“Horrible.....Do Not Stay Here.....Dirty Rooms and BUGS”

Howard Johnson Downtown Kamloops
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This hotel is horrible, my husband and I stayed here while in Kamloops for a business trip. We booked on-line so the pictures looked pretty good and the rates were reasonable.....Well the pictures were lies and you get what you pay for. The beds were hard and the pillows were so small and lumpy it was ridiculous. But then you go into the bathroom and just about puke.....There were little black beetle looking bugs scurrying on the floor, the moldings were rotten and pulling off the wall and the soap holder in the shower was still dirty, it had old soap chunks in it and rust. The most disgusting hotel I have ever ever stayed at. DO NOT STAY HERE spend the extra $20.00 and stay at a good name brand hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 August 2010

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was concerned that I would show up to a dump of a hotel. When I arrived though, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was in a nicer condition that I thought it would be, with what appeared to be new flooring. There was a refrigerator and stove, which was also nice. The free wireless internet and the nice new tv were great perks. There was even free parking, though it was a little bit tight. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Stayed at howard johnson inn downtown with our baseball team and it was very good experience. Continental breakfast was very decent, wireless internet worked fine and this property is very convenient and only 5 minutes away from starbuks. Staff was very friendly and offered the breakfast room, without any charges, to use for get together. Denny's restaurant next door came very handy for our team the front desk staff arranged for our team to have dinner togther there with good discount for group. They informed us upon checkin to be quiet after 11 and i noticed they kept at eye around to make sure our team wasn't running around which we didn't mind. I will definetly reccommend this hojo downtown to everyone for clean room at reasonable rate.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2010

When we made the reservation for July 21, 2010, we confirmed the room had functional A/C. When we arrived, we again stressed the importance and confirmed the room had working A/C. When we entered the room we found the A/C unit barely functioning.

The desk attendant came and fiddled with the A/C unit to no avail. He agreed it was not working. We inquired to another room and were declined. My husband has Multiple Sclerosis and requires a cool enviroment, not a room to sleep in that is 81 degrees farenheit at midnight, after the A/C unit had been running for over 5 hours!

On top of an uncomfortably warm room, it was also filthy. At least the bedding was clean. The bathroom fan was missing the cover for the exhaust fan and the fan was covered in a generous layer of dust and other matter and eventually worked. The tap on the fridge/stove unit leaked all night and the fridge was not cool. The chairs were stained so we wouldn't even consider sitting on them unless they were covered. The laminate flooring was sticky feeling so we left our shoes on.

I do not feel that we got what we paid for and will not be tempted to ever book a room with HoJo ever again.

POOR ATTITUDE AND CUSTOMER Service in the downtown Howard Johnson in Kamloops!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

This hotel is easy to get to from the Trans Canada Hwy. It's nothing great to look at when you drive up. It was clean, however it is an older hotel. It has been kept up and painted and newer linens. It is an economy hotel with a few extras such as internet and continental breakfast. There is a Denny's restaurant next door.
We stayed with the intention of just stopping over on the way to Vancouver and weren't looking for anything special. The room was cleaned with an overpowering carpet cleaner and we needed to air it out before settling in.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I am from Kamloops and live in the building right behind this Howard Johnson Inn . I had to stay at this mote for one night after my apartment was evacuated due to some plumbing problems. I have to say that some negative reviews are not true about this place. I always overlook this motel and don't seems to have security problems.My building and the back side of this motel is very safe. My room seems to very clean and i did't have any other problems. My insurance company paid for my stay but i have to admit i would use this motel again if needed for my guests in future. All i wanted was comfortable bed and clean bathroom and this motel had it all. My room rental inlcuded breakfast which was very nice as i my appartment kitchen was not available. Front desk staff was very accomodating and i fully appreciate that.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Security issues are the main problem I had with this hotel. When we checked in, we were assigned a room where the deadbolt lock had been drilled out. There was also no chain or similar device on the door, so the only security was the keycard lock. Not acceptable, and the desk clerk assigned us another room without complaint. This room had a deadbolt, but there was no chain on the inside of this door either.

This might have been OK except for the outside noise during the night. Our room was in the back of the hotel, and we parked in an alley with a 10-story apartment complex directly opposite. I do not know whether the loud drunks who woke us up three times during the night were residents of those apartments or just people who liked to gather in the alley, but it was a little unsettling. I went to the peephole to take a look at my car and found that the peephole had been removed and paper stuffed into the hole. (The next morning I noticed that many of the rooms had no peepholes at all.)

The room was pretty clean, or so I thought. When we were ready to leave in the morning, I grabbed the ice bucket to get some ice for the cooler in the car, and found a couple of beer bottle caps from the previous guest. So I know there was not much attention to detail in the cleaning. The fan in the bathroom was extremely loud, and since it is on the same circuit as the bathroom light, it ran every time one of us used the facilities or showered.

Just to be clear, this is the Howard Johnson's in downtown Kamloops, not the one on the hill. I think there may be confusion in some of the other reviews of both locations.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple