“Interesting albeit small”

Kamloops Art Gallery
Ranked #24 of 81 things to do in Kamloops
More attraction details
Owner description: This art museum is the largest in the area and showcases the work of Canadian artists.
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I like how they say it is the largest in the area. It's not large at all but the space is put to good use. The price of admission also included an umbrella - sweet deal! The exhibit when I viewed was by Germaine Koh, I think an industrial engineer, with interactive exhibits related to weather. I found the falling b-b's fascinating and many of the other exhibits of interest. A clever approach to translating wind, sun and earth movements indoors in creative moving or changing objects. I was visiting from Oregon and was glad I went. If you can find the library, you've found the art gallery.

ArtMatters_Kamloops, Manager at Kamloops Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

So glad you were able to visit the Gallery and thank you for the review. I love that you did not find us large and this speaks to the wonderful galleries you must visit in your travels (Vancouver Art Gallery, Seattle Art Museum...). We are definitely large in comparison to our counterparts in Kelowna and Salmon Arm, BC. Very glad you hear you appreciated the umbrella. We look forward to seeing you here again.

All reviews
"installation"
"perspective"
"community"

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I have belonged to the excellent Kamloops Library for over 35 years. Childrens' story-times and Summer Reading Challenges, performances by musicians, free internet access...those are just some of the extras....all forms of reading are up-to-date and easily accessible.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Surprising gallery for the size of Kamloops. Great architure, located in the downtown, close to many hotels and resturants. The Gallery features a variety of art work, local, Canadian and international and has a great gift shop featuring made by hand products. The children's program looks fabulous, lucky for those who can take advantage! And it's free on Thursday through a sponsorship with BCLC. I highly recommend a visit, but check the website to see whats on as sometimes the main galleries are closed for re-installation. I loved the CUBE which exhibits the work of artists living and working in the region. Friendly staff and located in a multi-purpose building with the Kamloops Library, so took advantage and sent some email as well. Good for Kamloops!

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Was really looking forward to seeing something unique and high end and just didn't meet those expectations. It was in some disarray as they were doing some changes which defiantly took away from it.

ArtMatters_Kamloops, Manager at Kamloops Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Very sorry to hear you were disappointed. Alas, we were between shows when you visited and in spite of our efforts to do as quick a turnaround as possible, we sadly missed the opportunity to showcase our finest to you. Hopefully you'll be out this way again and you can then enjoy all the Kamloops Art Gallery offers.