“Excellent horseback riding!”
Review of Myra Canyon Ranch

Myra Canyon Ranch
“Excellent horseback riding!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Very clean ranch. They take care of their horses and animals. All the animals looked happy. Our 5 year old son enjoyed his horse ride. He rode in a special enclosure with a specialized instructor. Her name was Yana and she is really good with children. They do provide clean helmets but you can also bring your own.

Next time our whole family will try the trail rides. Children age 6 and older can participate in trail rides. If under 6, then they ride in an enclosed area special for children.

Excellent ranch and views.

Can only comment about horseback riding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When we arrived it felt like we were not expected. We had to stop a girl in the hallway to say that we were guests. She was very friendly and showed us to the room. She noticed our son and said sorry, I’ll quickly prepare his bed. We went outside to have a look at the horses. By the way, this is not a ranch as such but a B&B with 9 horses. We had some mini-carrots in the car and we fed one horse a couple (they were good enough for my son). 35 seconds later a teenager comes running towards us telling us not to feed the horses. This was done in a rather rude way but ok, he was only a child. I asked politely were I could see that we couldn’t feed the horses and he waived his hand towards something and finally I noticed a small sign on a pole. OK, I guess I should have known but my son was so excited to finally see the horses which we had promised him for months.

The next morning my husband was trying to get hot water in the shower but in vain. I go downstairs to ask if there is a problem. They had not noticed but agreed after testing that there was indeed no hot water. Mr. von Andrian apologized ; it was a fuse. OK, I had no shower that morning as I had booked horse-riding so no time to wait for the water to heat.

At breakfast the girl offered kindly hot chocolate. My husband happily accepted and then waited. And he waited. When finally a staff came we asked if they had perhaps forgotten. The girl left with a “oh!”. Shortly after came Mrs. Von Andrian who told us “but YOU have misunderstood – the chocolate powder is on the breakfast table!” - “sorry, where?” At this point she just said nothing, went to a kitchen drawer at the other end of the room and said “oh, it is here, never mind”. First of all, you don’t expect to be treated dis-respectfully and an apology would have been standard in any other hotel/B&B. Mr. von Andrian did however apologize later, also for the missing spoons, accusing the hot water issue for the mistakes.

The horseriding was good and Poppy, who takes care of the trail rides, was nice.

After horseriding in the morning we left the B&B for the afternoon. When we came back in the evening, the room had not been seen to, ie beds not made and no clean towels which is quite surprising at this price-level. I even had to go and ask for toilet paper which is something I don’t really like to do. Otherwise I would have stayed in a youth hostel.

The next morning’s breakfast was like the day before; in a cold atmosphere common room with a very basic breakfast apart from eggs and bacon which were cooked for those who wanted. For those who don’t appreciate bacon and egg there was not a great deal to eat; 2 or 3 types of bread but in small quantities. There was however a large number of unappealing already opened jars of jam, pickle etc and a small plate with sliced ham and cheese. This morning I was lucky to have one of the 2 muffins available for 8 guests at the table. We came first to the table and I saw the others leave without the muffins having been topped up.

Good points:

Nice view
Large private balcony
Large room
Nice bathroom

Negative points:

Boring breakfast
No coffee/tea facility in room
No TV
Room furnished with Ikea furniture
Our room was not attended to during our two night stay
My husband was told by Mrs. Von Andrian that "it would be really helpful to take off your shoes inside the ranch as we are cleaning daily"

During our holidays in Canada we stayed in places in similar price range and this one was the worst value for money. But what was more disturbing was that it was by far the least friendly place. We didn’t feel welcome, we felt quite uncomfortable being there.

Room Tip: We had the room Eagle's Nest.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anne R
MyraCanyonRanch, Owner at Myra Canyon Ranch, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear guest, thanks for your review. We obviously failed to make you feel comfortable.

We had other guests complaining about you and had to react. Your son refused the booked horse ride (was just crying when getting close to a horse) and you showed up a second time at the breakfast buffet in Mt. Everest-like-boots coming straight back from our paddocks. Little piles of horse poop and the respective smell disturbed all other guests and they mentioned it to you directly and to us. We had already cleaned horse poop trails to your room 2 times in the morning and decided to ask you for the repeated time to take off the "horse"-shoes. As you came for a 2. breakfast very late there were no muffins on the buffet; there are always more available if guests are staying, which you didn't.

There are 17 horses at the ranch and some are boarding horses. The owners do not want them to get fed by guests. This is the reason for the signs and we are happy if this is respected. We had the vet already here after getting treats. This teenager was a horse owners son.

All our guests have the option to let us make the rooms or leave them their room privacy if they stay 1-3 nights. 90 % prefer the privacy option. Towels and toilet paper are in the bathrooms for your convenience.

Coffee/Tee is available 24x7 in our guest kitchen.

No TV at our ranch - as advertised. We recommend our views.

Sincerely
Rolf von Andrian
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A girlfriend and I stayed for one night at Myra Canyon Ranch, Raven Room on Sept 13/13.

Bad points:

-When we checked in and got to our room we saw that our balcony door and screen were left open so our room was full of bugs. And not just little teenie bugs…I mean, big, ugly, “what the hell is that?!” sort of bugs. Like I mentioned, the balcony door was left open so it would’ve been fine if the door was closed. Bugs probably wouldn’t have been present at all.

-No TV. I’ve listed this as a bad point because I like watching tv. I thought it would be nice to have one in the room to watch to unwind before bed. I didn't bother to check before reserving this place if they had a tv in our room or not because I assumed that it is something to be expected. Lesson learned I guess!

-Wifi didn’t work. Upon check in we were given the password and after multiple tries on 2 devices, we couldn’t connect. We figured we were only there for one night and we could live without wifi for one night so we didn’t bother to ask about the wifi problem. But if we were staying for a few days, we would’ve inquired about it and would’ve hoped to have wifi for most of the trip.

-VERY low, to little and then NO water pressure at all during our shower!! I showered before my girlfriend and at first my water pressure was just fine. 5 mins into my shower, the water started sputtering. Maybe someone in another room was taking a shower at the same time? Or lots of water was being used at the same time? My shower took longer than usual due to lack of water pressure. My girlfriend showered right after me and she said her shower started off with low water pressure and it progressively got worse and worse until only drops of water came out of the shower head! She said she literally had to bang the shower head to get any water to come out! She concluded by saying that it was the worst shower she ever had!

-breakfast wasn’t “Gourmet Breakfast” as their website suggests. It was more like a continental breakfast with bread, cheese, yogurt, fruit and toaster waffles. From a bed and breakfast that claimes “gourmet” I would expect a warm breakfast complete with eggs, omelets, bacon and sausage etc…

-it was a little hard to find the location...bring GPS for sure

Good points:

-the view! The view is absolutely breathtaking!! The wrap around deck is a great place to enjoy the views!

-the cleanliness of the place was impressive

-bed was very comfortable

-staff was very polite and friendly

-hot tub on site

-the house itself is quite beautiful

If you want a relaxing, no technology, far from the city kind of B&B then this place is definitely for you. Also if you enjoy horses and horseback riding then this place is for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
MyraCanyonRanch, Owner at Myra Canyon Ranch, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Helen, I am so sorry to hear that you haven't been 100% happy !
Please ask us for help the next time as all your issues could have been so easily addressed and we would have been happy to help !

These "bugs" are grasshoppers and they flood the valley right now. One of them made its way to the decks I assume, sorry for that ! We do not spry chemical killers on our decks with respect to our guests. WiFi was a typo probably as it worked for all other guests, same with the water pressure: Could it have been a handling error ? We are in deed a TV-free location and advertise this as we have views much better than any TV can offer ! Our breakfast offers all these wishes and you should have seen freshly prepared eggs and bacon etc. on your neighbours plates. We prepare them fresh and do not let things sit for hours on our buffet ! And yes we are 20 min from downtown, well, we are a ranch with a view over the valley.
All of them easy points and it would have been a pleasure for us to make you happy !

Sincerely
Rolf von Andrian & family
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately we could only stay one night on our trip from banff to Vancouver. We had the pleasure to stay in the eagles nest with beautiful sights over kelowna. The room was enorm with a excellent bed and bathroom. A complete window wall for perfect light made it completely. Breakfast was great and the service friendly. Recommendation for a kelowna stay!

• Stayed September 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

If you are looking for something a bit special - you've just found it.

Perched on the highest point of the hill, high above the town of Kelowna this idyllic setting has quite breath taking views. Fortunately for us all these can be experienced whilst eating a delicious breakfast, whilst relaxing on your own deck or in the enormous beds, or whilst in the hot tub. No TV's or wall paintings required - the view is all you need.

The ranch has great hosts, wonderful accommodation, a fabulous breakfast and the perfect location. Pretty much unbeatable.
Whilst here we pottered on the beach, cycled on the Kettle Valley Trail and walked in the Knox Park.

It will be fun (or maybe a little sad) to read anyone who scores this place less than five stars....... if trip advisor allowed for 6, we'd give it 6.

Room Tip: We slept in R - 2 double beds, great deck and WHAT A VIEW!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
HK
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in Myra Canyon Ranch on the way to Banff. The ranch has been renovated with large windows, lots of outdoor space, contemporary and pleasant. We stayed in a loft on the second floor with a patio overlooking the beautiful view of Kelowna. At night time, we enjoy soaking in the outdoor Jacuzzi, looking down at the sparkling lights from the distant town of Kelowna twinkle in the dark... so relaxing!
Thanks for the owners, Rolf and Kathy and their children who are attentive and friendly. We miss them all! Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just coming through Kelowna on our trip through BC, we spent a couple of nights on Myra Canyon Ranch in the outfitter tent. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. Having the hospitality of the Rolf, Kathrin and the family on the one side and enjoing the outdoor experience of the outfitter tent on the otherside, made our stay as pleasent and exciting as possible. The locationg of the ranch is just about where you want it to be. We did not only have a great time there but also made good friends. Thank you so much guys!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelowna
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#5 of 34 in Kelowna
Hotel Eldorado
#1 of 34 in Kelowna
Central City
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

Been to Myra Canyon Ranch? Share your experiences!