“OK for everything you need”
Review of The Plaza Hotel

The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Great location and the 540 hotel over the road quoted 75$ more! Happy to negotiate a good rate and you get free international calls! Just think of that if you want to phone long distance! Free use of fitness centre at local YMCA . Lovely staff. Only small grumble is the bath towels are very small!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank kootenaylass
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Ms. Julia Smith

Thank you so much for your review. I am very pleased to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. The rooms were perfectly appointed, the location was great and staff wonderful. The history of the hotel lends to it's charm and seeing original details makes the history come to life. The restaurant was delicious- we had supper there both nights and weren't disappointed. Greatly appreciate the gluten free options. We would definitely stay there again if we visit this beautiful city in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest - JandHOttawa_Canada

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and giving us 5 out of 5 in all areas. I am thrilled to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel as in the size, prize and cleanliness of the rooms, the staff is friendly and very helpfull, parking right next door and a very good restaurant. Though if you are a light sleeper you will not be happy here as the walls are so thin that it seems like the snoring neighbour is right there in the room with you...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AniqueJ

Dear valued guest - AniqueJ

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with a snoring neighbour! This is the first time we come across such a complaint.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed 1 nights. Easy to find and good location everything in close walking distance. Public Car park next to hotel not free, got discount from hotel$8.96 24 hrs. Reception area very smart with water feature and seating. Offered in room free international and mobile phone calls. Room was very small with 1 bed very comfortable and clean. Bathroom was small clean with toiletries and hair dryer, only had shower. Large screen tv in bedroom with chair, fridge, and coffee facilities. No Safe. Wifi was free and slow. The breakfast was very good, choice of full or continental. Would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear valued guest - marieanddon

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and giving us 5 out of 5. I am thrilled to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities... and thank you for recommending our hotel too.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the plaza as an overnight stop in may. Lovely refurbished hotel with nice rooms. Meals were delightful, staff were friendly and courteous and helpful. Would recommend as an overnight stay or longer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear James T

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am very happy to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have been travelling 34 countries over the last decade staying in all kinds of hotels.
Never before have I experienced such a poor customer service at all.
After thirteen hours and three flights I arrived around 8pm for check in.
They did not have me in their system and therefore weren't expecting me.
Ok, s**t happens!
The receptionist suggested to book me in as a „walk-in“ which got me a little upset as I clearly had a confirmed booking at a bargain rate (the reason for losing my reservation???).
After quite a while (me being persistent) and lots of phone calls going up the chain of authority they suddenly found the reservation and booked me in as stated on my confirmation. „Sorry, a glitch!“
So I went to my room and was quite happy with it: small but tidy, not the best view (parking lot) but a comfy bed and a huge 40 inch flat screen, tea and coffee making facilities, a small fridge, free wifi (strong signal) and an ok bathroom (shower) made up for the bad first impression.
As I intented to do some serious hiking in the area I thought I might as well stay a couple of nights extra and booked the same deal again.
I told reception to make sure not to lose this reservation again and to let me stay without switching rooms in between. „No problem!“
Some very nice days passed by and unfortunately the day of me checking out had arrived.
When I woke up I saw my invoice lying on the floor (they slide the invoice under your door at night to make the check out process faster – a good thing one should think).
The invoice stated a final amount which was nearly 200 Dollars higher (for a six night stay) than the confirmed rate I booked. I then dropped the invoice at reception telling her to „fix“ it (she was on the phone) and went for breakfast. When I returned she said she could reduce the amount but it was still a lot more than the total amount stated on my original confirmation. „My boss says it is not commissionable“
I told her again and again that I would not accept this.
Since I work in hotel business myself for more than 13 years I do know that the hotels have to pay commission (usually 10 to 15 %) for receiving bookings through channels like Expedia, booking.com or hrs.com. The commission IS NEVER TO BE PASSED DOWN TO THE CUSTOMER on top of a final rate. Every decent manager should know that and honor that.
I had the clear impression that the poor receptionist was forced to do that by the management.
Out of a sudden a guy as slippery as an eel (dressed like a plumber or mechanic) appeared, always repeating the sentence „we honor your booking“ (he was not management that's for sure). If you did, why are we having this conversation? As fast as he showed up he was gone again without giving me the opportunity to talk (another thing that I hate: treating the customers as if they were stupid). Finally it was agreed to charge me the amount I had on paper all the time but it totally ruined my experience. When I left, the receptionists looked kind of sad and I am pretty sure that it was the management that forced them to try to rip me off (I cannot prove it though).
So Mrs. Shatha Al-Reihani, I hope you do read this (since I have not seen you once in six days and was told you were not available) and I hope you do not punish your receptionists but the person who is responsible for such a policy (I do hope it is not yourself). And please do not tell me that it was a misunderstanding as my booking confirmation was at your desk and in your system ALL the time!
If you want to have a hassle free time in Kamloops do yourself a favor and DO go somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DarkPassenger23
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear valued guest - DarkPassenger23

First, I would like to sincerely apologize for your check in experience especially after such a long trip. Yes, we should have had your reservation in the system and had your room ready for your arrival. However, the website you booked your reservation, sent your confirmation to an email that has been deleted for 3 years and therefore, we never received your reservation… and that is the glitch… it was not because it was a bargain rate, we lost your reservation as you have stated in your review! We offer these bargains to entice people to stay with us!

Thank you for rating us so high in all areas except for service and mainly because of your check out experience. You mentioned in your review: “I told reception to make sure not to lose this reservation again and to let me stay without switching rooms in between”… and she did, she extended your stay and kept you in the same room but then you went and booked your room again using the same website which caused the issue.

Nonetheless, it was a “communication issue”... Our staff tried to explain that we would honour your bookings and rates but you refused to accept it…

May I also share some facts:
You mentioned in your review that: “a guy as slippery as an eel (dressed like a plumber or mechanic) appeared, always repeating the sentence „we honor your booking“ (he was not management that's for sure)”… Well, he is our Executive Chef and part of our Executive Team; he was on his way to put his white coat on... and he tried his best to explain to you that we would honour your booking and rates.

You mentioned: “I am pretty sure that it was the management that forced them to try to rip me off (I cannot prove it though)”… Well, I am glad you acknowledged that you “cannot prove it” because this, by no means, was our intention.

You mentioned: “So Mrs. Shatha Al-Reihani, I hope you do read this (since I have not seen you once in six days and was told you were not available)…. And please do not tell me that it was a misunderstanding as my booking confirmation was at your desk and in your system ALL the time!” Well, I am in the hotel for at least 14 hours a day including weekends and always available to meet with guests… and I did not have your confirmation on my desk until I saw your review.

You mentioned: “Since I work in hotel business myself for more than 13 years”… Well, if you have worked in our industry for 13 years, then you should know that the Front Desk staff report to a Front Office Manager. You should also know that the General Manager does not get a copy of all the reservations that come to the hotel.

We, at The Plaza Hotel are ladies & gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen! I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel if it is based on mutual respect.

Wish you all the best.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Spent one night in Kamloops as a stopover from the Rockies to Vancouver and ended-up in one of the nicest hotels during our whole trip! I really loved the historic charm of this gem of a place, our room was small but so charming and comfortable. I mean I just loved everything about this hotel!! We enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant just as much as talking to some very interesting and unique people working there. I can recommend the Plaza a 100%!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest - Munichbee

Wow what a great review! You made my day! Thank you so much for rating us 5 out of 5 in all areas; people like you make us successful!

On behalf of the entire staff of The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel sometime soon.

Wish you all the best Munichbee.