“Security issues will prevent us from going back to the downtown HoJo”

Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops
Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Putnam, Connecticut
“Security issues will prevent us from going back to the downtown HoJo”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

Security issues are the main problem I had with this hotel. When we checked in, we were assigned a room where the deadbolt lock had been drilled out. There was also no chain or similar device on the door, so the only security was the keycard lock. Not acceptable, and the desk clerk assigned us another room without complaint. This room had a deadbolt, but there was no chain on the inside of this door either.

This might have been OK except for the outside noise during the night. Our room was in the back of the hotel, and we parked in an alley with a 10-story apartment complex directly opposite. I do not know whether the loud drunks who woke us up three times during the night were residents of those apartments or just people who liked to gather in the alley, but it was a little unsettling. I went to the peephole to take a look at my car and found that the peephole had been removed and paper stuffed into the hole. (The next morning I noticed that many of the rooms had no peepholes at all.)

The room was pretty clean, or so I thought. When we were ready to leave in the morning, I grabbed the ice bucket to get some ice for the cooler in the car, and found a couple of beer bottle caps from the previous guest. So I know there was not much attention to detail in the cleaning. The fan in the bathroom was extremely loud, and since it is on the same circuit as the bathroom light, it ran every time one of us used the facilities or showered.

Just to be clear, this is the Howard Johnson's in downtown Kamloops, not the one on the hill. I think there may be confusion in some of the other reviews of both locations.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2010

I spend alot of time in hotels, I am use to 4+ stars (I'm the princess). Because my wife is willing to stay in lesser hotels and after looking at the hotels rates on the net for Kamloops I took a chance on HoJo's mainly because I found HoJo's rates to be the average and the photos on the internet seemed to indicate the rooms were spacious.
Now for the real story....Ok, So the room at HoJo's was clean, overall maintenance is very poor (you get what you pay for). They seemed to have caulked over the black mold around the bathtub. My wife says there is a funny smell in the room, I couldn't smell anything but after leaving the room for dinner I did notice a strange odor when we returned not dirty but a disinfectant type smell.
The front desk staff were to the point did not show alot of enthusasim. The maintenace crew were busy around the building but they were very noisy running up and down the stairs which raidiated though out the hotel.
The heating and cooling unit was very loud even on low.
So overall this is not a hotel it is a motel the rating should be 2 stars the finsihes in the room are right out of the sixties. Ok there are some updates carpet and the a sony flat screen T.V. on the wall that was hung crooked and the lamps and by the way only one out of three was working.
I believe that the days of my wife wanting to stay in Economy hotels / motels has come to an end.
THanks HoJo!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KDS_10

Travellers are raving about these Kamloops hotels

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I stayed at downtown howard johnson twice with my husband within a year and all i have is praise for this motel. Look from outside may not be the best but i believe we recovered comfort for our every dollar spent. Our rate was very reasonable both time, infact cheaper second time, front desk staff is super friendly, and Tim Hortons kind of breakfast with cereals was bonus. Our room was clean and beds were comfortable and internet worked fine. This place is very easy to find coming from vancouver side, take columbia st exit and it comes right dowtown. Nothing negative to say about this place and i will recommend to everybody looking for reasonable priced accommodation downtown.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Stayed at downtown howard johnson this past december for a night with cousin. Small but very clean hotel i have to stay. Lobby is 3 times the size of any motel lobby i have seen and offers complimentry computer service. We wanted something under 100 dollars and howard johnson was perfect option for us. we only paid $75 and it included continental breakfast with 3 different kinds of cereals. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I have been to few other places that promised to offer free wireless internet and it never worked properly but surprisingly it worked all the time here and was fast.

Nothing really bad to say, i think i got what it paid and feel very satisfied. Will definetly reccommend to anybody looking for convenient and clean accommodation and stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

Where to begin..... Hm, I didn't like that hotel very much....
It's a little bit old and it needs a renovation.

The rooms are big with SAT TV and phone. The bathroom is ok, but it could be clener.
My friends bathroom was a real disater and they had a flood all over the room, but I must say that the personnel came really fast and helped out with the flood.

Some rooms have the doors to another room, so if you don't want that, tell this to the personnel.
The hotel does not have an elevator. So if you are disabled, make sure they give you the room on the floor. You don't have your own balcony, they are all together, because there in the entrance to the room from the balcony.

The hotel is near the road, but it's not very crowded.

There is internet in the lobby.

The breakfast room is really small and the breakfast is so poor.I recommend to eat it somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

This stay started out very bad, but ended okay.
I paid $84 (plus tax) - good rate, but first room they showed me was a total absolute dump. One of the worst rooms I have ever seen.
Lock was broken, so I asked for a new room. (I had decided that if they couldn't give me something decent, I was going to leave.)
Second room was better, but wifi didn't work.
Finally, the younger fellow that worked there upgraded me to the equivalent of their business suite, and I have to say it was a great room.
I don't know what that room would have cost otherwise, but I was happy with the way things turned out.
In the end, they ended up doing the right thing, but I shouldn't have had to jump through those hoops.
I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Rambling_Canuck
Abbotsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

I stayed at the howard johnson inn downtown last week with my 2 kids on our night over stay in Kamloops. After driving for more than 6 hours from edmonton we decided to find a cheap place to stay but we didn't wanna spend much either. We stopped by few other properties but rate was alot more than what we wanted to pay but then we found the howard johnson downtown. The gentleman at the front desk seemed to be very quick and knowledgeable and i was impressed that he was helpful in informing somebody else in front of us about the activities in town. We wanted a room with 2 double beds but he offered us 2 queens for the same price and the rate was about 19 dollars less than what others offered. Bonus was that the rate inlcuded continental breakfast and suprisingly the free wireless internet worked well ( for some reason i never find wireless interet working at motels). we were worried about the street noise but they seemed to have good windows and we weren't bothered at all. Our room was very decent and clean and small fridge was great to have in 36 degrees.

I don't usually write comment for my hotel stays as i travel a bit for work. But i have to say that i wasn't expecting to see what others have written about this place. This place is definetly not what others have said about it. I would definetly reccommend this hotel to people looking for cheap but clean accommodation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family