“Would stay again in a heartbeat”
Review of Mission Park Inn

Mission Park Inn
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Toronto, Canada
“Would stay again in a heartbeat”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

In my week here I stayed in two different rooms (when I initially booked I only requested two nights with the understanding that if I was staying longer I would be moved) and both were great.

The staff were exceptional! The woman who worked the desk on the weekend was very helpful with suggestions on where I could find what I was looking for and the resident manager went way above and beyond!!! The Inn was full the whole time I was here - the fact that I was remembered and that the staff were available whenever I needed them was great. The cleaning staff were always very friendly as well.

Can't beat the location - beach across the street, walking to grocery store, Tim Horton's, 5 minute drive to downtown, etc. All ammenities at your fingertips.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Booked this hotel for several reasons, one being it's budget friendly, one being the full kitchen and lastly the proximity to the beach. As I was travelling by myself with my 5 year old and 4 year old, it was crucial that I could just grab my beach bag and go right to the beach without having to drive around, find parking, and schlep 2 young children and beach towels, toys, etc.

The good:
When I booked, the super friendly gal put me in Room 128 as it was on the main level (ease of access), across from the pool, but with the maintenance room blocking the direct view of the pool (so it wouldn't tempt small children to sneak a peek while mom was in the shower) and close to the BBQ. And it delivered on all accounts. Having read the other reviews about the mice, I checked that room from top to bottom and did not find any traces of mice. I'm not sure what side of the hotel they were on, but I was directly beside the vacant lot from which mice tend to come in from. Therefore, I truly do believe the response from the manager that they have rectified the mice issue and truly do everything in their power to prevent that. The room was clean, you can tell there has been new carpet installed recently, there was always some kind of work being done to the property (scrubbing the pool deck, lawn maintenance, sweeping the entrance ways), and all staff were super friendly and helpful. I also found that it does attract quite a lot of families (my children made new friends in the pool every night) and by 10:00 it was dead quiet. The gas BBQs are great and light easily. And did I mention the location??? Gyro beach is steps away (although you do have to cross a fairly busy street), you are a block away from grocery stores/Starbucks/restaurants/bank, and just a short 10 minute drive to get back onto the highway. Oh, and there are 3 wineries less than 15 minutes away too!!! The front desk staff and the cleaning staff are PHENOMENAL!! When I found out Friday morning that I had a family emergency that required my immediate attention back home (I was supposed to check out on Saturday), I went to the front desk, explained the situation and they immediately refunded me the Friday night amount. No hassle, no trying to keep my money as I didn't give 24 hour notice, etc, etc.

The not-so-good: While you can tell they are working on making this hotel a lot better, there is still some work to be done. Paint on the walls is OLD (turning that yellow color), bathroom showers need some upgrading (again, they have turned that yellow color), floors are creaky and you can hear the people above you (luckily not an issue for me as it was another family and they were asleep by 10 every night). However, if you did have someone staying above you who was more night owl inclined, you would be kept awake by their noise. The mattress in the pull out bed is aweful - old, torn and worn. I did read a review saying they have gotten a new shipment of mattresses, but they obviously haven't had the time to change them out as the one I had was hideous. However, after the first night of my children sleeping on this, I brought it up to the cleaning staff and they dug up some kind of a duvet pillow topper for the mattress and it did improve the comfort level quite a bit.

Again, if you are looking for first class, 5 star, swank then do not stay here, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for an enjoyable vacation and can overlook a few minor cosmetic issues then stay here and take that extra $100 a night you'll save and spend it on the wine!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel in July 2012 with our ball team. Some rooms need renovation, but they are working on upgrades. Location and outdoor pool are great. Only big problem is some rooms have mice. Management was very kind and upgraded our room at no charge for the remainder of stay. But who wants to pay to stay somewhere with mice! Hopefully the hotel can resolve this issue completely.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank 123AlbertaTravel
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We arrived on the 23rd of July to an orderly but run down suite. The sofa bed mattress was useless. It was like laying on straight up coils. When we woke up there were mice droppings on the kitchen floor, between the fridge and base cabinets, inside of the cupboards and on top of the counters. My husband took photos as evidence for our complaint but there was no need to produce them. There were droppings visible behind the front check-in desk. We could not get out of there fast enough. The staff were friendly and hospitable although the accommodations were not.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kelowna hotels

Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I don't know how these other people liked this place so much. I stayed there with my two boys for a baseball tournament and it was awful. When we first got there the room smelled funny and the air conditioner sounded like a lawn mower running all the time. I decided it can't be that bad so stayed the reviews were good online. That was stupid!! After checking in with other baseball families found out the hotel had a bad mice problem. Coming back from baseball I found mouse droppings on the kitchen counters. As the day proceeded I found not one but two bed bugs. Freaked out I tried to book another hotel but all was full due to baseball tourney in town. Complained to front office and they moved me to another room but was trying to tell me it wasn't a bed bug. I am an RN and know what a bed bug looks like. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

1 Thank 100Mocha1
Nicki_J_Hughes, Manager at Mission Park Inn, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
It is with regret that I responding to this review. It is always our hope that our customers leave satisfied. I am so sorry that this was your experience at the Mission Park Inn. I do have to admit that we had a problem with a family of mice that was isolated to a certain corner of our building. We immediately called the proffessional pest control company we work with, The Bugman, and he came down and personally inspected the units. We shut the units affected down and have since eradicated the problem. We have also put additional preventative measures so we do not have a repeat problem. I do give you my sincerest apologies but it is unfortunately something that sometimes happens as these rooms border a wooded area and an empty lot that is a haven for small critters. Our property is inspected once a month by The Bugman as per our contract so these things don't happen but it did.
I would like to say to though that we absolutely do not have bed bugs. All of my housekeeping staff is trained to detect this and we also had the Bugman double check to verify that we do not have bed bugs.
Not only do I manage this property but I also live on site with my family. I take these problems very seriously as I do not want to personally live in an environment where there is an infestation of any sort and I do not want any of my guests to ever have to experience any of these issues as well.
Again I am very sorry that this happened during your stay. I would not want to personally have that experience myself. If you would like to contact me personally for any reason I am available Monday - Friday @ 1-800-667-6716.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed from the 4 to the 9th of July and can't find any fault with anything. (Well maybe the sofa mattress could be improved upon.) Everything was clean and the staff were so accommodating. Special props to the Filipino lady who worked there. Always smiling and willing to go the extra mile. Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your review! It will give me great pleasure to pass on the compliment to Mary Jean, who is the employee you spoke of and to the other staff members who all work as a team to make this place the best it can be. You will be happy to know that our shipment of new hide a bed mattresses came in...sorry they had not arrived before your stay!
We will look forward to having you stay with us again sometime.

Best regards,
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Always great staff, great value, super clean and even re-done and upgraded now. Perfect for families!

• Stayed April 2012
Nicki_J_Hughes, Manager at Mission Park Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you Heather for your review. It's always great to see a review that states what we always work hard to acheive. We appreciate your business and will continually keep striving to make your stay better than it was the time before.

Best regards,