“A little removed from town”

Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was just there for the night and found it comfortable, if somewhat isolated from entertainment/dining options. As a result, your dining choices are limited to the hotel's ORA restaurant. The food's OK, but a dining choice would have been nice. Of course, when there's little or no competition, the prices get a little steep too. We had some difficulty on a couple of occasions tracking down wait staff to seat and/or serve us.
My room was passably clean and was comfortable and the hotel's atrium rather a nice touch. One wing of the hotel is undergoing renovation but that doesn't appear to be affecting operations. Free wireless internet is a plus, but their "business centre" was less than adequate. The conference centre downstairs is a bit of a rabbit warren. Don't know what they were thinking there, when they laid that out.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your January stay with us. I have passed along your comments with regard to seating and service delays to Ora’s Restaurant Manager to rectify. My apologies for any waits you endured. With regard to dining options we are within walking distance of a few options other than Ora, such as Ric’s Grill, Tim Horton’s, On the Rocks Pub and Five Guys Burgers & Fries. If you had the option of a longer walk or a 2 minute drive there are also others such as East Side Mario's & Milestones. The menus for Ora Restaurant Lounge are currently being redeveloped and will be available on their website if you want to check back sometime in February to see their latest fare. I cannot put the link in due to TripAdvisor guidelines, but if you Google Ora Restaurant Kamloops Menus, it should come up.

My apologies if you were disappointed with our temporary business centre. We recently reopened our new lobby in December after an extensive renovation and are awaiting our designer’s final plans on the business centre area to take it to completion. The complimentary wireless is also another of the recent improvements to the hotel, so I am happy to hear it was a positive addition for your stay with us

Reviewed 10 November 2011

My husband and I are very quiet people. When we arrived at the hotel, my husband noticed a dent in the wall of the hotel room. Not thinking nothing of it, as we assumed it would have been reported by the chambermaid staff when they had cleaned after the previous guests. To our shock, when we received our next visa statement we noticed an extra $250+ charged from the hotel (over and above the stay). They had not contacted us. We contacted them and they said they were charging us for the damage they had found in the room. WE DID NOT DO THE DAMAGE! They would not believe us and refused to take the charges off. We don't know if it was the previous guests or the cleaning staff, but it was not us! This has never happened to us in any other hotel. I would never stay again! I would not recommend this place to anyone! The room was clean besides the damage, but the beds were not comfortable as well. We stayed in 2010

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Heather P
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

This review does not belong to the Coast Kamloops property. It is from the Best Western Plus, but somehow ended up on our page. I advised Tripadvisor, but all they did was remove the response from the GM of the Best Western Plus. Every time I report it to Tripadvisor they do not help in removing it. I don't know what to do about it other that to leave this explanation here. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Ok, so the rooms are spacious & clean; somewhat outdated with the florescent lighting in ceiling around the room. The furniture & linens, paint etc. have been updated. however, the gap under the door that let streaming light in from hallway was annoying, so was the voices coming through the ventilation grate above our bed. We asked to update to a city view and was charged an additional $10.00, SO not worth it since the hotel is really out of the city sight line and you look down on top of the Aberdeen Mall & some of Sahali if you stand at the window since there is no where else in the room to look outside from. The courtyard and Ora restaurant was the nicest part of the hotel. The dinner buffet was pretty good with salmon, pork, sushi & every other choice under the sun. Aside from that, we'll stay somewhere else next time & maybe come for the food at Ora.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool & courtyard are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Noelle H
angelatasker, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for sharing your candid opinions Noelle. I am sorry to hear that your stay was disturbed by the space under the door to the hallway and the ventilation system. Thank you for bringing this to our attention for our review. That coupled with your disappointment with the view is very unfortunate. The view can be quite fabulous on the view side, but a lot of that is weather dependent. If the valley is clouded in, as it has been in recent days, then you are correct that the immediate area is the extent of the view. It is disappointing that you do not intend to return to us. However if you do decide to visit us in the future, we would appreciate if you would share any concerns with the front desk, so they can work toward an immediate resolution for a comfortable stay. I am relieved that the room size and cleanliness were satisfactory and that you enjoyed Ora's buffet in our atrium area. We do hope you change your mind in the future and return once our extensive updates are complete. I believe you will be pleased.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Even though the hotel is under a much needed renovation, our stay was quiet and comfortable. We always stay here when we travel to Kamloops. Wifi was up and worked great, no problems.

Room Tip: Ground floor, pool side room is the best for families.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ljkabby

Thank you so much for your return visit to our property. Your repeat business and opinions are immensely appreciated. I am glad to hear you utilized the new Wi-Fi and enjoyed the service quality. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit and hope you enjoy the magnificent changes coming with the completion of our current renovations.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Never stayed at a hotel in Kamloops so had a look at the reviews. This seemed to rank near the top and similar price range to a couple other better than average chain hotels.

I dont get it...aside from the nice courtyard and lounge there really isnt anything above average about this place. The rooms are well below average for this price and look about 30 years old. The room reminded me of the discount 2 storey motel rooms....Tv had like 8 channels...Wifi not available period. Reviews and rating on tripadvisor seems to be quite accurate but this one isnt and Im not sure how people could place this at the top of the list based on quality and the price.

Stay at one of the newer chains being built in the area...they looked new, modern and what you would expect for this price range...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sab30
angelatasker, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2011

Your comments are appreciated. I am sorry if you were disappointed with the current décor, television channel selection and lack of wifi access. These are all things we are currently working to improve. While the property has seen various updates since its establishment back in 1989, we are currently in the process of phase one of three phases, which will see a complete overhaul of the property. As you may or may not have noticed, the second wing of the property, across the atrium, was closed as well as the standard hotel lobby. Both are undergoing the updates right now. The wireless internet has been contracted at this point and we are just awaiting the install. Lodgenet television is also on the way to enhance your viewing selection. I hope you do come back in the spring and request to try our updated rooms for your comfort. We will still offer the nice courtyard and lounge at that time. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed for two nights while attending a meeting at the Kamloops Convention Centre. Upon check-in, I was pleased with the service offered by the front desk. The room was was clean, especially the bathroom, although the grout in the tile floor showed traces of bleached-out mildew stains. The only other quibble was that the pull for one of the black-out curtains was disconnected.
I had one not so nice surprise when I found a large earwig in the shower curtain one morning. Unnerving, but it could have been worse.
One security concern I observed was that when I needed an extra key for my room, all I had to mention was my name and room number -- I was not asked for any proof of identity.
All my meals were included in the package price for the conference, so were supplied through convention catering, and I found both the quantity and quality to be impressive, even considering that everything was served buffet style.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room on the north side of the north wing (better views, not overlooking the parkin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank eowynsword
angelatasker, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts of your recent two night stay with us. We agree that an update to the property is now due. The housekeeping staff does an outstanding job keeping the rooms very clean, but at this point we have elected to give the property a multi-million dollar update replacing everything in the guest rooms. We are currently engaged in a major overhaul of the 105 guest rooms in our south wing. Not only will the grout be replaced, but also the tub and everything else in the rooms including the blackout curtains you mentioned. As you can imagine it is an exciting transition for us. Luckily for us, the property is separated into two separate wings, enabling us to offer approximately 100 guest rooms in the north wing to current guests with full amenities available and little disruption to our guest services.
Your security concern in receiving the extra key without review of your identification will be reviewed with our front office staff immediately. Thank you.
I will pass along your positive opinion of the food services in convention centre to the banquet staff and chef.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to connect with us to offer your insightful experiences.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

Very nice property. Reasonable price, good food (pricey) but the buffet several times a week is excellent. We enjoyed an outdoor BBQ one evening. Restaurant staff in particular were very nice. (Cheaper places to eat close by.) Pool atrium is quite nice with salt water pool although, it was closed for maintenance for part of our stay. Decor in the room was outstanding. We had a two bedroom suite and really enjoyed the layout, portable fireplace, flat screen, etc. Close to highway so I could get to anywhere in town fast. The room was very quiet. The smaller windows don't do justice to the million dollar view just outside. Very happy with our visit and would go back there again.

Room Tip: Room on third floor at corner of atrium on south wing have a great balcony overlooking the pool and...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your positive evaluation of the property. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the many amenities offered within our full service property as well as the suite you reserved. The convenient access to all that Kamloops has to offer is a major plus for us, as is that beautiful view you mentioned. We look forward to your return in the future.