“A nice courtyard”

Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Our room opening up to a lovely indoor large courtyard with running water like a stream and many plants and some sand. Most areas of the hotel were good but a breakfast was not included with the room which many other similar hotels now include. My friend said that the in room coffee was quite good.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed overlooking our tropical atrium during your visit. As mentioned breakfast is not normally included in our room rate, as we are trying to keep the room rates affordable by not incorporating that cost within the room rates. Ora Restaurant offers a wide variety of reasonable breakfast menu options so that each guest can select whichever items best suit their food preferences and budget. Glad to hear the in-room coffee was enjoyable!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We booked two rooms on the May long weekend. One room a king and one wth 2 queens. I called the hotel to inquire about the check in time as we were earlier than expected and was told that they only had the one reservation for the queen beds. They told me that the check in for the king bed was for the day before and since we didn't arrive, they gave the room away. I was furious as the hotel is full and we had already driven 8 hours. I told them no, I booked the rooms for the same day. They said they could get us another room but it would be an extra $60 a night. I said no, I want the same rate that I got when I reswerved it. I get a company discount. The girl told me that it was up to the manager. I took the room and then called central reservations and the lady told me that she had the correct days for both rooms and called the hotel to clarify. She told me that the hotel made an error on the days and will give me the other room at the discounted rate I was quoted and all was good. We got to the hotel and the girl couldn't find our reservation and called central reservations and talked to the same lady we did. We got our rooms and I inquired why I couldn't get my other room at the company discound and they said because the discount rooms were all taken. I don't get it. We were given our rooms in the new remodelled section. The beds are comfortable and the towels are nice and fluffly in the bathroom. Free wifi was an added bonus.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank taylorta2010

Thank you for your thoughts on your stay May long weekend. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rooms and services when in the hotel, but was disappointed to hear your reservations process was not smooth. I am afraid I could not find any record of the issues when I researched, but I have made our front office manager aware of the difficulties you encountered to avoid a reoccurrence. We hope to welcome you back to enjoy the comforts we are so proud to offer.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This was just an overnight stay as we passed through on the Rocky Mountaineer, so much detail is missing! However, the most important thing was - excellent well equipped room and a quiet, very good nights sleep.

The restaurant for dinner was very good, however our perception was that this hotel was quite a way out of town, therefore you had a limited range of restaurants to choose from!

The staff however were very helpful, the fridge in my room was making an awful din and I was not going to use it - but could not switch it off - they sorted it for me instantly.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed the indoor pool - which our room overlooked.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

I hope that your trip to Canada was outstanding. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in our newly renovated rooms. We do have a fair amount of restaurant options within walking distance, but are pleased to hear that Ora Restaurant offered you a very good meal while within the hotel. Our front desk team is always happy to help address any guest concerns, so we thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so. We are delighted that your husband took the time to experience our spectacular atrium and indoor pool. It is a wonderful unique feature of our property, which also includes a hot tub. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

The coast left its downtown location and picked up this hotel, attached to the conference center. Its currently overlooks the city on the hill near shopping malls, commerical areas - with a bunch of other hotels, restaurants and pubs. Overall pretty good. Nice lobby, reception area. The restaurant attached the hotel is alright, had a good burger for dinner. My room was in the newer renovated side, facing the indoor atrium (pool, hot tub, seating area). My guestroom had been recently remodeled - nice beds, tv, fixtures - actually fairly spacious. The workout room needs some updated equipment. Would I stay here again for work? Probably...hey, its Kamloops!

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated wing. At the time of this review, only one side had been completed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the review Billybob101. We are happy to be flying the Coast Hotels flag since November of 2011 and are pleased that you found many shopping and restaurant options nearby. The lobby and newer south wing, which you stayed in, have enjoyed 4 million dollars in upgrades to ensure an extraordinary transformation. We will consider your advice with regard to the fitness equipment when we undertake a renovation of that wing this winter. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property anytime you visit Kamloops.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked a trip to Kamloops on the May long weeked with the Coast Kamloops Hotel and Conference Center. We requested a room with a cot and we were told that it would be no problem. Upon arrival we asked if the cot was already in the room and were told that just because we had been told that a cot would be no problem the Coast Kamloops did not guarantee cots and they didn't have any. The night manager then blamed the issue on a trainee on the morning shift. We were then informed that we could find someplace else to stay and they wouldn't charge us for cancelling the booking, fully knowing that there were no vacancies anywhere else.
On top of all of this, the bathrooms walls are full of mildew, black and pink tinged grouting. The tub is stained and yellowish in color.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Ross, I was very disappointed to hear about the problem that was encountered with your cot request on May long weekend. Our reservation and front desk staff must specifically reserve a cot in our system when the guest requests one at the time of booking the room. If it is not available, they must advise it is not possible. I have investigated and found notes from your room that weekend. The room was booked the same day as your arrival by a new clerk on her second training shift. She booked the room for 2 guests and did not hold a cot, instead just noting it in a memo. At check-in the reservation was changed to 4 guests and the cot shortage was realized. The staff tried to rent a cot from another venue, but found none were available in the city. While these efforts could not correct the situation, they then called your guest room and advised that we would be reducing your guest room rate by $30 per night to try to compensate for a cot being unavailable. The guest in your room very kindly advised that the discount was helpful in resolving the frustration. We are very sorry for the human error that occurred and have emphasized the importance of this in our early training procedures. Having found your booking I will follow up with our housekeeping staff to see if they can address the grout and tub issues you uncovered, prior to renovating the room completely this winter. I hope we can see you again in the future to improve on this experience.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

As guests on the 'Rocky Mountainer' train (2 days) Gold Leaf we were booked into this hotel by the rail company. We had no idea where we were staying prior to reaching Kamloops, and, on researching Kamloops on Google street view we assumed this town was a one horse town in the middle of nowhere,how wrong could we be as we pulled into this vibrant backwater of some 15,000 inhabitants. This hotel was most unexpected, staff very friendly, could not do enough for us. Large oom had two large beds with pillows that we describe as 'bliss'. Most rooms seem to have a verandah which faces onto an internal area where the pool, sauna and spa pool are located (if in the UK one might say this was a bit 'dated') If being hyper critical one could ask why there is only the one changing room (for both sexes) where someone staying there can access with their room card and catch some unaware visitor in an embarrassing situation (Iocked myself in the one toilet to change/dry once the situation was assessed). Room had all mod cons, temperature controlled air cond, satellite tv, fridge, kettle, etc. Fantastic place for Canada, well done Coast Hotels and would love to come again (despite other older reviews! hotel probably has had its upgrade since then and we were eating on the 'Rocky Mountainer' train, breakfast and a very heavy lunch)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

I hope you enjoyed your entire Canadian vacation. We were happy to be noted as a pleasant surprise on your overnight stay in Kamloops. We are pleased that you enjoyed the blissful pillows and the recreational facilities. The change room you mentioned is more of an entranceway to the sauna area that we keep locked off to ensure exclusive guest access to the sauna. I am glad you found the washroom in there as an alternative to changing within your guest room. We appreciate that you enjoyed our recent renovations and all the conveniences that were offered within your room. Please do come again!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My TA booked me in the Coast and no one told her they moved out of town. Nice hotel but it's a 14$ cab ride to town. If you don't have a car don't stay here. I feel they should be a bit more honest.

Stayed: April 2012
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your agent did not give you the correct information about our property’s location in Kamloops. The mix up is likely based on the following: We were an independent hotel until November of 2011, at which time we joined the Coast Hotels & Resorts family and named the Hotel the Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre. Previous to that Coast Hotels did have another property franchised in downtown Kamloops, which was the Coast Canadian Inn. This property became an independent hotel and was no longer part of the Coast Hotels & Resorts brand as of October of 2011; shortly thereafter it did close completely. Our location is within walking distance of a multitude of business establishments, restaurants, Kamloops largest shopping centre and Cineplex theatres, but we are not directly in the downtown core. Public transit service is available from directly in front of the property. I hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future and enjoy the many amenities offered within the property and our vicinity.