“A great budget option”

Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 2 July 2009

If you are looking for decent economical accommodation in Kamloops, I can advice Howard Johnson Inn Kamloops Downtown. My wife Olga and I were in town for a friend's wedding and we were looking for a hotel room for 2 days. Being honest, Howard Johnson wasn’t our first choice. There was no vacancy at the hotel we were planning to stay. Anyways, the room that we stayed in was very clean. The manager was very informative about the city and even printed us a copy of weather report for the day ahead. The cleaning lady was exceptional, she ironed the shirt that I wore in the wedding – We were in a rush and neither I nor Olga knew how to iron. I would definitely recommend staying in Howard Johnson Downtown if you find yourself in Kamloops.

1  Thank Chuck82
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops

Reviewed 12 June 2009

Now, I'm not a travel snob like most people who post reviews here (even with their horrible grammar and misspellings), but I expect certain standards, even at a 2-star hotel.

We arrived at past midnight after a 10-hour drive. So we had to push the after-hours call button outside to get check-in service in the locked and dark lobby. It had been a long day, and we were tired. The clerk came out, turned the lights on, unlocked the door, and we checked in just fine.

So here goes: When we entered our room, the kitchenette faucet was leaking a small stream. We could only tighten it far enough so that it remained dripping the rest of the stay. Our room smelled of cigarette smoke, especially the bathroom. Even though it was about 1 a.m., I called the front desk and asked if our room was non-smoking. He assured me that it was. I'm guessing some guests were smoking in their bathrooms which leaked into our bathroom by way of the ventilation system. The air conditioner was extremely loud, even at its lowest setting, yet it couldn't cool the room down efficiently. So it was hard to either sleep with it turned off in a warm room or turned on as loud as it was. Finally, and most disgustingly, the toilet tank would not fill up with water and had to be manually tinkered with after EVERY flush. That meant we had to remove the tank lid, reach in, and manipulate the water-filling mechanism.

Even after complaining about the smoky smell, the faulty toilet, and the leaky faucet during check-out, we never got an apology or any type of refund, discount, or gift certificate. After a long trip and a very late check-in, we thought we would get a relieving stay and a good night's sleep before heading out for another 10-hour drive, and if not, then at least get something back. Sure, the room only cost $61 total, but even $10 off would've been enough to appease me.

By the way, the hotel IS supposed to be entirely non-smoking, according to a sign in their lobby. Also, the website says that the hotel "was totally renovated in 2006." A.D. or B.C.? The kitchenette in our room looked like it was built before the hotel.

NOTE: Don't let the advertised photo fool you. The hotel is completely surrounded by other buildings, a much taller one behind it. Either the picture was taken a couple decades ago, or more likely, was edited.

2  Thank Oregonio
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Good location as only minutes walk from Victoria street where the main street is.....great one nighter when travelling as adequate and reasonably clean.........only let down was hair found in bathroom which put a downer on a very decent room and overnight stay....

Reviewed 16 February 2009

We checked in early, not really looking at the room because we had to go to my son's hockey game. We returned that evening and got settled in. VERY tiny room with 2 "sinky" double beds, the room was cold, so we turned up the heat, but the heat couldn't distribute because the curtains and one of the beds blocked it. Dirt, hair, molding coming off the floor boards. Went to make tea from the coffee maker and it hadn't been cleaned from the last time it was used. The next morning I spilled a bit of coffee on the floor, wiped it up and it was totally filthy! Toilet had not been cleaned. NO kleenex at all! We will never stay there again and hope no one else does!

Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 5 February 2009

This place was a very comfortable and clean room. It is convenient and easy access to all of the different ammenities within the downtown core of Kamloops. For those who are needing a place to stay when loved ones are in the hospital, this is also a very good convenient place to the hospital in Downtown Kamloops. It is also great for those travellers who are wanting to a good place to stay, and that is comfortable and clean. The food was also fairly reasonable for the continental breakfast. There was some minor problems associated with the room i.e.: plumbing was a bit of a problem with the toilet, and also the door didn't fully close unless you helped by closing it. But other than that it was good. That is why I gave it the average rating.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We arrived on dec 27 we have to be in kamloops to have our second baby, my wife my 19 month daughter and myself. Room was small but decent size for 55$ night. Went to give my daughter a bath and guess what. pubic hair in tub. GROSS. scratched that idea went to put her to bed guess what, CURLY hair in bed too. called manager he came right away with fresh pillow cases and said i am so very sorry this is not normal. next day asked for a complete top to bottom cleaning of room with fresh bedding even comforters and towels and scrub the tub.
Got it just fine second time around.
talked to manager about increasing my stay from the 2 jan till the 8 since we are now 2 days past due date. wife is 4 cm dialated and very sore from contractions. he kindly comped the first night and moved us into another room more floor space and bigger beds and took 5 bucks off our rate. GREAT i thought. went into room it was fresh smelling got settled in and went to check tub and guess what. HAIR AGAIN. and not only that, i scrapped my fingers on wall of tub and grey matter ended up onto my finger tips. I was grossed right out.
I went to the manager and spoke to him and no appologies he just backed away and said ``thats gross``.

This is where it gets really bad. after askign for cleaner to clean the tub cuz i already paid for room. I went back to room to talk to wife and decided screw it we are not staying here again forget the 50$. and started a case with the hojo cust care.
I asked the front desk for a complete refund as i am goign to stay somewhere else. he decided to not comp my first night and charge me $55 after making a deal to lower my rate. we argued for a lil while and when i asked him to look me in the eye and tell me he is okay with a dirty tub like that he couldnt, he looked at his computer and said its okay.
when i almost lost it and had him mentally cornered and ready to admit he has a grungfest of a hotel he responded ``if cleanliness is such an issue you should have gone up the hill and spent $150 a night`` this is the owner harry speaking to me. I said to him wow if this is how you treat your patrons and keep your hotel how is your house. his response was leaning over counter in a threatening way saying ```dont go there man just dont go there``. none the less my alpha male wanted to come out but cooler heads prevailed . I gave him one more oppourtunity on jan 5 to return my money or i am phoning all around to every affiliate to tell them and head office he said ``do what ever you want man I dont care`` and hung up.

please please pay more money and stay somewhere else

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 December 2008

I chose this motel because it was conveniently located in the downtown area. We had stayed there before, and the rooms seemed okay, if a bit expensive for that stay. This time the rates were better (off season), so we booked a room a couple of days ahead of our stay.

When we arrived we were treated so rudely, I could not believe it. I was ready to leave and go to another hotel, and then was told that even if I left they would charge my credit card for the full cost of the room.

This was totally unbelievable and they have lost my business forever!! We travel to the BC Interior at least 6 or 8 times a year, often staying in Kamloops. But I will NEVER again stay at this motel, as I refuse to be treated so rudely when I am there to spend my money at their place of business.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sallygirl277