The Plaza Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Fountain Motel(Kamloops)
Grandview Motel(Kamloops)
View Hotel
All reviewsheritage hotelfree international callsdowntown kamloopsone nightcharming hotelrooms are smallrestaurant downstairsbreakfast was includedliquor storestreet noiseolder hotelcentral locationhash brownsvictoria streetriverside parkhot breakfastcomfortable room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Normally, I would have given this hotel a 4/5 rating on pretty well everything. It was clean, friendly and what you would hope for. However, the performance of the staff during a minor kitchen fire was excellent, so I would bump the rating up on that basis. They checked everyone was clear, obtained blankets & water for those who needed them, kept us informed, all the while maintaining a cheerful disposition.
Well done, guys.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank aspringa
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear valued guest - aspringa

I am very blessed to have such a great team and your review made our staff really happy. our goal is to provide our guests with a safe stay, the finest in service and personal attention.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen at The Plaza Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was a rare occasion where the website actually didn't do the hotel justice—it was much nicer than I had anticipated! A true gem in Kamloops. I would not hesitate to stay here again the next time I find myself in Kamloops.

We arrived late in the evening, tired after a long day of driving. The reception staff was very friendly (gave our dog a treat), and notified us that we were upgraded to a larger room as there were no standard dog-friendly rooms available—bonus!

The rooms were very clean, comfortably air conditioned and cozy. The complimentary breakfast was good, and the check-out/check-in process easy. An employee recommended a lovely park nearby where I could walk the dog which was much appreciated.

A couple things to be aware of (as other reviewers have mentioned): parking is in a lot next to the hotel—we had no trouble finding a spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lot gets filled fairly quickly at busier times of the year. The elevator is also very small, which is not unheard of for a historical hotel like this one—if you have very large suitcases, you may need to make two trips.

Room Tip: Dog-friendly rooms are not the gross, stained carpet rooms you can expect at other hotels. They've replaced the hardwood with carpet, so there was not a stain in sight and the floor were impeccably clean!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cmm740

Dear valued guest - vmm740

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and giving us 5 out of 5. I am thrilled to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities. I would also like to thank you for recommending our hotel.

Our goal is to provide our guests with a safe stay, the finest in service and personal attention.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Thought this hotel would be cute and boutique like since it has been around since like 1928. I will start with the good stuff. The room was cute and clean, bed was comfy. They offer full breakfast from the Fireside Restaurant and a 10% discount at the liquor store in the building.
Now for the bad, parking is horrendous! they have a small lot right beside the hotel (actually an impark lot, so not owned by them) We had to pay $8/day to park. When we returned to the hotel one night they were having a wedding and thus...no parking available. We mentioned this to the front desk and they said they had a lot a couple blocks away that we could park in. At midnight in the rain when we were checking out the next morning....NO THANK YOU. The elevator also breaks down all the time, which sucks when staying on the 5th floor.

All in all not terrible but I really feel it should be about $30 cheaper per night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jyllean N
ThePlazaKamloops, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear valued guest - Jyllean N

Thank you so much for your review and for mentioning the positive "good stuff" that we have control over... I have passed your comments to Impark as they manage the lot.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Great location and the 540 hotel over the road quoted 75$ more! Happy to negotiate a good rate and you get free international calls! Just think of that if you want to phone long distance! Free use of fitness centre at local YMCA . Lovely staff. Only small grumble is the bath towels are very small!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank kootenaylass

Dear Ms. Julia Smith

Thank you so much for your review. I am very pleased to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. The rooms were perfectly appointed, the location was great and staff wonderful. The history of the hotel lends to it's charm and seeing original details makes the history come to life. The restaurant was delicious- we had supper there both nights and weren't disappointed. Greatly appreciate the gluten free options. We would definitely stay there again if we visit this beautiful city in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest - JandHOttawa_Canada

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and giving us 5 out of 5 in all areas. I am thrilled to hear about your experience and how you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.

Wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza Hotel in the near future.