfort of the beds. We really appreciate the feedback and I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I’d like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Kamloops and we hope we’ll get the chance see you again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed as a family of 4 for one night on our way to Vancouver. We found it to be a very good stay overall. The front desk clerk was very kick and efficient and check in only too a few minutes. Our room was VERY clean and the hotel looks very up to date in both the rooms and lobby. Pool and hot tub were great for the kids although not overlarge. Free breakfast was standard hotel option with a fun addition of make your own pancakes instead of waffles. Breakfast was constantly being refilled as the crowds came through. A good value and convenient to many restraints for dinner. Only downside I wish there had been a microwave as well as a fridge in the room as that is something I usually look for when travelling with my kids.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Jennifer S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the kind words regarding your room, our staff, and location. We really appreciate the feedback and I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that we currently do not have microwaves in guest rooms, however, we do have one in our breakfast bar area which is available to all guests at any time.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Kamloops and we hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,

sunnypoint5
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Our family rented 2 rooms over the weekend. The first one was a pet room, the smell of cleaning chemical was terrible. The second room had no hot water in the shower. The first morning we thought we could let it go as the hotel was really busy, the second morning it was cold again but had to be to our children's events by 7:15am, no time to let the front desk know until we got back. When we went and told the front desk...she was pleasant but came and held her hand under the tap and said it was fine. We asked about a discount as we had rented 2 rooms for 3 days, had no hot water in one room and a stinky room. She told us she would make a note and speak to her manager.....as you probably already know, nothing happened. (Or I would not be writing this review) The breakfast was fine and the lady working at the breakfast was awesome, she kept it running very smooth. Not a bad place just disappointed with service from front desk.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager1550, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We really appreciate the feedback but I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us.

Our housekeeping staff does take extra steps when cleaning pet friendly rooms, to ensure that dander, hair and any odors are removed, although I am sorry to hear that in this case there was a strong cleaning scent to your room. I also sincerely apologize for the shower issue you experienced and for the way it was handled. I will be following up with our Front Desk staff to ensure that does not happen again but would also like to invite you to contact myself at the hotel, so that we can further discuss what happened and to help make things right.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope we will get the chance to welcome you back in the future.