“"All you can try to eat"”
Review of Genjie Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Genjie Japanese Restaurant
Price range: US$12 - US$16
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central City
Kelowna, Canada
“"All you can try to eat"”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Myself and my boyfriend decided to try Genjis "all you can eat" special this evening. We have not only frequently dined at Genji but order takeout to our offices as well for the past 7 years. I myself have an allergy to seaweed, thus, opt to delicious alternatives such a soy, rice, and bean paper. I regularly dine at sushi restaurants and I am never charged an extra price for a seaweed alternative nor for hot sauce sides. I was extremely disappointed with my experience. I love wine,and sake, there alone we spend at least 30.00. We are not out for a cheap discounted meal, just to be treated fairly and respectfully.
Tonight was a complete disappointment, Not only was I forced to partake in the all you can eat just so my boyfriend could , I was charged 1.00$ extra per role for my allergy and 1.00$ for any extra sauces. To make every guest partake in the all you can eat so that one person can enjoy it is horrible. I love sushi but have a preference to edamame , sunamono and soups, where as my boyfriend loves his sushi. When I barely ate any of my food as my appetite is small, ( hence why I did not want to do the all you can eat as I prefere a role or two, edamame , and sunamono salad) and asked to have my extra left over food packed ( I only ordered 2 rolls on the " all" you can eat ) as I couldn't even eat the bare minimum they said it was not an option as we got the all you can eat, which again I Was forced to have if my boyfriend wanted to enjoy it. I believe its unfair . To make matters worse the sushi we ordered was unlike any sushi we have recently received, it was an all you can eat, lower grade, sub par sushi. It was the worst sushi we have ever received anywhere, let alone we have ate at genii often and so couldn't be a one time off. The rolls were tiny flavourful less and did not represent Genjis former delicious sushi. If We had known the all you could eat came with a discounted experience and tasteless sushi I would have paid our regular bill to have a savoury delicious experience.
Unfortunately Genjis rules and policy's outshines what truly matters , happy guests, delicious food, beautiful service and a feeling of wanting to return again tomorrow.

• Visited October 2013

Cloverdale, Canada
“Great Sushi for Kelowna”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We ordered online and picked up. It was in an unassuming strip mall with a really nice inside interior.

Our order was ready for pick up - a nice party tray of various sushis. They were all amazing. The dynamite roll and the dragon roll were amazing! The only thing missing from the bag was soy sauce.

I'd recommend checking out their website and joining the club. 20% discount for ordering online is a bonus.

• Visited August 2013
“Cactus club meets Japanese nightclub.”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Foods usually pretty good but not super cheap unless you hit one of their all you can eat deals with a bog appitite. located in a pretty nasty stripmall the place is very large, w/ dark decor and typically not that full so not a very welcoming or happy atmosphere. Staff are a bit variable, have come across some surly types who obviously had better places to be. Not my first choice in sushi joints.

• Visited March 2013
Kelowna, Canada
“Upscale dining at a reasonable price”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

First visit to this restaurant tucked away in a former government building. The service was excellent and our server was friendly and quick. Our opener of a vegetarian sushi combo was offered up quickly and was enjoyed by all of us.

Then came our miso soup, good but not as satisfying as other restaurants we have visited. The sunomomo salad was above average.

For our mains, we had two bento boxes (vegetarian and teriyaki prawn) and yaki udon (beef).

The portions were large, and must admit (I had the prawn box) the variety was exceptional. Tempura (including a prawn), five 'dynamite' rolls with prawns, creamy prawns, as well as a standard salad and teriyaki prawns/veggies over rice.

The other meals were enjoyed as much as mine - and considering the reasonable prices, atmosphere and service - well worth our visit - will certainly make this a regular stop!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SeaG37
“Never again”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

The experience we had at Genjie tonight was atrocious, especially considering that we were the only table in the restaurant. It took a full half hour from when we asked for water until we got it. It took well over an hour from when we sat down for our first plate of sushi to come, which then turned out to be the wrong food. The tempura was cool, as were the spring rolls. We ate it all anyways because at that point we were nearly ready to eat the tables. It took roughly another hour for our second order of food to show up.

The sushi itself was not too bad, but certainly not worth the wait. Food quality gets at best a 2.5/5, there are much better sushi places in Kelowna. I know that without a doubt none of the people in our party will be ever returning to Genjie.

• Visited March 2013