“Pleasantly Surprised! Good budget hotel.”
Review of Star Lodge

Star Lodge
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We rolled into Kamloops late at night on the last leg of an exhausting trip. While feeding our tired kids we looked up available hotels and this was one of the few that showed vacancy online - and it was close to the restaurant. There were a ton of 1 star bad reviews, but we were so tired we booked it and crossed the street and checked in. We were prepared for mould, spiders, dirty room etc. etc.

Checking in - the front desk staff was very friendly and made sure we were in a big enough room to fit our kids. The room smelled and looked clean and we never noticed anything dirty or out of place - and certainly no insects or other things. The fridge even worked and kept our food cold over night. The beds seemed great - we slept so well and even slept in a few hours!

When we finally rolled out the door (after check out time) we discovered every other guest gone and our truck battery dead. I went to the front desk and the owner was SO helpful - he brought his car over right away with a smile and had to leave his car running for a long time before the diesel truck would start. I offered him money but he refused and said "money is not the most important thing, helping people is." We talked for quite a while and he is a new owner of the hotel and the restaurant next door - they just arrived there from Vancouver.

So in closing, we got an inexpensive room, slept very well, didn't notice a single thing wrong, and were bailed out by a very helpful and kind owner. Not bad at all for a budget hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Northern_Dad_BC

Reviewed 4 August 2012

arrived at hotel found old food in fridge ,dirty glassess in the cupboard that had lip prints on the rim , found big spiders above beds , no cream and sugar and the cloths in the washroom were marked rags . when we contacted the front desk they pretty much told us nothing could be done . after a few minutes the owner came over to are room we showed him all that was wrong , he asked what we we would like done to fix this matter . we said we would like a small discount nothing major , his response was NO DISCOUNT , he gave us 2 choices #1 to get a full re embersment and to get the heck out , which was not a option since all places were booked . #2 to have them clean the room again . when we asked again if a small discount could be gotten and have the room cleaned , the owner became angree and told us that the cleaning is not his fault due to the fact that he is going through new maids on a daily basis , and the maids were busy today . i simply stated that , we should not have to be the one that should have to put up with this , the owners response was that he wants us out of the room now . i notified him that he needs valid grounds to evict , he stated no he does'nt ,he's been in the hospitality industry for 20 years and he will just say my wife was smoking in the room . i stated to him that she smokes only outside in stated areas at that piont 2 other people also stated that they saw my wife only smoking outside . i notified him again that what he was trying to do was illegal , he responded by threatning me with his lawyer . he told us to leave the room so it can be cleaned after we showed him the old food , we left him in the room and as we were by are vehicle we saw him walking away leaving the room open . upon return to are room we found the old food sitting on the table and the rags still in the bathroom . the hot tub was cold and dirty and the big pool was also cold , several people that were exiting the pools also stated the pools were to cold to swim . we stayed at this hotel many times in the past when it was under diffrent ownership , it may not have looked as nice on the outside , but we never ever had a problem with the owners .

Room Tip: go somewhere else , other than here
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary K
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Heater was working too low.The room of the hotel was too cool in winter.I will suggest if you will book this hotel then most probaly you will be cheated yourself.I have seen that kind of worst type of hotel.

Room Tip: They should renovate the complete hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank yourrajneesh
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Clerk didn't know how to use computer and couldn't log on - said I didn't have a reservation - but I had prepaid and had the paperwork with me. He wouldn't call anyone for help. I called Econo Lodge head office and they called him twice, but he still argued I would have to pay him and get a refund from the online service. It took 50 minutes before he would give me a room - it was stained, dingy and noisy. The bathroom fan made everything shake, the fridge needed unplugging because it was rattled, there was a hole in the wall and things were stained all over. The non-stop party/music/student noise was awful. I slept with a chair against the door.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank gypsycontessa
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Stayed here one nyt, one nyt too long. No towels in bathroom, air con unit not working, noisy as hell, skanky bathroom, fleas in the linen & carpet .... room cleaner didn't know we were there and just walked straight in.... this is the 9th econolodge I've stayed at in 5 weeks and the only one I've not liked. Gives econolodge a bad name.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank mediteranean_fan
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This filthy room was the worst ever. Mattress like cardboard, stained with body fluids, black hair on the sheets and pillow cases. Threadbare single blanket. Mold on ceiling in bathroom.
Dirt on vanity in bathroom, both old and fresh body fluid stains on vanity face.
Cobwebs in every corner. Lock and security chain absent.
Originally booked 2 nights, left the next morning- running to the car!
I understand the budget room but no excuse for the dirt. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank vancouverislander
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I cannot believe I actually stayed in this motel.
When we first settled into the room the itching started....I couldn't find anything in the sheets but could not stop scratching.
The dust was pretty thick in really obvious places.
The fridge door didn't close properly (food safe?)
There wasn't any smoke alarms which I will report to the city.
My husbands feet became very black from the carpet.( I kept my shoes on )
When I got home I washed everything in my suitcase even though it was clean......Good Luck.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family