“The lovely plaza hotel”

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“The lovely plaza hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the plaza as an overnight stop in may. Lovely refurbished hotel with nice rooms. Meals were delightful, staff were friendly and courteous and helpful. Would recommend as an overnight stay or longer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear James T

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am very happy to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in the very near future.

Shatha Al-Reihani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have been travelling 34 countries over the last decade staying in all kinds of hotels.
Never before have I experienced such a poor customer service at all.
After thirteen hours and three flights I arrived around 8pm for check in.
They did not have me in their system and therefore weren't expecting me.
Ok, s**t happens!
The receptionist suggested to book me in as a „walk-in“ which got me a little upset as I clearly had a confirmed booking at a bargain rate (the reason for losing my reservation???).
After quite a while (me being persistent) and lots of phone calls going up the chain of authority they suddenly found the reservation and booked me in as stated on my confirmation. „Sorry, a glitch!“
So I went to my room and was quite happy with it: small but tidy, not the best view (parking lot) but a comfy bed and a huge 40 inch flat screen, tea and coffee making facilities, a small fridge, free wifi (strong signal) and an ok bathroom (shower) made up for the bad first impression.
As I intented to do some serious hiking in the area I thought I might as well stay a couple of nights extra and booked the same deal again.
I told reception to make sure not to lose this reservation again and to let me stay without switching rooms in between. „No problem!“
Some very nice days passed by and unfortunately the day of me checking out had arrived.
When I woke up I saw my invoice lying on the floor (they slide the invoice under your door at night to make the check out process faster – a good thing one should think).
The invoice stated a final amount which was nearly 200 Dollars higher (for a six night stay) than the confirmed rate I booked. I then dropped the invoice at reception telling her to „fix“ it (she was on the phone) and went for breakfast. When I returned she said she could reduce the amount but it was still a lot more than the total amount stated on my original confirmation. „My boss says it is not commissionable“
I told her again and again that I would not accept this.
Since I work in hotel business myself for more than 13 years I do know that the hotels have to pay commission (usually 10 to 15 %) for receiving bookings through channels like Expedia, booking.com or hrs.com. The commission IS NEVER TO BE PASSED DOWN TO THE CUSTOMER on top of a final rate. Every decent manager should know that and honor that.
I had the clear impression that the poor receptionist was forced to do that by the management.
Out of a sudden a guy as slippery as an eel (dressed like a plumber or mechanic) appeared, always repeating the sentence „we honor your booking“ (he was not management that's for sure). If you did, why are we having this conversation? As fast as he showed up he was gone again without giving me the opportunity to talk (another thing that I hate: treating the customers as if they were stupid). Finally it was agreed to charge me the amount I had on paper all the time but it totally ruined my experience. When I left, the receptionists looked kind of sad and I am pretty sure that it was the management that forced them to try to rip me off (I cannot prove it though).
So Mrs. Shatha Al-Reihani, I hope you do read this (since I have not seen you once in six days and was told you were not available) and I hope you do not punish your receptionists but the person who is responsible for such a policy (I do hope it is not yourself). And please do not tell me that it was a misunderstanding as my booking confirmation was at your desk and in your system ALL the time!
If you want to have a hassle free time in Kamloops do yourself a favor and DO go somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DarkPassenger23
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear valued guest - DarkPassenger23

First, I would like to sincerely apologize for your check in experience especially after such a long trip. Yes, we should have had your reservation in the system and had your room ready for your arrival. However, the website you booked your reservation, sent your confirmation to an email that has been deleted for 3 years and therefore, we never received your reservation… and that is the glitch… it was not because it was a bargain rate, we lost your reservation as you have stated in your review! We offer these bargains to entice people to stay with us!

Thank you for rating us so high in all areas except for service and mainly because of your check out experience. You mentioned in your review: “I told reception to make sure not to lose this reservation again and to let me stay without switching rooms in between”… and she did, she extended your stay and kept you in the same room but then you went and booked your room again using the same website which caused the issue.

Nonetheless, it was a “communication issue”... Our staff tried to explain that we would honour your bookings and rates but you refused to accept it…

May I also share some facts:
You mentioned in your review that: “a guy as slippery as an eel (dressed like a plumber or mechanic) appeared, always repeating the sentence „we honor your booking“ (he was not management that's for sure)”… Well, he is our Executive Chef and part of our Executive Team; he was on his way to put his white coat on... and he tried his best to explain to you that we would honour your booking and rates.

You mentioned: “I am pretty sure that it was the management that forced them to try to rip me off (I cannot prove it though)”… Well, I am glad you acknowledged that you “cannot prove it” because this, by no means, was our intention.

You mentioned: “So Mrs. Shatha Al-Reihani, I hope you do read this (since I have not seen you once in six days and was told you were not available)…. And please do not tell me that it was a misunderstanding as my booking confirmation was at your desk and in your system ALL the time!” Well, I am in the hotel for at least 14 hours a day including weekends and always available to meet with guests… and I did not have your confirmation on my desk until I saw your review.

You mentioned: “Since I work in hotel business myself for more than 13 years”… Well, if you have worked in our industry for 13 years, then you should know that the Front Desk staff report to a Front Office Manager. You should also know that the General Manager does not get a copy of all the reservations that come to the hotel.

We, at The Plaza Hotel are ladies & gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen! I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel if it is based on mutual respect.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Spent one night in Kamloops as a stopover from the Rockies to Vancouver and ended-up in one of the nicest hotels during our whole trip! I really loved the historic charm of this gem of a place, our room was small but so charming and comfortable. I mean I just loved everything about this hotel!! We enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant just as much as talking to some very interesting and unique people working there. I can recommend the Plaza a 100%!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest - Munichbee

Wow what a great review! You made my day! Thank you so much for rating us 5 out of 5 in all areas; people like you make us successful!

On behalf of the entire staff of The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel sometime soon.

Wish you all the best Munichbee.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in Kamloops on business a couple of weeks ago and found The Plaza Hotel. We have been coming to Kamloops for many years and thought we'd try something new. Boy were we blown away by this gem! It is definitely a classic, but has been beautifully brought into this century while keeping its character. Victoria street has been undergoing a renaissance and has some lovely shops and restaurants. Not huge, but very pleasant. We will definitely stay there again...

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Yvonne

I love reading reviews like yours... it brings joy to my heart! I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed "this gem".

Thank you for taking the time to review us and on behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel sometime soon.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed a quick two nights in Kamloops and chose the Plaza. Room was small but bright and very nice decor! The complimentary breakfast was mediocre, luckily Hello Toast was right across the street :) What made my stay was the front desk staff, they were so helpful and kind, they held my bags while I ran errands, always remembered my name, made taxi arrangements for my early morning flight and even packed me a breakfast! All in all a good stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Becky

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us... Our Front Desk were delighted to read your review; our goal is to have our guests enjoy a "worry free" stay with us! and we certainly achieved our goal!

As for our free breakfast, we are the only hotel in downtown Kamloops that offers "complimentary" hot breakfast made-to-order. It includes eggs, bacon, sausages, hash-browns, fruits, yogurt, cereal, muffins, croissant and 5 different kinds of breads, butter, jam, tea, coffee and juices. May I ask you what else we should add to this menu so it won't be perceived as mediocre.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel sometime soon.

Williams Lake
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed during the week found our room to be very comfortable. Not much street noise and the hotel itself was quiet. The free breakfasts were absolutely great. I did not get the name of the person on the desk when we checked in but she was fast friendly and efficient. Only complaint no ice bucket in the room. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred R
Dear Fred

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked our free breakfasts. The lady who checked you in was Cara Haughton, our Front Office Manager and she was delighted to hear your compliments.

You will be pleased to know that "all" our guest rooms have ice buckets; either in the cabinet or on the shelf... For your future visits, I kindly ask you to call our Front Desk and they will help you.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of an event that was held in their ballroom. Great hotel. Small quiet rooms with good mattresses. Price was very reasonable. Lots o parking available in the lot beside the hotel will be going back next time we need a hotel to stay in.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evan-canadian
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear valued guest - Evan-canadian

Thank you so much for a great review and for rating us 5 out of 5.