“Great Location”
Review of Star Lodge

Star Lodge
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We only stayed one night but for the price it was very good value. It's conveniently located just off the highway and close to lots of restaurants and shopping. The owner was very helpful and friendly and accommodated some of our special requests. It's also got a pretty view of the Kamloops area and you can see the confluence of the Thompson rivers from the lookout point across the street. We were able to relax and carry on our journey early the next morning. Really handy having starbucks, tim horton and the gas station on the way to the highway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bimal P

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Got in late at night and left fairly early in the morning. The room was basic and nothing special. The price for the room seemed quite high for being "Econo", but it served the purpose. Aircon kept the room comfortable on a hot night. Be prepared for the noise of trains passing close during the night. Something that did not affect me, but might affect rooms below, the floor was squeaking everytime I took a step

Room Tip: To keep noise levels down try for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ted B
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Reasonable value as it wasn't pricey but the room wasn't very spacious and the proprietor coudn't fix the light bulb properly - a pity as there wasn't much lighting in the room. Fairly handy to town but plenty of others to choose from.

Room Tip: Upstairs in December means negotiating slippery metal stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blairsensei
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed in that lodge for 23 days. The owner was welcoming on first sight. We made a deal for a package price and paid in full. As soon as the first night is over, he changed his tone and stating his homemade rules to us. First of all, we are not allowed to have a breakfast. Thanks for that advise. Later on we found out some cheap and uncomfortable place to have a breakfast. Secondly, you are not allowed to have phone calls. Even though he mentioned that the local calls are free. Thirdly, he will put both burner coils in but one of them won't work. We revealed that It was his idea of going in green. Fourthly, the room cards get reset in every 3/4 days. Once you get into the office for replacement, he will ask you some random questions about smoking inside, leaving the door/ window open while the cooler is on etc. etc.

Finally, there was no room service for us. Expected at least once in a week. How much would that cost him !!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shan02223
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We booked thru Choicehotels.com and could not cancel after we got there and viewed the hotel and room 120. Please listen to us-do not go here! We felt uncomfortable and somewhat unsafe in this particular facility. It's old dingy and rundown. In the morning I walked I to the office, the Econolodge breakfast area, and there was not one thing to eat!! even though a continental breakfast was to be included.
My recommendation......avoid this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Probably good we didn't see the reviews first! Then we'd have gone someplace else.
Good thing we didn't though. We were tired after a long drive from Sidney on the island. Kamloops was to be our stop for the night. First 3 hotels were full, so we went for our usual Best Western, but thought their price for once was on the steep side. There are a lot of hotels in Kamloops so one of us said: Why don't we try....... ? Yeah, why not.
Guy at the front desk was nice, and as soon as I mentioned AAA he took 10$ off the price. We asked to see the room before we decided -no problem. The room was fine and smelled clean so we moved in. My wife's got an eagles eye when it comes to dirt, but here was no remarks.
Later we sat on the small balcony and enjoyed a nightcap, looking across a few 100meters of highway and shrubs, to the impressive building of Best Western.
We needed a couple of beds and a shower in a clean room -and that's what we found. At a most decent price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Manga, the owner of this specific location not only argued about my reservation but straight-up lied to me and my family.

I had made a reservation with this particular location a week prior to the stay over the phone. He took my credit card information but wouldn't give me an email confirmation - I obviously asked for a name (Manga) and confirmed the tel# and address.

When I showed up on the date-of, the young boy at the counter didn't know anything about my reservation. He made me use my own cell phone to call the other Econo Lodge and Inn location to see if I've misbooked. Afraid that I had made a mistake, I phoned the other location and they said that I've made a reservation. I got frustarted because I had given my credit card information over the phone to someone at THIS location. The service got worse. The boy kept saying that I didn't make a reservation and I obviously wanted to see that they had my info. As soon as another customer came into the lobby/shady office - he abandoned me and ignored me!!! He finally got the owner to show up.

The first thing the owner said was "What is your problem?" Maybe he meant to be more polite but that is exactly what he said. I said that I made a reservation - and he asked me to PROVE IT! I said I didn't get an email confirmation from Manga. He looks at the name was like "I don't know this person". So now I'm freaking out thinking they let a stranger into their location to make reservation!! I demaned to know how that happened. THE OWNER STARTED TO YELL AT ME (To be fair, I was also loud). I tried to listen to part of his reasoning but his words told me that a) hes calling me a liar and that I didn't make a reservation b) hes screaming at me to ask for proof that I had called previously and c) that he can't do anything for me.

he told me had an opening but at this point. I didn't even want to stay. I just wanted my credit card information back from this place. When I said I was going to post a review, he went to his folder and MAGICALLY found my reservation slip that he had forgotten to put into the system. I asked again about this Manga guy and how he could forget to put into the computer. This is what the owner said "He used to work here, but he went back to University. I no longer know him"

Anyways, when they finally found my credit information I said I didn't want to stay there anymore. The guy didn't even offer an apology and just said "you were right", I asked him to apologize - and he did - but he was laughing and wasn't even sincere. He offered to let me and my mother stay for free but we didn't want to stay at a place like that anymore where they had no system (might I also add, another guest kept coming down with issues during this entire process).

In the very end, when he was ensuring me that my credit card wouldn't be charged he told me HE IS MANGA. THE GUY HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW AND HAD GONE BACK TO UNIVERSITY.
Who would lie to their guest like that?

He offered to let me stay in one of his room for free but there was no way I was going to stay at this point. This definitely ruined my entire trip in Kamloops,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family