“Great hotel, not so great restaurant.”

South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for a night on our drive through Kamloops and decided to stay at the hotel after looking through tripadvisor. Check-in was a breeze, the front staff was helpful and friendly and the surroundings of the hotel were gorgeous. Our room was "kitschy" and cute and fit the ranch style of the hotel. All was great until dinner - our server was friendly and efficient but the food, oh the food. Dried out chicken, cold...it definitely left a lot to be desired. We were actually surprised for the beauty of the hotel that the food was so disappointing. Maybe we just had an inexperienced chef that night! Otherwise, great experience!

Stayed: August 2014
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. We sure appreciate your positive comments. I would like to apologize about your less than perfect meal. I sure hope you mentioned this to your server so they could make it right for you. .
A restaurant is difficult to be 100% all the time although we sure try. We have had a couple food complaints lately and I have discussed this with Brenda our Executive Chef. New staff. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Generally we are known for great food.
Hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for South Thompson Inn & Conference Center

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed three nights at the South Thompson Inn, with a young family aged 7 and 9. We found the staff on the front desk very efficient and very helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable with beautiful views of the river. The staff in the restaurant were brilliant, making my daughter pasta with simple tomato sauces even though it wasn't on the menu. A very restful three nights that felt like home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you for choosing us for a family getaway. I am happy to hear that you felt very taken care off. Hopefully we never say “no” to our guests and your experience with our restaurant is sure what we strive for. Hope to see you and your family again!
Thanks David

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I found the staff here to be excellent. They were very nice and always willing to help with a smile.

I did find the rooms to be out dated and tired. They were kept very clean tho and the pool was very clean although the hot tub looked like it could use a water change.

Overall location is picturesque, it's a very good location for peace and quiet. If you want to be close to it all this isn't the location. If you're looking for a peaceful get away with great staff, this is the spot.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Doug_and_Karey-lyn
STIGR, Owner at South Thompson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Our team never tires of hearing that they are excellent, thank you!
Some, very few, of our rooms need to re-done. The original property was 100% Laura Ashley. Not my style then, even worse now. I hope the last of them will be redone this winter.
So most have been redone and we would be happy to make sure you get one next time you stay with us. Every room is different. We have a photo book of all our rooms at the front desk.

Our hot tub is bordered by trees which unfortunately in the wind does impact our tub. We try to keep the cover on as much as possible. I assure you it is clean and healthy. I do not want to remove the beautiful trees.

Peaceful and relaxing are words we hear a lot. Thanks for mentioning

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The front desk gentleman was fabulous and welcoming and the lounge ladies were good. The location is pretty amazing however the hotel is showing its age. Our room had cleanliness issues. Beds were comfy and triple sheeting is wonderful. Ok place to stay if you get a deal.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for commenting on Tripadvisor. I am happy you enjoyed our customer service and our comfy beds. Please call and ask to speak to me about your room condition, we strive very hard to keep our rooms spotless and as you have read on other comments we succeed the majority of time. I don’t know what room you were in so cannot comment but we do have a few original “Laura Ashley” rooms which to me were dated when new. I am getting this comment more often lately so better get rid of them soon. Hopefully a couple more this winter. Thank you again!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had our wedding here last June 21st 2014 and we stayed at the Manor House. We would say we are very happy to picked this venue for our wedding it's was perfect!!!. An all in one place!!! Great view, awesome staffs service and superb foods!!! Highly recommend this place!!!

Corey and Girly
Kamloops,BC

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for highly recommending us, It makes all of us so happy to hear this! I also want to thank you for choosing us for your very special day. The Manor House does work great for family groups, especially weddings. I will share the “awesome staff and superb foods” comment with our team. They will love it. Congratulations on your wedding!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

It's a lovely hotel and it must have been quite a concept in it's day. The location is by far the prettiest location in Kamloops and if you're there to golf what does anything else matter. At the onset, we did not get any service at entering the hotel. No one there was there to greet us, direct us or help us with our luggage. We parked on our own and made several trips back and forth. I specifically asked for a quiet room not facing the golf course but as I was traveling with a pet I gather I didn't have a choice and I indeed got the short end of the stick, not only did I choose a night where people wanted to party but my room was located in front of the ice machine. The room lacked things like water or coffee service. The beds must be either flipped or replaced. They are lumpy as so are the pillows. I wanted to swim but the swimming pool was tiny and occupied with children so I thought I'd sit on the patio and have a drink but I wasn't approached. The staff were in the bar talking to each other...perhaps I had to order at the bar...they could have advised me. The hotel is unique and very clean but it's tired and it desperately needs a bit of a renovation not to mention service...not the worse night I've spent in a hotel but definitely not the best.

Room Tip: Not sure if you have a choice if you travel with a pet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turnbsy

I am sorry but it seems we did nothing right for you. You sure received a different experience than almost everyone else. Sure wish you had spoken with me.
Did you ask for service for the areas you said were lacking. If you did and were refused I would sure like to know about it as we never refuse to help our guests with luggage or whatever else they need.
We have a large parking lot right at our entrance and with us parking is free.
Every room has very drinkable water but I agree no coffee in the rooms. Much better complimentary coffee on the bar every morning and always available upon request.
Wish I knew what room you stayed in as we just recently replace all our pillows and we mostly hear how comfortable our beds are.
We are well known for guest service so it would be helpful if I knew what night you were ignored.
This is the first I heard of your difficult night with us. Did you mention it to anyone while here?
Sorry about your experience with us and hope the rest of your trip went better.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was an anniversary get away and the staff were just wonderful. Special arrangements were made for us to have a room with a jacuzzi tub in our room and a beautiful river view. The room had an A/C which worked terrific on the 36 C day, thank goodness! Unfortunately it was too hot to visit the llamas or horses so we spent some time walking around the grounds catching shade under the trees. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We enjoyed the comfortable beds and linens. The amenities were very good. We ordered Iced Tea at the bar and it was perfect! The customer service was just wonderful right from the front desk staff members to the bar staff and the restaurant staff we were so pleased. The only down side of this accommodation was the lack of fridge and coffee maker in our room. We ended up driving to Tim Hortons, 15 min away for coffee after dinner as the one we ordered with our dinner wasn't quite enough for us. Overall I would recommend this place to others for the privacy and intimacy this Inn creates.

Room Tip: River View Room with Shared balcony & Jacuzzi tub, if available.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I really enjoyed reading your very positive comments about your stay with us. Especially the quality of our service .Thank you!

Next time you stay with us please ask for a mini fridge to be put in your room for your arrival. I am disappointed you felt you had to leave to get enough coffee. We obviously did not handle this correctly. We would have been happy to make you a pot of coffee for your room after your dinner or any time., Next time please ask for that as well. Hope to see you on a cooler day so you can enjoy the llamas and horses.