“Really Nice Hotel..."BUT"”

Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travel on business a lot & I am eager to try new spots. I tried the new Sandman Signature in Kamloops. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are large & the staff are great. The on site restaurant, Sharks Club has great food & great beverage selections. You know the old saying "Location Is Everything". This is where everything goes sour. The hotel Is about 100 meters from British Columbia's busiest rail lines. Heavy freight trains go past the hotel on average every 40min 24 hours a day. So if your room is on The City side of the hotel, say goodbye to a rest full sleep. No problem you say? I'll just book a room on the park side.....Not a chance. All the park side rooms are blocked off for passengers on the "Rocky Mountain Express" So if you visit there during the tourist season your out of luck. It's really too bad, because this hotel really had potential...I suggest you give this one a pass & you should stay on the upper side of Kamloops.

Room Tip: Do not get a City Side Room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel. It certainly won't be our last stay as the service was fabulous and everyone friendly and helpful. My husband chose this for it's location as we were able to walk to anything we wanted to do from a great dinner at the Keg or a walk around downtown and the park. This meant we could both enjoy our celebration drinks and not worry about driving afterward. Jay at the front desk even upgraded us to a fabulous king suite when he found out it was our 40th anniversary. We did not find the trains kept us awake. It would be nice if there were a choice of pillows. Great for propping but not so wonderful for sleeping on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for one night. The room was spacious and nicely decorated, and being a new hotel everything was fresh and new. The staff that we met were universally charming and helpful. The location is just fine, ideally placed between the main street and the park/waterfront. I suppose my only gripe would be that, travelling with a 14 yr old, it would have been nice to be able to drop into the bar and while away the evening in a corner playing cards (it was almost 40c outside so we were pretty thirsty) but our son wasn't allowed in, thus banishing us to our room! Otherwise, it was great.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

First time at this property, have stayed at many other Signature properties. The decor was very stylish both inside the lobby and the rooms themselves. Now admittedly I had a room on the rear of the building (facing the park), I never heard a train, although a couple of times I felt trains passing, it wasn't enough to bother me.

I loved how the floor to ceiling windows opened, as the view over the park to the surrounding hills was stunning. My only complaint was that the Wifi was intermittent, especially when I was trying to work.

The shark club was a refreshing change, usually they are fairly dark, a typical 90's sports bar. The one at this property has huge 20' floor to ceiling windows, even with all the light coming in, it didn't detract from the huge tv screens.

I definitely will be staying here again when I'm in town at the end of August!

Room Tip: No issues with train noise on the park side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mat C
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Such a beautiful new property, right across from a riverside park. Staff were lovely, room was nice, bedding great. But I am mystified that anyone would build a hotel like this practically on top of railway tracks that are used 24-7. The trains were constant all night, I never slept even one minute. Definitely will not be back. Such a shame!

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side might be quieter, but I doubt it would make much difference as the train tra...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GM_SignatureKamloops, Manager at Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments. As you may know from reading other posts- depending on sleep habits- the effect varies from guest to guest when staying on the city side. Park is not effected.

Once again thanks and talk to you soon

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived on a hot afternoon, our room was ready which was good as we were tired. We were on the 6th floor, first impression of room when opening the door was getting home after a big day at work, air cons on, comfy couch, 2 TVS, great big bed and very comfy, plenty of room, kitchen well equipped, plenty of cloths cupboard space, bathroom fine, all and all very clean, the room could do with a safe. I also had some emails to attend to, WiFi is good throughout the hotel, I needed to scan some docs and Jay and Pamela couldn't do enough for me at the front desk, they made sure we were well looked after. I would stay here again, we liked it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Casino2470
GM_SignatureKamloops, Manager at Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Great to hear Jay and Pamela were able to assist you!

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us- thank you for taking the time to comment

See again soon

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

the club was so loud...even tho we were on other side of building where train was not we could still hear it! But by far the club was excessively loud from the music playing to people outside yelling until 2am...more money went to fancy lobby than size of rooms...they were small...plus being so close to train,club and park more money invested in soundproofing place would have been good idea...for money paid I won't be going back event ur tho we were told we rec'd under construction rate it was still almost 200$ a night.

Stayed: June 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience with us. Our guest rooms are on average 480 to 620 square feet and larger than typical hotel rooms in the community. Shark Club does on special occasion have live music/ DJ- the team is working on strategies on controlling crowds to reduce these types of issues. When constructing the hotel, sound proofing materials were used to reduce noise from the train and club. Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope you will try us again-

Cheers