“room 19..not so great!”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Airdrie, alberta,cda
“room 19..not so great!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Reserved a room 2 weeks ahead, to be told tourists from a train trip have booked also, so could not get the room we wanted.
What we did get was on the riverside, but put beside the stairs, which was a very dark small room, and a bed that felt like you were sleeping on bricks.
After spending a couple of nights there, the train tourists did not arrive on the dates we were told, we did however mention this that we were not satisfied with this situation, the hotel staff did not seem to worry about our concern!
The view was beautiful, but will consider other choices when we need to go on another business trip in town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mamarosa49
riverlandinn, Public Relations Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry that your stay was not what you were expecting. We do our best to accommodate guest requests for specific rooms, but it is not always feasible, especially in the summer time. I wish you would have come to talk to our Front Desk staff about the issues with the room when you arrived, we would've done our best to move you to a room that was better suited to your wishes. I apologize on behalf of our staff, and hope you give the Riverland Inn another chance next time you are in Kamloops.
Thanks,
Riverland Inn Staff and Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Looks really cheap on the outside but the rooms are ok the double queen rooms are much better than the double rooms. My only issue is the sink is by the door and in the room and not seperate with the toilet.

The staff are friendly too. It's a decent hotel for one night stay

• Stayed May 2014
riverlandinn, Public Relations Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and was pleased with the staff, we always strive to provide our guests with the best experience and service at our Inn. Thank you again and we hope you choose us next time you are passing through Kamloops.

Regards,
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have stayed at this quaint, river view inn many times over the years. Unfortunately, my recent stay has left a lasting impression, albeit a negative one.

I understand all motels/hotels can have an “off” night; but the recent service, accommodation, construction directly outside the room, a room transfer that was not requested, and lack of breakfast supplies at Riverland Inn & Suites was disappointing to say the least.

I booked my room directly with the front desk 2 weeks ahead of my stay. I specifically requested a room on the ground floor, with a view of the river. I was assigned a specific room (I asked & it was confirmed by the clerk). Upon check in I was given room keys to a second floor room. I thought it odd, but decided to check it out. The door to our assigned room opened directly to the parking lot. Upon walking to the room, noisy construction was being done on the posts directly in front of the room (the worker made a point of telling us he'd be back at 7:30 a.m). The sidewalk was littered with debris, including broken cement, sharp staples and plenty of dust and dirt - and stayed that way, which caused us to walk through it and bring it into the room on our shoes. As I opened the door, I was greeted with the bathroom sink & counter including hair dryer, directly to the right of the door and in the main part of the room. Hence, if you are using this area to brush teeth, blow dry hair, put make up on, etc. and your roommate opens the door from the outside – you can be seen right out in the open, in the parking, lot in your towel (not a pleasant experience). The toilet and shower are squished into a small room which makes it a tight sqeeze to shut the bathroom door and are located behind the main door The view of the river was through a dirty window that could have used a good cleaning. Wow, if this is how they reward repeat customers . . . Since only staying the one night, and the 2 queen beds were fine – clean and fresh, I chose to “suck it up” and put up with the room.

The straw that broke the camels back; when we went down for the complimentary breakfast at 7:45 (open 7 am – 9 am) there was very little left. Breakfast items were all depleted - no orange juice, coffee, or cream. Orange juice, sausages (2 shrivelled left in pan) and the unappetizing, 3 rubbery egg patties left, were never replenished. Creamers were replenished, a few at a time, but quickly ran out several times over. Despite waiting and asking, only the coffee & creamers were ever replenished. There was no yogurt or fresh fruit offered. We couldn’t wait any longer; our business meeting was starting shortly.

Upon check out, the first item on my bill read, “Transfer Room Request Rm # ______ to Rm # ______- $0.” Obviously, someone requested the first room assigned to me; hence they transferred me out and assigned it to them. Hmmmm. That’s fine, but to give a long-time, repeat guest a sub-par room as a result, equals poor customer service. The person travelling with me (their first stay) will not be back, and as for myself, there are plenty of motels/hotels in Kamloops who will appreciate my future business. Unfortunately, Riverland Inn & Suites dropped the ball on this one . . .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CaribooCalling
riverlandinn, Public Relations Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hello,
I am very sorry your stay with our Inn was not satisfactory. I understand that we moved your room that you originally had, as it was a pet-friendly room and we had an emergency guest that required the pet-friendly room. I wish you would have come and spoken to our Front Desk clerk about your concerns, we would have been happy to move you to a different room that was away from the construction. We are reviewing our breakfast menu, and hope to offer a larger, more accommodating food selection in the future. I have messaged you in regards to your stay and hope that you give us a chance to show we have made changes and improvements regarding your concerns.
Thank you for your comments and concerns, I will speak with the Front Desk clerks to be sure this does not happen again.
Thanks,
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a well appointed hotel, located on the Thompson River, a minute off the highway. BBQ's, pools, kitchenettes and an included breakfast are all supplied. The beds are terrific and the rates are excellent. Whether you are staying overnight on your way through or planing a few days in Kamloops, this should be your choice. Next door is an excellent, family owned restaurant, which we also recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the 100 level suites. Inform the hotel if you have a pet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
riverlandladys, Front Office Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We would just like to let you know that your enthusiastic review about our hotel is very much acknowledged and very appreciated! We are so happy you had such a great time!

These kind of comments give us much needed confidence knowing that we are doing a great job.

We hope you & of course your family and friends come back during the summer to enjoy another great stay with good company.

Cheers,

Jenn.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Beautiful rooms with a lake view. Very pleasant breakfast in a dining room looking over the lake. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel does not look like much from the outside, but I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
riverlandladys, Front Office Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review, we really appreciate the feedback especially when you have pointed out that we really aren't that difficult to find. Come back to see us soon!

Kind Regards,

Riverland Inn Staff & Management
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Clean and newly updated hotel. We we're driving late at night and needed a place for a quick stay that was located just off the highway. The prices are reasonable and it was easy to find. Just over the bridge and the first right off the Yellowhead highway. Will stay again for a quick overnight.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashleyplecas
riverlandladys, Front Office Manager at Riverland Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We always enjoy reading positive feedback, & we all agree that we really aren't that out the way from downtown. A short walk along the river or for our late night guests calling a taxi is always an option, just let us know at front desk and we would be more then happy to arrange one for you. We love to read the comments from our guests, therefore we would just like to say Thanks" your positive feedback is always acknowledged and appreciated.

Hope to see you back here soon!

Jenn