“Good value but needs tighter management”
Review of Mission Park Inn

Mission Park Inn
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Reviewed 7 February 2011

While this motel offers good value and is situated at a decent location (right across Mission Park and within short walking distance to shopping malls) with many desirable amenities (outdoor pool, shared bbq, ample seating for eating and lawnchairs for sunbathing, rooms with kitchens and balconies), a few areas need improvement.

My sleep had been poor during my week-long stay there because of loud teenagers using the pool in the wee hours of the night (past midnight). Policy regarding age and size of young renters should be reviewed and/or more strictly enforced. Despite the rule of "no using of pool after 9pm" there were numerous times when I was woken up because of noises emanating from the pool. This is problematic especially because the pool is in the courtyard, therefore enclosed by rooms on three sides.

Another thing is the room itself. We got a one-bedroom apartment and were very happy with the space and the full-size kitchen. However, the lampshades smelled of smoke (it was a non-smoking room) and had to be changed. Overall cleanliness was fine, though when we peeked behind the headboard once to look for an errant earring, we did notice dust balls, which really turned us off.

The entire premise would benefit from a remodelling to update its 60s look, and to improve the acoustics so guests won't hear noises from other rooms or the cleaning activities that take place in the morning. Short of that, though, paying more careful attention to details and making sure obnoxious guests are deterred from staying (or at least kicked out from the inn when rules are violated) are easy, no-cost actions that will attract repeat business. As a matter of fact, many long-term, seasonal return guests whom I've met there indicate that there is already such a client base, which the inn would be silly to lose over easy, actionable improvements.

I should end with a positive note that the staff, from front-desk to house-cleaning, was very friendly and nice. They responded promptly to our requests for more towels on a few occasions. Also, for the price that you'd be paying here, the neighbouring competition would be hard-pressed to match.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Nickijojo, Manager at Mission Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Thank you very much for your review of our property. I appreciate the positive feedback as well as respect your opinions on the areas in which we can improve.
Quality control and security were both areas at the end of the busy season that we as a company recognized needed improving on. We have devised a more systematic approach to cleaning the units as well as increased the amount of inspections by the executive housekeeper and management. This is one area where we cannot afford to be complacent.
We are also adding 4 additional security cameras to the 4 we already currently have. Two will be placed in the pool/hot tub/BBQ area so that management and front desk staff can better monitor what is happening on the property after hours. This in combination with the actual on site security we hire for the weekends will no doubt decrease the amount of after hour disturbances as well as help management identify with certainty who is creating the problems.
Renovations at the Mission Park Inn are on going. We have replaced all of coil top stoves with glass top/self cleaning ovens, we have renovated all of our closet spaces with new white wire shelving and have some great ideas for improving the interior/exterior of the building and pool area. Although completing all of these projects takes time, you can count on continual improvement in the areas of renovation and in how we operate as a business.
As a manager I am responsible for making sure that all areas of the business are operating effectively and not falling short. You are correct when you say areas needed tightening up. We listen to what our customers have to say and I feel becoming part of Trip Advisor has helped me as a manager and our fantastic team of employees see things from our customers perspective. It is my hope that you would visit us again so that you can experience first hand an improved Mission Park Inn.
I thank you for taking the time to write us.
Best regards,
Nicki Hughes
Manager

There are newer reviews for Mission Park Inn

Reviewed 4 October 2010

This is my second long-term stay at the Mission Park Inn, and I must say that it has been a great experience for both occurrences. The staff, rooms, and services have well exceeded what I would normally expect from a lodging facility.

The staff here is very friendly, professional and accommodating to the needs of the tenants/travelers here, which is a very welcome change to many other establishments. The rooms are well equipped to make a long-term stay as comfortable and inexpensive as possible. The room service provided is excellent and professional, and all the staff members are very pleasant. The lodging is located very close to a beautiful park, and there are many great local restaurants nearby.

As a student, I appreciate being able to come home to some place that feels like home (even if the cooking isn't as good). With competitive rates, spacious rooms, and a great staff, you're dollar can't go much farther than the Mission Park Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lefort1
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We were there for a weekend. The rooms fit our needs perfectly, the pool and hot tub are great. The location is perfect, across the street from the park and beach. We were able to take an hour out of our busy days to run across the street and throw the football around. Overall great stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2010

So many things wrong with this place too much to report, but the property is so poorly kept, there was little to be happy with. The worst sofa beds in the world, impossible to sleep in so don't count on using it. Kitchen poor equipped, limited amount of usage if staying for a number of days. i.e had to ask for a can open, not potato peeler, not coffee filters, miss matching dishes and cutlery missing, cheapest equipment possible. Old T.V. that kept cutting out and had to wiggle wire to work. Old shower and shower head, nowhere to put anything as not counter space in bathroom. No dresser in bedroom, drawers in L.R. hard to open as unit was so cheap. Carpets fraying, patio door hard to slide, cigarette butts everywhere on property, hallway smelled and carpet in hall had a huge, old stain!! I could go on and on. All water was shut off one late afternoon, plumbing problem, no warning, and not on again and no "hot" water until the next day! To top it off I saw a mouse run in the kitchen under the fridge! That did it and we had to move to another unit immediately, grabbed everything and it was a huge inconvenience. Family was not happy and a our wits end with this place. We would have moved earlier in our stay but couldn't find accomodations that would work for all of us. We had 2 units for all the family. Sad to say that it is the best location for the beach access but has not done much if anything to make it a decent place. Very misleading adverttising. Would never go back! Put a real damper on our first family holiday with adult kids and grandchildren.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank acphsp
Nickijojo, Manager at Mission Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2010

It is unfortunate that your stay with us was not up to your standards. It is our wish that people leave here with a good opinion and fond memories. I do however feel like I need to point out that the unit that you were checked into just received new carpet and tile this spring. The sofa bed mattress that you slept on the first night was also only a couple months old and when you complained to me personally at the front desk I immediately sent my staff to your unit with a brand new one and this was not sufficient for you. Your unit also received new smallwares prior to the summer and was equipped with a setting for six along with pots/pan, microwave, coffee pot, kettle, toaster. Anything that you asked for our staff provided to you.
There was a main water line that did break underneath one of our units during your stay and it was definitely an inconvenience to everyone. We did not schedule this work to be done without warning to our guests, however we did need to address it immediately as it was underground and an emergency situation. For this I do apologize.
When you needed to relocate rooms my staff offered to help you move all your belongings. We do not have a mouse problem but occassionaly they do appear as we do have some wooded areas and an empty field/lot beside us. We are on a monthly contract with "The Bugman" who comes to take care of the perimeter of building on a regular basis and he was called immediately. I again apologize for this.
We are not a property that is in disrepair. We are continually upgrading and renovating. There was one large stain in the lower level hallway as a result of being full this summer and having lots of traffic. If you were to visit us today you would notice that those are gone. We do care very much about cleanliness, friendliness and quality of stay.
I acknowledge that the water and having to shift rooms was an inconvenience and my front desk supervisor gave you a reduction on your rate and a discounted price for if you ever wanted to try us again. If there is anything else that we could have or should have done in your opinion please call me @ 1-800-667-6716 and I would be happy to talk to you further.
Best regards,
Nicki Hughes
Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2010

Good location, easy access to beach across the road, nearby food outlets. Aircon available only in the living room, the one bedroom window needs to be open for ventilation. It would be noisy if a poolside party was going on. Room is cleaned daily.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This is our second time staying at this hotel. Really great location, clean, friendly stuff and very helpfull. Nice pool right accross your room and the beach accross from the street. We will go back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Phenomenal!

My kids, husband, and I had a wonderful time at Mission Park Inn. The staff was friendly and always there to help you when you need it. The location is ideal, the beach is right across the street; we would walk over every evening to watch the sunset. Not only is the beach right across the street, there is a Save On Foods and a Dairy Queen nearby.
I would recommend this hotel to anybody that would prefer a casual hotel with reasonable rates and a friendly helpful staff. I know the next time that I visit Kelowna that Mission Park Inn will be my first choice of stay. Thanks so much for making our summer pleasurable and enjoyable! We will definitely see you again!
EM