“Ignore the bad reviews, clean and comfortable stay downtown”

Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 17 July 2011

On our way back from jasper we decided to spend a night in Kamloos and stayed at Howard Johnson Downtown. I read some bad reviews on my iphone and was bit concerned but this hotel definetly impressed us. Surprisinly very large lobby, front office staff was very friendly and offered to carry our luggage upstairs. Rooms had 1 queen size bed with a computer desk. Overall clean carpets, comfortbal beds,, bathroom was clean and tv and internet worked fine, so no problems at all. OH free breakfast definlety saved 10 bucks for us. My recemmendations, this is the best location and accommodation if you looking for room under 90 bucks

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FromWindsor

Reviewed 6 July 2011

I was on tour to Canada and thats too for the first time, after leaving Vancouver we spent night in Kamloops and had a stay at Howard Johnson on columbia street. It was very nice place and everbody was very friendly and helpful. As i was not aware of any place they helped me find many lovely shops, it was sweet. I stayed there again on my way back to Vancouver airport and it was again nice as earlier. I also liked the breakfast and it was lovely making the waffles in the morning. I would like to invite everybody to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nileshkukreja
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I had made a booking at this hotel in the hopes of staying at a solid, basic hotel for 3 nights for a family reunion. We're a young family on a budget, and I thought that staying with a "name" like HoJo would be a safer bet than going to an independent motel. (Mistake #1).

It looks old from the curb, but it's in a downtown location so an older building is to be expected. Check-in went smoothly, until I went to look at the room. The room we had been assigned was in terrible condition, there's no way it had been renovated any time recently, much less in 2006 as is stated on their website. I was not impressed, and I let the clerk know. He said, rather indifferently, that it was a 2-1/2 star hotel so "what do you expect?". I asked if I could cancel the booking & payment without penalty, to which he said he'd have to ask the manager and get back to me in *the morning*! Against my better judgement, we decided to stay there anyways (Mistake #2).

To put it bluntly, this is a 1 - 1 1/2 star motel. There's no way it's 2 1/2 stars, as they don't offer anything above any of the multitude of other basic motels that are available in Kamloops. They probably only have the extra stars because they are affiliated with Howard Johnson's.

Our biggest complaint is that my wife has obtained more than thirty bites from what our doctor believes are bedbugs. Unfortunately, as the bite symptoms didn't appear in earnest until after we'd left the hotel we weren't able to take a look for the little critters ourselves. The manager (Harry) that I've spoken to on the phone has patently denied they have any problems, despite claiming our specific room (211) was inspected for bedbugs only a month before because someone in there was "sick". Given our phone conversations, I'm not hopeful for any meaningful resolution to our complaint.

Among my rather long list of other complaints about this property:

- Shabby carpet with old gum stuck on it.
- Broken smoke detector
- Several non-functional electrical recepticles
- Rusting Bathroom sink
- Peeling laminate on the bathroom counter
- Pieces falling off of the bathtub fixtures
- Tiny TV with snowy reception
- Loud A/C
- Old mattresses
- Terribly dim lighting
- Poorly functioning telephone and wi-fi internet
- Indifferent staff response (or lack thereof) to my complaints

The few (mildly) positive features:
- decent breakfast is included, although the breakfast room is tiny and seats only 10 people.
- free parking close to the hospital, if that's why you're in town
- you get free local and toll-free calls (if you can get the phone to work)

In short, don't stay here. Either fork out the extra dollars and stay at a real 3+ star hotel, or save some money and pay only the 1-1/2 star price somewhere else. Don't get ripped off here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vanbigslick
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I have attached photos of our experience, otherwise you'd never believe it. In summary the room was absolutely repugnant. The entire room had a disgusting pungent foul odor, there was dried up snot in the ice bucket (photo), the floor looked like it hadn't been vacuumed for quite some time (photo), the bathroom sink had mold growing in it , the sink was rusting away (photo), the 20 year old laminate was coming away from the bathroom sink (photo), dirty stained towels (photo) and the bed sheets were threadbare and had holes forming the size of your hand (photo), the feathers in the pillow had congealed together from the years of sweat of guests and somebody had done a "number two" in the toilet without flushing it, the toilet paper and it was all there waiting for us (no need to traumatize you with photos of that). This room was so bad, I woke up with tonsillitis after a single night there.

The price was only $10 or so cheaper than the other hotels and believe me it's worth the extra money. This place was so bad I've taken photos or nobody would believe you.

Room Tip: The Sandman Inn next door is great
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J_Samsa
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The Howard Johnson Kamloops Downtown is one of the least expensive decent places to stay in downtown Kamloops - which is why I chose it. I paid about $70 including tax. Parking, wi-fi, and continental breakfast are free.

The location is very convenient - Columbia Street is a major thoroughfare (attention: BC drivers are a bit crazy, you'll get cut off in downtown Kamloops many, many times) with one motel after the other. It only takes ten minutes to walk to Victoria Street which is the city's restaurant and bar district.

The rooms are clean but the whole building is a bit run-down. Howard Johnson claims that this place was fully renovated five years ago but, honestly, there are many things that could be improved: the paint job looks like I did it, the same goes for the A/C units. The stairs that lead up to the upper level are exposed concrete that shows all the evidence of many, many years of heavy use. As I already wrote, this place is definitely not dirty, but everything looks rather worn out and sloppily made.

The ceiling/floor is made from wood, implying that on the ground floor you can hear every step that somebody in the room above you makes. Therefore, unless you are from England, make sure to get a room on the upper level. Apart from that it is surprisingly quiet despite its location in the middle of everything.

Internet access worked very well. The front desk manager was very helpful. Continental breakfast was simple but sufficient (and good) - they offer orange juice, cranberry juice, coffee, white toast, whole-wheat toast, mini bagels, various types of jams (and of course butter), three types of cereal (one of which corn flakes), and DIY waffles.

So overall, it is a no-frills place to stay that is certainly anything but fancy but it has a good location, is clean and affordable, and good amenities. If you are looking for budget accommodation in downtown Kamloops this is a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I only paid $69 for the night so I wasn't expecting much and it met my expectations. Cleanliness was ok. It is hard to get rooms that are in need of renovation completely clean but if they were to renovate it I am sure the rates would go up. The free breakfast was good and the breakfast area was very clan and tidy. Staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I travel with my friends at this hotel, Building was lil old, but renovated inside rooms, like to stay again, close to the downtown, friendly customer service with best price, Breakfast, Free Wi-Fi Internet, Free parking close to the Hospital, Denny's Restaurant close by. I like the place no matter someone don't like or say whatever

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends