“Met All Of Our Expectations-We Will Be Back!”

The Thompson Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Vancouver
“Met All Of Our Expectations-We Will Be Back!”
Reviewed 31 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a Convention at the end of June for 3 nights. When we had to return the next weekend to attend one day of a Convention we chose to stay at the Thompson for another night. Both times we had a wonderful stay.

I ride a mobility scooter for distances and found the hotel was easy to get around in and the staff was lovely and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable (more comfortable even than our own at home)!

There are two choices for room service. Frik and Frak (previously Fogg and Sudds also in walking distance) which offers an extensive and tasy menu. There is also an in house restaurant which we did not try but were told was nice and offers dine-in option also. There are other restaurants and stores (London Drugs, Tim Hortons, huge Dollar store, Liquor store) in a few blocks radius as well.

I felt comfortable walking alone during the day in the area during the day and with my husband at night.

The hotel has a nice pool and hot tub. There is also room attached to the pool that has a very large TV and arcade games and air hockey. I think there was also a pool table. The games are all "paid" games.

There also was free wi-fi so I could use my lap-top in room which was appreciated. The parking was great. Everything was so convenient we seldom needed to move our car, but when we did we got a spot again no problem.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
BC
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I stayed here at the beginning of May with our Lacrosse Team. We found hotel to be accomodating for our team needs - storage area, games room, indoor pool. I was greeted each morning by every staff member I saw - lots of hellos & smiles! The Breakfast Buffet in the morning was great, the kids love waffles. The best part was the beds, I wanted to take mine home.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
North Shore
Reviewed 20 January 2009

The hotel did not inform us of the renovation in progress, and we had to enter thru a side door, with stairs, which made bringing in luggage a bit daunting. But the rooms although not very spacious was very clean. The bedding and mattresses were excellent. The rooms were upkept our whole week there.
The kids loved the pool and games room.
The dining room seemed to be going thru some issues, and rarely open in time for breakfast. This was annoying.
The strip has tons of restaurants we loved.
The shops and spas seemed higher priced than I was used to living on the North Shore. Which I found surprising.
What was most disturbing was the change I saw in the city from a few years prior. We noticed (with young children in tow, yet old enough to understand) on a Thursday at 11 am a 'john' bartering over price with a woman in front of London Drugs. A good friend of ours was being followed by a very rough looking character, when my husband drove behind....he then left. The bar crowd as they were leaving at 2am down the street was apparently very noisy. Fortunately, we didn't hear anything. I do rec'd however not to walk alone. And do not leave anything in view, let alone any valuables out of view in your vehicle. I also would rec'd not to flash any amounts of cash.
Many obviously 'high' residents at the park making some scenes in broad daylight...amongst the children playing. The street life was more than obvious, it was in our face. And the only officer I saw was once in a coffee shop. The Thompson had at that time a few hiccups, but on the whole, it is a good hotel, and in a convenient place. However it is the city that needs better management in order to provide a safe and secure environment.

• Liked — Clean bedding, new mattresses, clean room
  • Disliked — Street Life
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast Northern Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Good hotel - only stayed night. Location good. Room large with comfy beds, microwave, fridge, large bathroom. No complaints about this hotel. Didnt eat breakfast here and never used the pool

• Liked — Rooms, safe in room
  • Disliked — Nothing as only stayed for one night
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2008

A one night stay during our trip from Calgary to Vancouver. Other hotels visited on the journey were
· Mount Royal Banff
· Amethyst Jasper
· Sandman Hotel Calgary
· Quality Vancouver

We arrived at the Thompson round 5pm on a very hot night so were grateful to leave the porterage in the care of the very friendly female assistant manager & her ‘two lads’ who dealt very well with the bags. It seems that the lads farther & grandfather were porters at the Thompson & the task has been handed down – I like things like that – this hotel is going to be interesting.

Rooms were the best on our tour. Rated as ‘Gold Leave’ to those of you on the Rocky Mountaineer , those who were not gold leave – you are next door at the Executive – those of us on the Travelsphere Coach were very happy to be at the Thompson

As I say the rooms were really good, freshly decorated, immaculate bathroom, & a ‘welcome guide’ that must be read – AND I MEAN THAT.

You will discover in the guide that at the Thompson they have a mission statement – they are committed to delivering a spectacular guest experience ( that’s good) – but at a small price :-

· If you smoke in the room here is a $250 ‘recovery charge’ – that’s good isn’t it – sorry smokers you are banished to the rear of the car park.
· If you turn on the fridge there is a small charge,
· The laundry @ the Thompson must be popular – they tell you in the guide that you are allocated 4 x bath towels ($15 each) , 2 x hand towels ( $7 each) 2 x face clothes ( $4 each) 1 x bathmat ( $15) eight pillows ($40 each) 2 x robes ( $35 a piece) and blankets at $60 each – so make sure you check what you have otherwise a charge will come your way.

At the Thompson they CARE – that means they Communicate, Anticipate and Respond Enthusiastically – I love this place.

Staying at the Thompson according to their room guide is the Upside of Staying Down-town. It looks like the manager has been on a customer service course & has taken everything on board.

There is swimming pool & gym off reception & a games room with mostly free vend games such as air hockey, football, arcade games – really good.

As for food – we had a good meal at the Frogg & Sud ( franchise pub) across the street & in the morning a nice muffin & coffee from ‘Zacks’ a few minutes walk away.

WARNING – those of you o a coach tour – remember those porter lads – well they weigh your bags in & out ( perhaps to check for a stray Thompson pillow) – the lightest wins a price as does the heaviest. They come on the bus on your departure & announce the results – all good fun – or is it ? Either way the two lads & the nice female assistant manager stand n the pavement & wave you off – you al come back again now.

The Thompson – an experience , Kamloops – much better than I thought – take a walk by the river you will be surprised & it will give you an opportunity to have free smoke.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank cricklewood
Trail, BC
Reviewed 21 May 2008

When our soccer team had a tournament in Kamloops, the team manager reserved a block of rooms at the Thompson for $139 which included breakfast. I phoned to confirm the reservation with my visa number, and I was assured that yes, breakfast was included.

Upon arrival, we were informed that the breakfast deal was not going to be honoured, but the price would be lowered by $10 per night (breakfast was $10 per adults, $5 per kids). I complained and the staff said I would have to talk to the manager of the hotel the next morning (and to be fair, they felt badly and were nice about it).

When I spoke to the manager the next morning she was polite but a bit condescending, and I was told that she couldn't find enough staff, so we would end up being unhappy with the service (though part of the breakfast was self-serve) and that's why they reneged on the deal.

So I guess if I PAID for my breakfast, and got bad service because of lack of staff, that would be OK??

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank TrailSoccerMom
DORSET
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Kamloops was the third of six destinations on our Honeymoon in Canada. We travelled fom Jasper to Kamloops which took 6hrs, not only did the scenery change from lush and green to dry and dull but so did the time zone, we gained an hour. Kamloops gave us the impression that it was an industrial town built up around a railway, that said it was better than we had expected. The hotel was quite big, nice and clean with a very friendly, helpful staff. Our room was very good with a lovely comfortable bed and air-conditioning (which was a God send). The gym was small but better than nothing and the pool was clean and uncrowded. Although we were close to the train lines we were not disturbed by any noise. There was a choice of shops including a supermarket and chemist just a short walk away. We had our evening meal over the road at the 'Fogg & Suds' pub where the food and atmosphere were good and the staff were very chirpy 'For sure!' I would stay here again.
I hope you enjoy your visit to Canada as much as we did.

I will also be writing reviews and posting photo's for Tunnel Mountain Resort - Banff, Suwapta Falls Resort - Jasper, Summit Lodge & Spa - Whistler, Best Western Carlton Plaza Hotel - Victoria, and Pacific Palisades Hotel - Vancouver

• Liked — Clean, comfortable with helpful staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple