“Alright, but won't stay again”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #22 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Trail
“Alright, but won't stay again”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at this Comfort Inn in September 2012. The location is great, right across from Aberdeen Mall, and the rate was reasonable ($124/night). It had a pool, hot tub and water slide, which was great for my kids, but other than these few things, I would not recommend this hotel.

Positives: As mentioned above
The room: It was a bit on the smaller size, but for only one night, it was fine. They didn't have cots for our extra child, but they did offer a foamy mattress, which I actually liked better than the cot. It was easy to keep out of the way and my son said it was comfortable.
Breakfast: Great hot breakfast! Waffles(although only one waffle iron), eggs, sausages, bagels and toast(again, only one toaster).

Negatives:
Pool/Water slide area: While it was great to have these amenities, the pool area was not that clean. A pile of used towels littered the floor as there was no laundry basket. The lights flickered off and on and the water on the slide had to be reset about every 3 minutes. The kids would be on the slide and the water would shut off, so they would get stuck part way down and we would have to turn the water switch on again...and it was on the other side of the room. As a parent who chose not to swim, the benches were very uncomfortable to sit in to watch. I have definitely had better experiences with other hotels with pools!
The Bathroom: While the room was ok, the bathroom was not. The toilet seat was broken and slid around when you sat down, and the towels were very cheap and itchy. I went for a shower and the tub was full of hair(thankfully not the curly kind!). I had to run the hot water for a minute and the take a face cloth and wipe the tub out. Not what I want to do when on holidays. Also, there was no tub mat and once wet, the tub was quite slippery. The last problem was the shower head itself. It was pointed to far to the wall and it didn't move one bit. It had to squish against the wall to get wet. Not a pleasant showering experience.
The Room keys: I had to go back to the front desk 3 times for them to rekey the cards. Once we received them the first time, they didn't work at all. We went back and rekeyed them and they worked, but when I left the room to check out the pool area with my kids, it didn't work again. The next time, we had gone out for dinner and came back and they didn't work again. Lastly, we went to the pool, stayed an hour and went back to the room. Guess what...the key didn't work again. I was glad we were only a few feet from the front desk. It got annoying to keep going back.

This was an ok hotel for a one night stay in Kamloops, but I probably won't be staying there again. There are other hotels the area with the same amenities that I am willing to check out before I go back to the Comfort Inn.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room that face the highway. Ugly view and a bit too nosiy
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reston, Manitoba
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Good value for your dollar with reasonable room rates. Excellent continental breakfast which is a requirement when we book hotels. The breakfast had a great selection of both hot and cold foods. The location was close to the Aberdeen Shopping Mall, right across the street. We would have liked to have a fridge in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night as part of the Rocky Mountaineer train trip. It was a comfortable hotel with quite a large room, good bed and roomy bathroom, plus free wi-fi, always a bonus. Did not use any of the facilities in the hotel so cannot comment on these. Kamloops itself is not a great tourist destination but fine for an overnight stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a sleeper! It has an epic indoor waterside and the staff are very helpful and friendly :). Very family friendly. I will be here again. Good location and we used the conference room which was also perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed September 2012
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel, as we were in the midst of a long road trip, and wanted little more than somewhere with clean rooms, easy location to the highway, and good value. I would say for the most part that was what we got - the room was good but not the cleanest I've seen, the bed really quite comfortable, and the location for those passing through unbeatable.
That being said, we paid a bit more than I would expect for this chain, and our experience with the continental breakfast bordered on ridiculous. It's a small dining area and even smaller prep room (which they generally are), and the space and staff were completely unable to deal with the number of people choosing to breakfast at the same time. Mind you, the fact that they seemed to have a disproportionate number of rude guests can hardly be considered the hotel's fault, but the issue was as much their capacity to cope as it was the actions of the guests themselves.
This hotel is what it is: well located, functional and decent value; we slept well and were on the road early the next day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Travelling from Vancouver to Calgary, coming in at 11, I found the front desk clerk extremely hepful, polite and efficient. Air conditioning worked well and the bed was very comfortable. I would suggest you ask for a room on the parking lot side as it was quiet. The breakfast was good with plenty of tables. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here as a part of the Rocky Mountaineer Tour. Once we were off the train we were shuttled on over to the hotel and the perk was that we were already checked in and our luggage was in the room. So I can't comment on the check-in process or friendliness of the front desk staff. The rooms were typical as to what you would see at any Comfort Inn. I did find that the door to our room was very heay and shut very slowly so we would have to stand there and pull it shut to make sure it would lock. A couple of the other people in our group commented on the traffic noise outside since there is a highway that runs by but it didn't bother us. If you are looking for a good spot for dinner, Vittorio's is a 30 second walk across the parking lot. They are an Italian restaurant with lots of fresh ingredients. Also, if you just need a bottle of water or snacks there is a gas station across the street. I wouldn't want to stay here for an extended time but the one night was fine and I did notice that they have a complimentary breakfast as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business