“Potential” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Calgary, Canada
“Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

It's a lovely hotel and it must have been quite a concept in it's day. The location is by far the prettiest location in Kamloops and if you're there to golf what does anything else matter. At the onset, we did not get any service at entering the hotel. No one there was there to greet us, direct us or help us with our luggage. We parked on our own and made several trips back and forth. I specifically asked for a quiet room not facing the golf course but as I was traveling with a pet I gather I didn't have a choice and I indeed got the short end of the stick, not only did I choose a night where people wanted to party but my room was located in front of the ice machine. The room lacked things like water or coffee service. The beds must be either flipped or replaced. They are lumpy as so are the pillows. I wanted to swim but the swimming pool was tiny and occupied with children so I thought I'd sit on the patio and have a drink but I wasn't approached. The staff were in the bar talking to each other...perhaps I had to order at the bar...they could have advised me. The hotel is unique and very clean but it's tired and it desperately needs a bit of a renovation not to mention service...not the worse night I've spent in a hotel but definitely not the best.

Room Tip: Not sure if you have a choice if you travel with a pet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank turnbsy
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I am sorry but it seems we did nothing right for you. You sure received a different experience than almost everyone else. Sure wish you had spoken with me.
Did you ask for service for the areas you said were lacking. If you did and were refused I would sure like to know about it as we never refuse to help our guests with luggage or whatever else they need.
We have a large parking lot right at our entrance and with us parking is free.
Every room has very drinkable water but I agree no coffee in the rooms. Much better complimentary coffee on the bar every morning and always available upon request.
Wish I knew what room you stayed in as we just recently replace all our pillows and we mostly hear how comfortable our beds are.
We are well known for guest service so it would be helpful if I knew what night you were ignored.
This is the first I heard of your difficult night with us. Did you mention it to anyone while here?
Sorry about your experience with us and hope the rest of your trip went better.
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was an anniversary get away and the staff were just wonderful. Special arrangements were made for us to have a room with a jacuzzi tub in our room and a beautiful river view. The room had an A/C which worked terrific on the 36 C day, thank goodness! Unfortunately it was too hot to visit the llamas or horses so we spent some time walking around the grounds catching shade under the trees. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We enjoyed the comfortable beds and linens. The amenities were very good. We ordered Iced Tea at the bar and it was perfect! The customer service was just wonderful right from the front desk staff members to the bar staff and the restaurant staff we were so pleased. The only down side of this accommodation was the lack of fridge and coffee maker in our room. We ended up driving to Tim Hortons, 15 min away for coffee after dinner as the one we ordered with our dinner wasn't quite enough for us. Overall I would recommend this place to others for the privacy and intimacy this Inn creates.

Room Tip: River View Room with Shared balcony & Jacuzzi tub, if available.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
I really enjoyed reading your very positive comments about your stay with us. Especially the quality of our service .Thank you!

Next time you stay with us please ask for a mini fridge to be put in your room for your arrival. I am disappointed you felt you had to leave to get enough coffee. We obviously did not handle this correctly. We would have been happy to make you a pot of coffee for your room after your dinner or any time., Next time please ask for that as well. Hope to see you on a cooler day so you can enjoy the llamas and horses.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Dog Friendly Inn right on the river. I found the rate a bit expensive for what you get. The patios are shared. There is no coffee maker in the room (although they will make you a coffee if you ask) and no fridge (we had dog food to chill) our room was facing the golf course and it was a nice view but I bet the river side was a nicer view. The staff were super friendly and it was great to wander around the property looking at the horses and llamas. There are no restaurants within walking distance and the Inn's restaurant is pretty pricey but the food was AMAZING! my husband had the local trout, and I had the BC Salmon... All in all it was a nice place to stay just outside of Kamloops.

Room Tip: get a room on the riverside.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. Next time you visit ask the front desk to put a mini fridge in your room for your dog’s arrival. We are more than happy to do that for you. As you know we have great coffee set up on the bar every morning for our guests I am so happy to hear that you found the food amazing! The trout is my favorite. Local from a very cold lake so firm and fresh. Like the fresh salmon as well and the fish and chips. I like fish as well. Our immediately neighbor is Rivershore golf Links and they have a full service restaurant. Short walk across the driving range.
Thanks David
hertsfordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

A superb place to stay between Jasper & Whistler!!
We booked the South Thompson Inn last minute as, having read bad reviews for the hotel we were due to stay in at Sun Peaks, we decided not to stay there. What an excellent change of plan for us! This place is a beautiful oasis in the dry surrounding countryside. We were allocated a stunning King room overlooking the river with a lovely balcony to chill out on. The staff were all SO friendly & courteous- nothing was too much trouble & the food was superb. The swimming pool by the river was a perfect temperature - a lovely place to cool off & relax with a view of the river.
The hotel is only a short 15 minute drive from Kamloops - but definitely worth a slight detour to stay at such a lovely hotel!
The weather was 10c hotter than expected at this time of year at 38c, but the rooms were cool, with very quiet efficient air conditioning & were actually cool enough to manage without the A/C overnight.
The hotel & grounds were well kept & immaculately clean. This is a family owner/run hotel. We met the owner & his daughter & they are very "hands on" with a real passion for their property. I will be recommending this hotel to the travel company I used as I was so impressed by it!
We could not have wished for a better place to stay - next time we will stay longer as one night was just not enough!!

Room Tip: All views are lovely - either mountain or river view. I would choose a river view room in preference...
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Thank you so very much for letting Tripadvisor know about your experience with us. And of course telling your travel agent how you enjoyed your stay.
I understand you are extremely well traveled and have experienced accommodations all over the world so we are humbled by your awesome comments.
If there was a Tripadviser site for guests you would get 5 circles from us as well.
Thank you and hope to see you in the future!
St. Albert, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay after checking the location on line - this is the only issue that would get a negative mark, but it is not the fault of the hotel (more to do with Google maps). Our plan was to get a room that was on our route home - turns out the hotel is about 15 minutes outside of Kamloops in a different direction, but the time was well worth the reward!
We were surprised to find that this is actually a picturesque riverside guest ranch with a lot of character! Horses, llamas, and even painted turtles reside there, adding to the variety of things to do and see right on site (we didn't actually see the turtles, but also didn't have time to fully tour the property - assume there were there somewhere). The staff were friendly and most accommodating. The rooms were clean and well kept, with balconies and comfortable beds. Lovely outdoor pool (open til 11pm) and Jacuzzi (open 24/7) were perfect for sunning during the day and star gazing at night. The scenic grounds make for a beautiful walk (or bike ride - they even provide the bikes!) and, while we're not golfers, the dozens of golf carts parked nearby would indicate a busy course. The lounge and restaurant were affordable and the food was delicious! The facility is also well set up for group functions - would be a terrific destination for a wedding.
We are glad that we did not end up in the middle of the busy city (though that is exactly what we expected when we booked), and would certainly go back for a few days if we're passing through that way again - hopefully have enough time to truly appreciate everything this facility has to offer!

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Great mistake for us as well

I would like to apologize to you about the Google map directions. We have tried many times to have this corrected but Google have not taken care of this for us and our guests. We now have a pop up on our confirmation letter letting everyone know of the issue and how to find us easily. I appreciate your positive comments about your stay with us, and taking the time to outline many features here. Thank you!

Very happy you ended up staying with us and hope to see you again!

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We decided to go on a last minute one night escape from fire-ridden Kelowna and came across the South Thompson Inn. So glad we did! Instead of some generic hotel-chain, the South Thompson Inn had more of a resort feel with gorgeous views, a very relaxed atmosphere, and loads of character. If you are looking for the sleek, modern hotel look, this is not the place for you but if you are hoping to get away from it all, be surrounded by serenity, charm, and beauty, this is it. We arrived a little early but had no problem getting an early check-in. Receptionist was so friendly and accommodating. Getting exactly the view we wanted was no issue at all! Our dog was happily accommodated, too and greeted with treats and doggy bags. We had a wonderful relaxing afternoon by the pool, which is so scenic, you are truly on vacation. Kids loved all the pool toys available and probably tried out every single one. Took the dog and kids for walks on the vast property, visited with the horsed and llamas, let the dog cool down in the river and just enjoyed our afternoon. The drive into Kamloops for dinner was not long at all but then we never felt like being in a rush...
Other than having noisy neighbours for the first part of the evening (probably more audible through connecting doors?), we enjoyed a very quiet and restful night. Beds are wonderful with good mattresses and fluffy duvets. Got to wake up to the lovely view of the river and my husband getting fresh coffee from the lobby (which is much better than what those in-room coffee makers could produce, although I have to admit, I like my coffee stronger but that's just me...). They even offer to bring coffee to your room but the lobby was so close, I would have felt silly bothering anyone for that.
Check out was quick, easy and very friendly. From there it was only a hop and a skip to the Wildlife Park, which we had planned to visit that day.
Even though we only spent one night, the hotel and grounds are so lovely with so much to enjoy, it feels we truly had our getaway in such a short time. We will be back for sure, hopefully not driven away by fires again!

Room Tip: We preferred the river view and did not mind the faint sound of highway and trains. But if that bot...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW how awesome. What a great review. You totally get why we are here. As our guest you can spend their time and money anywhere you chose and when you spend it here and we don’t let you down I love it.
I am so happy our property and team was able to offer you such a great escape. Hope to see you again and I also hope it is not because you are driven away by fires. Thanks you for your review!
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were in a tour group of 30. Very efficient hotel entry,luggage etc. Hotel building,grounds including river views are grand, extremely pleasant and picturesque.Staff attitude very welcoming and competent especially dealing with dietary requirements of a large group.

Room Tip: We were close to entrance /bar etc . no disturbance during one night stay.rooms facing river and ups...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I so love the title of your review! Thank you so very much for writing a review on Tripadvisor, we really appreciate it! Happy you noticed the luggage service. We try to get the luggage to the room by the time you get there. Fun for us and great guest service. Our Executive Chef and our team always alert for food safe issues.
Thanks David