“Downtown hotel next to casino”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 540

Hotel 540
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Downtown hotel next to casino”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Comfortable rooms, most renovated. Some of our party had the new bathrooms but others didn't (sink in the room, not the bathroom). Beds comfortable, internet OK, television had quite poor reception for some channels (Global). Front desk staff friendly, restaurant on site has good food and beer. The on site cafe does a great breakfast which is reasonably priced. Slightly dodgy area behind the hotel, but nothing that bothered us. It's close to town so we had many food options and a great Irish bar with a rooftop patio two blocks down. Casino on site is no problem, 7-11 round the corner if you need supplies.

Room Tip: Ask for the new bathrooms which you see in the hotel's website pictures, not all have them.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Dear Ayup,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel. You are correct that we do have a few different room types in the hotel, 2 of them include upgraded bathrooms (Deluxe - Granite, and Club - Marble). Our standard rooms have standard laminate counter tops. We hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards

Bryan Pilbeam / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We booked a stay and play package which was excellent value, it included parking, breakfast for 2 and also 2 $10 vouchers for the casino next door. Great location downtown, really easy to find and central to everything. We stayed in a really nice room on the 5th floor which was huge, the decor was very tasteful and the bathroom was beautiful and very clean. The bed was amazing! Really comfy pillow top mattress with fantastic linen as well. The restaurant Embers was open in the evening that we arrived and had a great atmosphere and service. Cafe 540 was the restaurant that the breakfast vouchers were for and they make the biggest omelets we've ever seen!! If you're passing through Kamloops, this is the best place to stay!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Dear Mell L,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your review ! Our Stay and Play Package is great value...and thus, very popular for our savvy travelers ! I am pleased to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I'll have to tell our Chef that the omelettes are too big !! (just kidding).

Glad you enjoyed ! And look forward to welcoming you back again.

Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Was a bit unsure about the hotel when we first booked through one of those discounters where you learn the hotel name after booking. The hotel was in a pleasant location downtown although it shares its building with a casino (which doesn't give the best first impression). That said, the lobby was attractive and clean, as was the room, with new linens, clean premises, and carpets that looked to be in good condition. Staff throughout were friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant at breakfast was not the best, although it was okay. I ordered a latte, and when I tasted it, found that it was made with condensed milk (which I don't care for). When I asked the server to take it away she offered to deduct it from my bill, and then brought me some regular coffee instead which was good. I appreciated her being pleasant about it.

I would stay there again, although the casino is a bit of a deterrant

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear L_in_Vic,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our friendly team and you found the accomodation to be clean and attractive. I am glad our server was able to look after the latte/coffee item. I had to check on the "condensed milk" comment myself...to clarify - our coffee machine is a Tassimo, and the lattes are made with a "concentrated" milk item - small detail, but she may have been confused in the explanation. Nonetheless, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon !

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hotel 540 saved our disaster long weekend! When our other pre-booked hotel plans fell through, we ended up rolling into Kamloops at 7pm on the Friday for the first time in our lives and had no idea where to go. Checking thru the typical hotel websites, we were shot down by 5 hotels that were all booked up. We tried all the big chains first, trying to find a hotel that we'd heard of or at least recognized and Hotel 540 was honestly last on our list at the time, we'd never heard of it before! At wits end we finally clicked on their link on hotels.com and what a surprise!! It said they had just completed $12 million in renos and looked gorgeous! We called ahead and were advised by Dave that yes, indeed, they had a room!

We fiddled with the GPS and managed to fumble our way down to their location. At the front desk we were warmly greeted by Dave and explained how happy we were to finally find a place to stay instead of backtracking 4hrs back to Vancouver. We had gotten engaged the week before and this was our first time away to relax and enjoy, our first hotel pick outside of town had turned out to be a motor inn instead of the promised resort, so our trip was kind of a bomb to start. Dave managed to upgrade us to a room on the Executive Club floor and hooked us up with a B&B package for an extra $10 a night that included breakfast (real breakfast, not continental!) and parking.

The room was spotless, the bathroom clean and new with granite countertops and great bath products (easily opened with flip-tops on the shampoo, no pulverizing the bottle to get the conditioner out!). The bed was ultra comfortable and the view out across the valley and river was idyllic. The big screen TV also comes with a guide for all the channels.

We made a couple trips out to the downtown core where the hotel is located and were provided with great directions by the front desk. It was a nice distraction too, to have the casino downstairs as well and not have to travel far to it.

Overall, the quality of the hotel itself combined with the exceptional customer service stacked up to be a wonderful experience. The quality per dollar ration is wonderful - we've paid more for less in Kelowna! We'd never been to Kamloops before and we will sure be coming back and staying at Hotel 540 everytims!

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Manders04,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your review. It's a bittersweet feeling to be known as the "best kept secret in town" - we are hoping to have it less of a secret ! That said, we do pride ourselves on the personal experience you described, and the newly renovated hotel we are fortunate to have. We look forward to welcoming you again soon !

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

This hotel is in a nice location right downtown. It's easy to find and easy to get around to other attractions from there. The view from our room was beautiful, nice large hills and the river. We were able to walk to the beach at night and just lay on the grass in the shade. We also walked to several nice restaurants in the downtown core, like Frick and Frack, a coffee place right next door with an outdoor patio, and an Irish pub a couple blocks down.

The room was comfortable and had a mini fridge. The only issue we had, and we mentioned it twice, was the water pressure in the showerhead. We were told maybe it needed to be fixed or cleaned but then we were told nothing was wrong with it. My husband believes it's just a regulator. Let me tell you, it took FOREVER to shower and even feell like we were getting wet. As my husband said, "by the time it reaches anywhere below my waist it's evaporated!" haha Very inconvenient. Eventually, he would pass me the ice bucket filled with tap water just so I could rinse my hair.

We booked this room on a travel site so we got a great deal, much better than people checking in at the same time as us. Maybe it wouldn't be that great of a price normally. I really wish the parking wasn't so expensive, considering we are already paying for the room and the parking is controlled with our hotel key.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear HatRez,

Thanks for sharing your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay ! I was disappointed to learn of the challenges you had with the shower, I apologize that we were not able to rectify this appropriately during your stay. Our Room Attendants check these things after each stay, but unfortunately- much like a light bulb- there is no warning when parts break. That said - no excuse, it appears our Maintenance Technician was not able to rectify this appropriately. As for parking, we do not bury our parking charges in a higher rate as some other hotels choose to. It becomes a pay per use item, and we know that $10/day is well below an industry norm. On the upside, we are the only hotel in Kamloops to have gated/key accessible/ heated underground parking. It is a great ammenity for the very cold winter days, as well as keeping your car out of the sun when it is 34'C (like today).

We look forward to seeing you back again in the future !

Regards

Bryan
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

The hotel is placed in middle of this very spread out city. Good shopping possibilties, while lose to many shops. 10 min walk to the banks of the rivers, and the nice park there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel540GM, General Manager at Hotel 540, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear Helle P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. You are correct, our central location is a great advantage to be within the middle of so many of Kamloops' shops, restaurants, night life and the very popular Riverside Park. I hope you enjoyed your time in Canada !

Bryan Pilbeam/General Manager
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

This was one of many hotels that my family and I stayed in on our way across Canada. It was not worth the money and I wish that I had found another place to stay. We arrived really late in Kamloops as we were having fun in Banff but needed a good night sleep. When we arrived we were given parking instructions to the underground garage and I proceeded to smash our car carrier as the clearance was not what it stated. I cleared other garages and the first initial opening of that garage just fine. Needless to say our carrier was ruined and the staff said sorry but did not exactly care. We proceeded to spend the night listening to the casino call out numbers till around 2 in the morning. When I informed the staff they said that they could switch us but to a smaller room and beds. That would not work for us we needed queens not doubles. When I said something again in the morning that the casino calls could be heard in the room, the gal at check out was like whatever. I would not recommend this hotel if you are planning to sleep. It is for sure not a hotel for kids and was really a last resort for us late in the evening not being familiar with the area. My mistake and one that I warn other families not to make. You expect sleep at a hotel at the very least.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gina B
Dear GB from Portland,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was sorry to read of the damage to your roof rack during your trip. I can tell you that I have just personally reviewed the heights of our entrance and parkade areas, and the 6'5" clearance is accurate in the driveable areas. I was also sorry to hear of the noise comments you experienced. Our guests typically comment on how comfortable (pillow top mattresses) and quiet our hotel is (new windows that block out street noise quite effectively - as long as they are closed). This is certainly the exception to the norm ! That said, I do apologize for the inconvenience you were caused. I have reviewed your concerns with our team and we will use your feedback to further improve the service we provide. I would love for your to give us a second chance, if so - please contact me directly to make your plans personally. Given the opportunity, I am sure we can regain your confidence in our hotel.

Best Regards