“A unique experience”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 19 October 2013

At the end of a 5 day road trip, we were treated to a nice experience at this hotel. We biked the lovely grounds and enjoyed the goats and alpacas. The dinner, while simple, was adequate and suited us just fine. The staff bent over backwards to help us. We would definitely recommend it. The hotel would be a wonderful place for a wedding or small conference.

Room Tip: The river side could be noisy from highway traffic, but by closing the door, it kept the noise at ba...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I enjoyed reading your Tripadvisor review about your stay with us. We do have great staff and just won the annual Chamber of Commerce award for guest service. Thank you so much for your very positive comments and love that you would recommend us.
Thank You! David

Reviewed 15 October 2013

At check in the ccard I used to book room was not accepted!
They took a huge deposit (600) and the only means of refunding it when I left was with 5 and 10 dollar bills! This means I have to go to the
bank and deposit a huge wad of cash. Quite inconvenient.
Breakfast should have been included in room charge. All the extra charges are not attractive.
I ordered breakfast the night before and it was forgotten the morning of. Had I not mentioned it we would not have gotten it.
A coffee pot in the room would be nice for
Those of us that need one to wake up.
I loved the atmosphere of the place. Very quiet and relaxing. Pillows were way too lumpy. For the price of the rooms you may want to invest in comfy pillows. I wish I had brought my own actually!
We spent the next day at wildlife park just up the road. Very convenient distance.
Nice to wake up to the river out my window. Room could have been warmer. There was no thermostat to turn up the heat. Lobby was super warm!
Amazingly good food all around!
Thanks for the get away night with my granddaughter... Good luck with your hotel going forward...

Room Tip: Perfect place for a couple to go to get away. Awesome dining. Not really a place for children unle...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Judith W
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thanks for your Tripadviser response.

As you said your card was declined at check-in and whenever you check-in to a hotel a credit card or deposit is required. The $600 deposit was to secure the room costs and to allow you to charge as needed to your room.

When you checked out you had not spent your deposit so we owed you the difference. As you did not have a credit card to credit we had no choice to give you cash. We could have sent you a cheque but then you would have had to wait for your money.

We were in a no win situation.

As you knew when booking the room it did not include breakfast.

I am sorry we did not deal with your breakfast properly. Our front desk did mess up by not putting your request in our book for the kitchen. When you reminded us it did not take long for us to prepare it for you.

Wish I knew what room you were in so I could check the pillows. We have great beds and pillows and if we have a lumpy one we want it gone.

Every room does have a heat/cool control and I am sorry you were not shown where it was.

I appreciate your positive comments about the atmosphere, the food, the location, the river and us being quit and relaxing.

Brenda our executive chef will love your food comment.

Hope your granddaughter had a great time with you and with us.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband & I stopped for 2 nights on our way to Vancouver. (09/17-09/19). We were delighted to find such a charming place with beautiful views. Our room was newly renovated with a fireplace, jacuzzi & a mountain view.
My wife has a severe gluten allergy & it was comforting to know that the dining & kitchen staff were able to accommodate this.
All the staff was quite attentive and it was nice to see the "hands-on" owner, David around.
I would not hesitate in recommending this resort to anyone!
Thank you!

Room Tip: Our king room facing the mountains was very quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Well thank you very much Michael & Francie for your very lovely comments about your stay with us. We appreciate your words very much! We love hearing that you would not hesitate to recommend us, it makes our team very so very happy to see the care for our guest is noticed Hope to see you back for a visit. Thank you again!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The rooms are large and roomy with comfortable beds and a great shower with lots of hot water and good water pressure which was very welcome after a long game of golf on a cool day.
We had dinner in the restaurant and ended up quite disappointed. The food is not cheap which is fine if you get value for your money. However, I ordered Pork Baby Back ribs and although the sauce had some nice taste the meat was not hot enough and in fact was cold before I could finish my meal (and I'm known as a fast eater!!).
Then I tried the 5 layer chocolate cake for desert and although it was very rich and tasty, it seemed as though it had been sliced earlier and maybe refrigerated for a while as the sides of the cake were quite dry.
We were here with a large party for dinner and a couple of my buds were also quite disappointed with their meals (in fact 2 guys actually sent them back).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your positive comments about your experience staying with us, we really appreciate it. So sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, I sure hope you mentioned this to your server so they could have dealt with this for you. We welcome you back anytime and would love to offer you a much better dining experience. We get very few food complaints and it really bothers us when we do. Food service is a tough business. You can do a great job most times and then for whatever reason we let someone down as we did with you. Brenda, our chef, will not enjoy these comments and I am sure she will see if we can improve. Thanks again for all your comments and hope you do return.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed there one night on our way to the Rockies from Vancouver. Beautiful room, great pool, excellent meal (rack of lamb and vegetarian meal for my wife). Personnalized service from the Patriquin family and the owner himself (he gave me a bottle of BC wine he wanted me to try !)
Very pleasant surroundings, with lamas, horses AND EVEN A BLACK BEAR !!! Great place, warmly recommend. Would be great for a company meeting or a seminar.

2  Thank zibo56
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for the great comments and recommendations for others to enjoy STIGR. I enjoyed our conversation and appreciated your knowledge of wines.
We have great BC wines and wanted you to experience one of them . We enjoyed having you stay with us!
I do want everyone to know our agreement that the bottle of wine would not impact your Tripadviser comments We NEVER influence responses other than by striving to offer great service.
Thanks, David

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Our company had a beautiful weekend at this resort. The Thompson Inn & Conference Center was clean and a quiet relaxing place, beautiful views of the mountians and is beside the river. Our room was over looking the golf course.
Had a wonderful BBQ Dinner and sat by the firepit for the evening!
Lots of things to do.. golf, walking trails, pool, gym and nice lounge and restaurant.
I would highly recommend this resort for a couple's getaway or business.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We so appreciate our guests writing into Tripadvisor to share their experience. We are the South Thompson Inn and Conference Centre. There is another property called the Thompson Hotel. They are a downtown hotel, not on the river.
We do have the river, the mountain, the fire-pit, walking trail and all the other stuff as well as overlook Rivershore golf course. So thank you again and please say hello when you return.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We booked our September 14th wedding here over a year ago and we knew from the moment we drove down the lane into this beautiful property, that this is where we wanted the rest of our lives to begin. When I saw the ranch, it was a nostalgic moment growing up with a grandfather who raised and raced horses, seeing the beautiful animals when first driving in, I knew this place is perfect. No matter how many times you're told it's a one of a kind space, until you drive in and see it first hand, you have no idea.
We were looking for an established venue that could not only host an outdoor September wedding (with an indoor plan b back up ceremony site) and reception space, but that also had beautiful scenery for our wedding portraits and of course a unique venue that offered everything we wanted in a reception space with a hotel that our guests could spend the night and not have to worry about getting home after a full day of celebrations! We wanted our guests to feel like they were away from the city without having to travel a long way to get the out of town feeling. We were looking for an all inclusive but local kind of a venue for our guests. The grounds are beautifully maintained and lush but still has a ranch rustic feel. The south thompson river is a stunning back drop for the perfect wedding day!

The two most important factors for us when planning a wedding were venue and food. The staff at the Inn delivered for us, time and time again!!

We worked for over a year with the amazing events staff, Julie and Anke. They were so great to deal with and we were super picky. Shane and I, along with our family, wanted our wedding to be the very best our guests had seen in a while and it was wonderful dealing with an events staff with patience and the desire to deliver!!
We worked closely with chef Brenda and asked her to create food she enjoys making. What she came up with was anything but your standard buffet. We are still hearing daily how amazing the appys and dinner was. I highly recommend a tasting prior to settling on your menu. Yes, you will need to pay for it (obviously) but its well worth tasting what you will be serving your guests. Shane and I feel very strongly that food is not something you should skimp on when planning a wedding. When working with the South Thompson Inn, I can guarantee, there is no skimping. I'm not sure Chef Brenda realizes the extent of her creative abilities and how absolutely amazing she is!!
The Inn has a charm that is unmatched, the rooms are beautiful and super clean. But one of our favorite parts of our weekend, wedding aside, was the manor house!!! WOW!!!! That space is incredible!!!! I can't recommend taking advantage of everything the manor house has to offer, more!! We absolutely loved the manor house!! My husband his Dad and his 6 groomsmen enjoyed the night before our wedding there and then our entire families spent the night of our wedding there, while Shane and I enjoyed the bridal suite. The Manor House is a great spot that we can't wait to get back and enjoy :))
The staff....everyone we worked with in planning, the staff the night of our reception and the staff the day after our wedding...thank you for being as exceptional as you are!!!
Anke...thank you for being so good to us. Never treating us like a number, but as friends. Thank you for helping us create the kind of day we thought only happened in movies.
Julie...you my dear are adorable! Thank you so much for all your help throughout our planning. Thank you for that smile of yours and also for bringing those appys to Shane, our bridal party and us. You have no idea how much we needed that ;)
Brenda, you are incredible!!!! You impressed us (and our guests) beyond any words I could possibly write. Everything was delicious, you surpassed every expectation we had!!
David...you have an incredible staff and your Inn is the perfect place for a wedding. Thank you for taking the time to call me personally a few weeks before our wedding and thank you so much for your kind words the day before the wedding :)
Thank you all so much...I could write for days about how perfectly charming The South Thompson Inn is :))
Sincerely and from the bottom of our hearts we love you all,
Julie and Shane Dawood

2  Thank JulieDawood
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

WOW nothing else to say!

Well this is fantastic and is better than anything I could say about us. Thank you
BUT we cannot do what you have written without you guys being so great to deal with. You knew what you wanted, let us know what you wanted and allowed us to deliver it as best we could.
We have had other events where we offer the same level of service and get complaints.
You have no idea how much our team appreciate what you said about us. We read your Tripadviser comments at our weekly management meeting and everyone was ecstatic, Brenda high fiving with Anke and Julie hugging each other.
So Thank You, Thank You