“The best trail layout I have ever seen”
Review of Sun Peaks Ski Area

Sun Peaks Ski Area
Ranked #2 of 77 things to do in Kamloops
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whether you come for the diverse ski terrain or for the variety of summer activities, Sun Peaks is a haven for recreational fun in a three-mountain alpine area. Located in the Interior of British Columbia, Sun Peaks boasts Canada’s second largest ski area with 4,270 acres of terrain. With 6 meters of light, dry snow falling annually and over 2,000 hours of sun each year, guests enjoy spectacular winter conditions for downhill skiing, snowboarding and cross country skiing. Off the slopes, more winter adventure awaits with dog-sledding tours, snowmobile and snowshoe tours, horse-drawn carriage rides and more. Summer at Sun Peaks offers just as much recreational fun. Sun Peaks is home to BC’s highest elevation golf course. Guests can explore the alpine with lift-access hiking and world-class mountain biking trails, with opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, Segway tours and horseback riding. Sun Peaks’ vibrant European-style village is nestled at the base of Tod Mountain, Sundance and Mt. Morrisey. The village offers a wide selection of accommodations, restaurants and shopping boutiques.
Sun Peaks, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best trail layout I have ever seen”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

On many mountains it is easy for a novice skier to get onto a black run without knowing it

Sun Peaks is one of the very few mountains that I have been to where it is difficult to accidentally get onto a run that is beyond your skiing ability.If you do, most of the Black runs that are accessible by a less than expert skier have a cat track about half way down that an inexperienced skier could "bail" onto.

This layout virtually eliminates the "ability conflict" between an expert skier and a novice. I am specifically thinking about Lower Franz on Whistler where you often find Green Level skiers sideslipping down the run because they have taken a miss-turn on the Pony run and cant get off

Visited November 2013

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Congratulations Sunpeaks for Ranking 18th for North American Ski Resorts 2013 Conde Naste”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Glad to see that Sunpeaks is still in the top 20 as it is in the shadow zone between the Rockies-Banff Jasper and Whistler on the coast. We believe it should be higher based on our 16 visits since the 1990's. When we rave about SP people draw a blank and say where? Surprising because it is the second largest resort in BC with close to 128 runs and glades. We have returned over 15 times, last year for 35 days which I skied consecutively, this year for 40 if my body lasts as I am 70 and Diane is 67. The dry powder of the powder highway area in BC and the relative moderate temperatures of this area beats the bone chilling numbness of areas east of the Rockies and the 'eastern powder' (hard packed to ice) as well as the rain and the Cascade concrete of the coastal areas. In 15 years and over 200 days of skiing we have had only 2 days of mist and the snow conditions have generally been powder and packed powder. The grooming is great and the crowds and rates are low especially in January when we get out of Ontario to ski. We stay on the hill skiing down to the lifts in the am and back to Nancy Greene's Lodge for lunch and then.... We don't have a car, have a full kitchen and eat out sometimes with friends at one of the excellent restaurants in the Lodge and village. With beautiful scenery, no crowds, great weather, great grooming, friendly staff etc Sunpeaks is the best resort we have ever stayed at and as our friends have said: Why go anywhere else when we have powder heaven here. I would recommend it to anyone especially those with young children and seniors. Mike Purdy

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mike P
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunpeaks is a year round destination”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

It is busy all year round with amazing amount of ski hills. During the summer they take every fourth seat of the ski tow and put a bicycle rack on so people can ride the gondola up and then ride their bike down Trails every where for mountain bikes. Spartan Mudder race throughout the hills, drew thousands this year. Music festivals, and on it goes. Inexpensive accommodations. $100 a nite for a condo - the restaurants are excellent The scenery is breath taking and the cleanest air you can imagine. Perfect place to go for many activities
we were there to attend the Spartan Mudder Race

Visited September 2013
Rhode Island
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Still waiting...”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Every year, my husband, sister-in-law and I go on a week long ski trip. We love British Columbia and we have visited Lake Louise, Whistler and Fernie several times. If we're thinking of going to a new place for the first time, I often call the reservations desk and chat about what we are looking for and what might be available, before we decide what to book.
This year, I thought it might be cool to go somewhere different, so I called the reservation desk for Sun Peaks. I talked to a woman who did not seem the slightest bit interested in what we were looking for. She dismissed me with the promise of "a few quotes," and although I found the experience rather abrupt compared to other resorts I have dealt with, I figured quotes would be fine.
24 hours later, and I have received nothing. So I am wondering whether this attitude reflects the Sun Peaks way of doing business. Not so sure we should go there now....

Visited September 2013
2 Thank genevaRhodeIsland
Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Truly the Best Family Resort in Canada!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Of course in the ski world there is all kind of competition to be rated the best resort and its all about marketing but this is an insiders report as I have absolutely no ties to the organization or the resort other than enjoying it frequently! I have been skiing in Canada for over 40 years and have tried most of the resorts in BC and Alberta (I can't speak to Eastern Canada but lets face it there are mountains and then there are MOUNTAINS). You can't go wrong at most resorts in Western Canada.....you will have great skiing pretty much anywhere but as a family resort, SUN PEAKS gets top marks on every account. The terrain is so varied from extraordinarily challenging double black diamonds, Loads of tree skiing, Big Moguls, Groomed runs, a whole range of Blue Intermediate Runs, and tons of Green Beginners. There isn't a ski level that can't be accommodated at Sun Peaks. And the reality is the lineups are incredibly short given the quality and scope of the mountain. Then there are the miles of fantastic x-country trails. And Snow Shoe trails. The village is terrific. No, it isn't as huge and glamorous as Whistler for sure but its perfect for a family---lots of shops, lots of restaurants. The snow is better in the Interior and the vibe of the whole place is friendly. The condo rental options are vast and if you want a full service hotel there are lots of options there too. Great apres ski options for adults and children throughout the village including a great little sports center and skating rink. We have ridden the chair lifts with people from all over the world and over and over again the visitors tell us they just can't get over what a fabulous resort Sun Peaks is.

Visited December 2012